Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 372354 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Suggestions, problems and queries.
« Reply #765 on: March 16, 2013, 07:31:32 am »
We've both noticed similar in terms of server slowness, Fester.  It can be extremely irritating and - like you - we notice it rarely happens elsewhere.  We're simply not sure what's causing it, other than it has to be a server issue with our provider. The screen freezing thing, however;  that's you, I suspect. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #766 on: March 16, 2013, 09:06:38 am »
Why do you say that Fester is " extremely irritating" ?
That's not very nice and it's not true either.  _))* _))*

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #767 on: March 16, 2013, 10:24:15 am »
 _))* _))*

No, the 'like you' referred to the 'happening elsewhere'....  _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #768 on: March 16, 2013, 10:39:15 am »
I think the screen freezing problem that Fester mentions is the same one as the script problem, i.e. the whole Forum will freeze for several seconds for springing back to life. It usually happens to me when I start typing a new post. Why it happens is a bit of a mystery, to be honest. I had a quick look on the SMF Support Forum and it seems to be this problem:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=477106.0

I might try changing a few things to reduce the load on the Server, to see if that helps.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #769 on: March 16, 2013, 10:48:07 am »
Just wondering if this may be due to Fester's PC needing a good clear out of all the rubbish and files created during normal usage.  I run a program called System Mechanic every 10 days or so and it keeps my PC clean of all the dross that gathers.   ZXZ

Alternatively one can do a disc clean, de-fragmentation and whatever else the machine has built in to clear the rubbish.   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #770 on: March 16, 2013, 11:13:06 am »
We do know there's a script issue, but the error the system is flagging up might not be the one causing the freezing.  It hasn't frozen for me at all, but I do get the script error notification asking if I want to stop the script or continue.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #771 on: March 16, 2013, 05:20:47 pm »
The list of recent posts has been reduced. Is this to help with the other problems? If not could we have the longer list back please?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #772 on: March 17, 2013, 03:15:24 am »
It was one of a couple of things I tried to reduce the load on the Server. I've altered it back now.  :)

Offline rhos.rover

« Reply #773 on: March 17, 2013, 12:33:45 pm »

For the last three evenings I have had only sporadic use of the Forum.
I can access it without problem, but as I try to move between different topics, I get thrown out with the following message.

Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.[/b]

I have to emphasise that neither problem is encountered whilst using any other site. Strange.

I’ve had this problem too Fester. It started last week. No problem with curser or keyboard though.

When I get the message, I have to wait a few mins and refresh the page. As you say, it’s only with this site. As other sites work at this time, can it be my server at fault? It happens about three times an hour. :rage:

I can live with it, but it is a nuisance when I’m enjoying reading a page and have to wait so long to read the next one.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #774 on: March 17, 2013, 06:49:33 pm »
No, it's nothing to do with you. Hopefully, our hosting company, Heart Internet, will sort the problem out shortly.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #775 on: March 17, 2013, 10:56:00 pm »
Ian/Dave, thanks for your responses and investigations into this.  I appreciate it.

Yorkie may also have a point, my laptop is quite old now, and has a load of rubbish files cluttering up the registry.
I will do something about it.
I will also make more use of a newer laptop that I have recently inherited from our own Dave R!

Just to be a little clearer on this screen 'freezing' issue.
What happens is, (and only when I'm using the Forum) that I can be halfway through typing a word, and the word will simply not complete.  Key presses simply do not work for up to 60 seconds or so.  Its very frustrating.
In fact it has happened twice while typing this post.   My hardware to blame I suspect.

Thanks again all.  $thanx$

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #776 on: March 18, 2013, 07:56:15 am »
I've encountered that particular issue before with FF, although not recently. If you were using a Mac, I'd advise running Activity Monitor, which would show you which task is seizing everything up. I don't know if you have anything similar on your laptop. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #777 on: March 18, 2013, 08:22:37 am »
What happens is, (and only when I'm using the Forum) that I can be halfway through typing a word, and the word will simply not complete.  Key presses simply do not work for up to 60 seconds or so.  Its very frustrating.
I get that as well. I'll sometimes type a sentence and only half the words will appear on the screen! As Ian says, it might be something to do with FireFox, I will have to investigate that angle.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #778 on: March 18, 2013, 08:29:33 am »
The irony is that when I was trying to get back into this topic a few minutes ago, I got 'server unavailable'.  Ho hum...

Offline Jack

« Reply #779 on: March 18, 2013, 08:58:31 am »
It happens to me and I am using Google Chrome not Firefox!