Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 254538 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Room with a view
« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2013, 09:13:36 am »
Room service cottage pie at Claridges!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: June 03, 2013, 10:02:59 am »
Thanks for the information and photos, H. I trust the cottage pie was excellent?

Offline hollins

« Reply #227 on: June 03, 2013, 10:15:24 am »
Yummy, thanks.
Hope you enjoy it wherever you decide to stay.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #228 on: June 03, 2013, 11:25:15 am »
We've always preferred the Grosvenor House on Park Lane as a good and reasonable place to stay in the West End, and even had our Wedding Reception there 40 years ago.  As I wasn't paying on that occasion it was even more enjoyable!   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #229 on: June 03, 2013, 09:02:48 pm »
I was thinking of treating myself to a stay at Claridges later in the year - anyone been? http://www.claridges.co.uk/

Yes.  Decent prices, good service, lack of obsequiousness and large rooms, plus a good position.  But we prefer the Langham. Even better position and excellent service, although avoid the eye-watering prices for their afternoon teas :-)

Back in the days when I travelled to London on business regularly, I was able to stay at The Langham many times, as it was on the approved list of hotels we could use.  I abused that privilege for years.  $dins$
However, in later years as the purse-strings were tightened by our Finance Director it was removed from the list.

It is (was?) a fantastic hotel, and I miss those times.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: June 04, 2013, 07:32:04 am »
One thing that has interested me when we last stayed there was that the cost of our suite wouldn't have covered the cost of one of the better rooms at the Imperial. But the Langham - in common with most London hotels now - charges per room, whereas I think many Llandudno hotels still charge per person.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #231 on: June 04, 2013, 08:06:01 am »
Most local hotels I can think of charge per room now, it's a far more transparent way of charging.

In London, of course, competition amongst hoteliers for business is so fierce that there has to be great value to be obtained if you look around.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #232 on: June 04, 2013, 09:34:28 am »
There are some very cheap Hostels and Hotels near to the Main Line Stations such as Kings X, Paddington, Victoria, Liverpool Street etc.  ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #233 on: June 04, 2013, 10:48:56 am »
Most local hotels I can think of charge per room now, it's a far more transparent way of charging.

In London, of course, competition amongst hoteliers for business is so fierce that there has to be great value to be obtained if you look around.

Per room is fine, BUT there are certain people who book a room and bring a tribe of people who doss anywhere ! Not my experience,  but that of friends !!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #234 on: June 04, 2013, 12:36:26 pm »
Surely you just specify the maximum number of occupants? Single Room - 1, Double/Twin Room - 2.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #235 on: June 04, 2013, 03:07:07 pm »
Tell you what I mean when I see you DaveR.

Have I any copyright on my posts?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #236 on: June 04, 2013, 03:38:48 pm »
I find these days it is more often that a per person rate is offered when it is a dinner, bed and breakfast rate.
Some places offer the room rate for B&B at the same time as per person rate for DB&B which can be quite confusing.
This was the case at the Lodore where I stayed recently and I heard an argument at checkout over a misunderstanding of the confusing rates.
I travel a lot on my own so the single/double occupancy thing is a bit of a bug bear to me.
Usually a reduction of some sort is made for the single traveller but often it is just the price of one breakfast and the last hotel I booked 2 double rooms (no singles in the hotel) with one person in each but no reduction at all was made.
Switzerland is one of the few countries that I have been to where the single rate is quite often half or at least two thirds of the double room price.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: June 04, 2013, 04:36:07 pm »
Surely you just specify the maximum number of occupants? Single Room - 1, Double/Twin Room - 2.

They do, but some groups are determined to 'sneak' folk in. It's not that easy to check either; are they staying or are they friends, just in for the day? It's a real problem for small hoteliers.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: June 04, 2013, 06:18:49 pm »
Tell you what I mean when I see you DaveR.

Have I any copyright on my posts?
Ok, I appreciate its not easy to police who's coming in and out of a hotel or guest house, even if they've been told max numbers permitted. I'm sure there's some horror stories!  :o

It's practically impossible to stop anyone copying your posts etc, I'm afraid.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #239 on: June 04, 2013, 06:29:33 pm »

It's practically impossible to stop anyone copying your posts etc, I'm afraid.

"Copyright falls under the auspices of intellectual property law and protects the rights of creators of original works of authorship whether the work in question is published or not. Original works of authorship include literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and photography. By law, when something is written, drawn, photographed, etc., its copyright is automatically owned by the author. In other words, a copyright exists at the moment the work is created."
Cicero