Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 254543 times)

Offline Blodyn

Re: Room with a view
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2012, 09:14:23 am »
:-}}} $booboo$

I didn't check which photos I'd posted.  Here (I hope) are the odd cushions - I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to do with them!

Thanks for your comments, Hollins. 

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2012, 09:25:26 am »
A bit of overactive plumping going on there!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2012, 10:52:51 am »
Reminds me of when our daughter went abroad somewhere the towels were twisted into swans everyday !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2012, 08:37:20 pm »
Reminds me of when our daughter went abroad somewhere the towels were twisted into swans everyday !

Whereas the cushions in Blodyn's room have been made into BATMAN !

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2012, 05:33:25 pm »
Last week I had an overnight trip to Worthing and stayed at the Travel Lodge on the seafront (no danger of Batman cushions or swan towels there).  Having booked a budget room I expected a budget view of the backs of the buildings behind.  I was therefore delighted to have a sea view. 

:-}}}

I see I haven't paid enought attention to which photos I've posted - again!  The E view wasn't actually taken from my room, though the view from the room was pretty similar. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2012, 06:19:06 pm »
How did Worthing compare to Llandudno?

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2012, 10:52:08 pm »
Well, I grew up in Worthing but from the first time I came to Llandudno at the age of 7 to visit my father's family, I preferred Llandudno.  I am therefore somewhat biased but I will try to be fair to Worthing. 

"In my day" Worthing was one of the places to which people retired in large numbers, so it had quite an elderly population.  The town has expanded since then and is a bit more lively.  Worthing is much bigger than Llandudno and is composed of a number of parishes which grew together over the years but some of these retain a local identity and organise their own events each year.  The towns along this part of the south coast have similarly spread out and merged together. 

The public gardens are well maintained and Worthing has world class bowling greens.  The prom is long, not as broad as Llandudno's and has less seating.  Cycling is currently allowed on the prom and there are cycle routes along the proms or close to the sea from Worthing to Brighton and I've cycled these (most recently last year) without any problems.  I've also walked along the prom without encountering any problems with cyclists - though there are always a few who go a bit fast.  As Worthing is pretty flat it's good for cycling but the roads are much busier than up here. 

The town centre shopping area near the seafront is pedestrianised and quite pleasant but there are also some shopping precincts which are virtually deserted, while many local shops closed down years ago when the big supermarkets started to open.  There are a number of large hotels along the prom but despite Worthing's slogan of "Come to Sunny Worthing", I would imagine that most holidaymakers would be older people, as there's not much in the way of tourist attractions. 

The pier and seafront shelters seem to be in good condition and provision of public toilets is neither better nor worse than Llandudno's. 

The beach retains its traditional wooden groynes, which control the longshore drift but not the seaweed.  The banks of shingle are natural and there's no problem with wind blown sand, as there isn't any - Worthing beach is largely mud!  (I'm not being rude here, during an A level geology class we analysed the beach material and very little of it was sand.)  My photos are rather misleading because in my experience the sea at Worthing is rarely blue; it may be grey, green or brown but blue is not its usual colour.  The beach slopes very gently and when the tide goes out it goes a long way.  To get to the sea, it is then necessary to negotiate the shingle and trek across a wide expanse of mud with hard-packed ripples and anyone who wants to swim rather than paddle still has quite a way to go.  I'm not sure how well the seaweed is managed these days but there are banks of vigorous seaweed offshore and a good onshore gale redistributes large amounts onto the shingle, where it can gather in huge piles.  When I lived in Worthing, the seaweed would then start to rot and attract flies and on a bad day we could smell it at home, 3 miles inland.  Hopefully it is now removed more quickly (it's a tractor job).  At least the sand at West Shore doesn't smell! 

Worthing is not nearly as scenic as Llandudno but the rolling country of the South Downs behind Worthing is very pleasant. 

I'd like to comment on the Christmas lights for Wrex's benefit.  Unfortunately I can't, as Christmases in Worthing have been spent with family and I've had little reason to go to the town centre. 

Even though Worthing is a large town the hospital seems to be periodically under threat of being downgraded and the hospitals along the south coast have different specialities, so depending upon one's aliment it may be necessary to travel some distance.  This isn't entirely new and the area's maternity hospital has been a couple of towns away for a long time, with the result that, like many people from here, I was born in Shoreham-by-Sea. 

Dave, I'm not sure if that answers your question.  Worthing is pleasant but Llandudno is lovely and this is where I choose to live! 

I'll find a few more photos of Worthing.  Though I doubt I've bothered to take many when the sea's been its usual colour. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2012, 10:05:52 pm »
This week I had a brief trip with work.  On Monday I took the train to Norfolk, where I was picked up by one client to go to another client's office for a meeting.  After that I was dropped off at the B&B I'd booked, to wait for my colleagues to pick me up the next day for another meeting in that area. 

As the very nice Crosskeys B&B is in a village, I'd done my homework and checked that there was pub in the village which served food.  After an early start and eating my lunch too early I was pretty hungry and I trotted off happily to the pub.  It was quite quiet so I asked if they were serving food yet.  "Oh no, we don't do food on a Monday!"   :o  I'd seen a petrol station in the village, did that sell any food?  "That's closed down." Was there a shop? "No."  By this time the few locals were getting interested and suggesting alternative places, the nearest of which was 3 miles away - I then had to explain how I came to be stranded in their village without food or a car (while mentally considering my resources - one apple left from lunch and a squashed cereal bar which I'd been carrying around for ages as "emergency rations" - and wondering how many packets of crisps would make a meal). 

Meanwhile, the barmaid had gone to consult with the manager, who said that she could do me a burger, sandwiches or baked potato, so I had a lovely baked potato with lots of cheese and salad.   :D  I was so pleased that I wanted to take a photo of my plate, as Hollins does, but I was afraid that the locals would think me even odder! 

Well fed, I returned to my pretty room and riverside view for a comfortable night followed by a good breakfast. 

Many thanks to the people of Hilgay for looking after me.

Report on homework: "Could do better."   :(

Offline hollins

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2012, 10:25:46 pm »
Great story Blodyn!
You are making me feel like a real "stick at home" with all your travels. I'm not very brave at going in to a pub on my own, no problem with restaurants and hotels though.
I'm so pleased you got fed and your room and the view look so pretty.
Happy Easter to you!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2012, 10:19:28 pm »
Thanks, Hollins.

I don't think you'll ever be a "stick at home"!  Most of my work trips happen over winter, so I'll probably be the "stick at home" for a while, now. 

Happy Easter to you and to everyone on the Forum. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2012, 09:07:20 am »
Blodyn, I forgot to thank you the other day for your great description of Worthing.  $thanx$

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2012, 06:32:17 pm »
That's OK, Dave.  When I have an idle moment I'll post some more photos of Worthing and Sussex. 

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2012, 08:14:46 pm »
Worthing brings back memories--- my Granny's brother lived there in a house called Old Walls. Dad and I took her there to visit him when I was about 10!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2012, 02:00:09 pm »
I am back from a pleasant couple of days near Criccieth. I stayed at Bron Eifion hotel. I dropped in a bit lucky because they had a new online booking system which very kindly gave me the four poster suite for the price of a single room. I was looked after very well and give them their due they honoured the booking even though they realised before I arrived that there had been a mistake.
Delicious freshly cooked breakfasts with not a buffet in sight!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2012, 02:16:51 pm »
Hollins, that looks a wonderful place to stay - and what a good deal, too!