Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 372322 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Suggestions, problems and queries.
« Reply #690 on: August 30, 2012, 08:06:27 am »
Also, why have the other 3 Forums I am a member of (including ADVFN.com which is worldwide) not taken this step?
To answer your question about ADVFN, I suggest you try sending me a PM on there and see what happens. Then report back here. ;)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #691 on: August 31, 2012, 09:45:37 am »
As the withdrawal of the PM system has left members without a means of contacting each other privately, I have set up a Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/threetownsforum/
...where Forum Members can join and obviously use Facebook's own messaging system to send each other messages of a private nature.

Any Facebook member can join/use this group. If you don't have a Facebook account, it is quick and easy to set one up.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #692 on: August 31, 2012, 11:50:37 am »
I am wondering if you have not been a little hasty on this matter:

I am a Member of a Forum with 115,532 Members, that has over 20.5 million posts with a maximum number on line at one time of 1,714 and 637 active users on line when I got these figures a few minutes ago.   I understand that there are no plans to alter, modify or close their PM facility either now or in the immediate future.

Personally I see little difference between a Forum such a this and Facebook or any other Forum or Social Internet facility.   If we have to use Facebook for contact it may as well be used for all communication!   I personally dislike Facebook and only use it if I have to, which is very rarely. 
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #693 on: August 31, 2012, 12:25:20 pm »
The difference is that Ian and I are not liable for what goes on at other websites, only this one. It is up to the owners of each website to decide what is best for them. In today's litigation & compensation culture, it pays to be very careful.

Fester gave the example of advfn.com as a site where he could use PMs. What he didn't mention that the PM service on there is only available to paid members, and the revenues raised (amongst other things) pay for ADVFN's legal team to deal with any such problems. Neither Ian or I have the time or inclination to deal with legal problems like that; indeed, any such situation would probably just result in the closure of the entire Forum.

And...at the end of the day, this website is called the Three Towns Forum. The key word is 'Forum', a "a public meeting place for open discussion". If a lack of PM system encourages people to post on the Forum more, then that is surely a good thing.  :)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #694 on: August 31, 2012, 12:50:19 pm »
It is indeed a very litigious society that we live in today, with many people particularly employed in the legal profession, being the main protagonists.  Solicitors and Legal Advisors are only too eager to jump on any act or omission whether it is a recent happening or something from years ago!  The acceptance of normal risk in everyday life has long since gone.

As far as the Forum is concerned the day of Free Speech is over and the Admins or Moderators will have to get out their blue pencils are start editing or otherwise censoring posts.   No doubt this has also crossed your minds.
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #695 on: August 31, 2012, 01:05:37 pm »
Even I get on with Facebook, I've found it to be very usefull, like anything online some care is needed with some links etc
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #696 on: August 31, 2012, 02:30:33 pm »
IAs far as the Forum is concerned the day of Free Speech is over and the Admins or Moderators will have to get out their blue pencils are start editing or otherwise censoring posts.   No doubt this has also crossed your minds.
 ZXZ
Indeed it has. Fortunately, compared to a lot of Forums, everyone on here is well behaved.  $good$

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #697 on: August 31, 2012, 08:26:10 pm »
I am a member of a free forum which has thousands of members, & still has pm facilities.
 BUT: If dave & Ian have ANY probs with the legalities of this site regarding this facility, then this facility should be removed. Dont forget, the administration of this forum is voluntary.
So lets all go with the flow, & not argue. - - - - some will.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #698 on: August 31, 2012, 10:17:25 pm »
IAs far as the Forum is concerned the day of Free Speech is over and the Admins or Moderators will have to get out their blue pencils are start editing or otherwise censoring posts.   No doubt this has also crossed your minds.
 ZXZ
Indeed it has. Fortunately, compared to a lot of Forums, everyone on here is well behaved.  $good$

It's about time we put a stop to that!  :laugh: :twoface:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #699 on: September 02, 2012, 01:50:51 am »
OK, whether we like it or not, the PM facility has been deleted, fair enough.

So, here is a little 'shout out' to those members who had occasion to send me a PM over the last 12 months...but can't drop me a line anymore, (as I am not a facebooker)

To, Pendragon, BriRoberts, Dave R, Pentan, Merddin Emrys, Scott, Nemesis, Yorkie, Cbrian51, Gaylord Screwsby, Suepp, The Medz, Trojan, Rosie, WREX, Quiggs, Mike Ormegolf,  IAN, Snowcap,  PC Mike Smith,  BayLad, Andrea 1976, Curly Cap...

If you want to reach me, you can drop me a line on ...  peter@llandudno-emporium.com

Look forward to hearing from you....

Fest.
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #700 on: September 02, 2012, 02:25:49 am »
OK, whether we like it or not, the PM facility has been deleted, fair enough.

So, here is a little 'shout out' to those members who had occasion to send me a PM over the last 12 months...but can't drop me a line anymore, (as I am not a facebooker)

To, Pendragon, BriRoberts, Dave R, Pentan, Merddin Emrys, Scott, Nemesis, Yorkie, Cbrian51, Gaylord Screwsby, Suepp, The Medz, Trojan, Rosie, WREX, Quiggs, Mike Ormegolf,  IAN, Snowcap,  PC Mike Smith,  BayLad, Andrea 1976, Curly Cap...

If you want to reach me, you can drop me a line on ...  peter@llandudno-emporium.com

Look forward to hearing from you....

Fest.

Would love to know what you and Pentan were PMing about!! >>>
Is he still around? I quite miss him.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #701 on: September 02, 2012, 07:09:58 am »
Fester, if you visit your PROFILE and click on ACCOUNT SETTINGS, you can include your E-MAIL ADDRESS in there.

You just need to ensure you tick the box to ALLOW USERS TO E-MAIL ME.

The facility will then show up just under your name with any posts you make.

You see the small envelope over to the left now.

Hover your cursor over it with your mouse to see Email.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #702 on: September 02, 2012, 11:36:11 am »
Ah Fester we won't forget about you Mr Man  ;D  You sound all left out there.  I'll send you an email shortly  :-*
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #703 on: September 02, 2012, 01:10:32 pm »

I do not think this will make any difference to the legal responsibility of the site owners as the mail will be set up using a template on the site and the routing will be via the normal hosting company and its procedure.    :(
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #704 on: September 02, 2012, 10:57:44 pm »

I do not think this will make any difference to the legal responsibility of the site owners as the mail will be set up using a template on the site and the routing will be via the normal hosting company and its procedure.    :(

Better disable that feature as well then!
Fester...