Author Topic: The Annual Llandudno Pram Race in aid of Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus  (Read 1934 times)

Waffagolf

Another annual event that was first staged on West Shore promenade then thankfully moved to the North Shore promenade was the Annual Llandudno Pram Race in aid of The North Wales Association for Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus. Huge crowds used to gather for it, and all the emergency services would put a team in as well as many local pubs and clubs, it was a wonderful, fast, furios and spectacular event.

Waffagolf

Here's some more pics.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
If my memory serves me, when the Promenade was re-surfaced, the Council banned the 'Pram Race' saying that it would damage the surface.  ???
Dictum Meum Pactum

Waffagolf

There was maybe an element of that. But in the main, I recall the reason being that the event itself, by it's very nature of being fast and furious, was deemed to be too dangerous. It was staged on the West Shore for years in order that the event could be held between the two sea walls as it were, hence when it was moved to the North Shore, barriers had to be used instead of the walls.

I remember Brian Lawson (the guy who owned the company that tarmaced the prom) saying to me once during a round of golf at North Wales G.C., that a Jumbo Jet could land on the prom several times a day and it would be OK. The line of bricks you see on the prom on the seaward side was his idea and the Council went for it (V>B>G).

I recall it was Ian Turner who was told by Aberconwy Borough Council that he would not be allowed to crawl on his hands and knees along the prom in order to try and break the world crawling record, because he would damage the surface of the prom and he would also be disturbing the hotel guests. His response was that his knees did click a bit now and again.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
there used to be a Mile of pennies along the prom too