Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 372669 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Suggestions, problems and queries.
« Reply #570 on: July 29, 2011, 04:07:01 pm »
I notice that the post I left after Merddin has also been censored.  I really did think that this Forum was supposed to be a little bit above the others.  Obviously NOT!     I agreed with Merddin.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #571 on: July 30, 2011, 11:31:04 am »
I missed all this, being otherwise occupied-- it was my address that someone posted and as soon as I spotted it I pm'd Dave who rapidly removed it.
If the members who are objecting to a censor system had had the problems myself and my OH have had in the past with a certain blog publishing  scurrilous and untrue gossip they would understand what the moderaters are trying to do.
Keep up the good work Dave and Ian, I am with you and will respect your decisions.
Nemesis
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #572 on: July 30, 2011, 11:46:39 am »
Nemesis,I think you have misunderstood.

I, and I am sure others, are not objecting to censorship and regard it as an essential part of any Forum or Blog.   It is essential to keep people's private information and bad language off the system but to censor a word such as the one beginning with r and the one beginning with t is tantamount to idiocy.  I wanted to put RIP in full on the Amy Winehouse Obit but it would not be accepted.  Instead I got "o in Peace".   How ridiculous does that look.  So I had to change my whole comment.

Running a Forum or Blog is not easy for Moderators as they have to keep watch on almost an hourly basis.

As for being affected by information - I have had my share of aggravation as some on this Forum can confirm.  Being an ex Councillor with a fairly high profile some seem to regard me as a target for their inane comments.  Let them come as far as I am concerned, I'm a big boy now with broad shoulders and thick skin.   All I ask is that they leave my family alone.   I am quite capable of taking care of my own problems.

Let the Forum continue but lets  keep it on a proper footing from both contributors and Administrators.
Cicero

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #573 on: July 30, 2011, 08:06:56 pm »
Hear Hear!

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #574 on: August 02, 2011, 09:53:40 am »
O'h no! Where has the recent posts list gone? Please tell me it is coming back????

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #575 on: August 02, 2011, 10:08:33 am »
The Forum software has been upgraded to the most recent version.  In the process, all of the settings and modifications have been reset. I will flick the switch on the 'recent posts' section...as soon as I find it!  :D

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #576 on: August 02, 2011, 10:44:53 am »
I thought my computer was playing up  $good$
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #577 on: August 02, 2011, 10:48:00 am »
That's back up there now. Thanks

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #578 on: August 02, 2011, 12:08:52 pm »
Does anyone else have problems when typing a longish post or when typing after a longish quotation?  I find that if I do this the line I'm typing eventually disappears from the box and jiggles along out of sight, so that I can't see what I'm doing. 

The update seems to have cured this!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #579 on: August 02, 2011, 07:46:42 pm »
I have added in a new section as an experiment - http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,27.0.html - this uses the News Bot to automatically pull in news stories from sources such as the BBC, Daily Post and Weekly News. I am not sure how well it will work but will give it a try.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #580 on: August 02, 2011, 08:00:00 pm »
I picked it up last time I signed on and I thought you had a nuisance Bot - now I see.  Will give it a shufftie from time to time and see how it goes for me.  :D
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #581 on: August 02, 2011, 08:02:07 pm »
It may end up being too annoying and get the boot, but we can give it a try.  ;D

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #582 on: August 03, 2011, 09:19:27 am »
Love the new style and finding it just as easy to use except for one small thing -  I see that the MARK AS READ option at the heading of each Topic has disappeared.  I used this to remove the new post icon on subjects that were of no interest to me.   Has it gone forever or can it be re-instated?   
$thanx$
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #583 on: August 03, 2011, 09:34:11 am »
It all looks very good, but re mesages, I can no longer see an out box (to remind me of messages sent) and how can I see at a glance if there is a new message ? the old system told me at the top of the page. Only occasionally did I receive an email telling me that I had a new message.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #584 on: August 03, 2011, 11:14:36 am »
I can no longer see an out box (to remind me of messages sent)
Click on 'My Messages' at top of screen, then hover the mouse over the orange coloured 'Messages' icon under the banner ad, and you'll see 'Sent Items' in the popup menu. Click on that to view Sent PMs. The direct link is here:
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=pm;f=sent

how can I see at a glance if there is a new message ? the old system told me at the top of the page.
Still does. The 'My Messages' link will change to 'My Messages (1)' or similar whenever you receive a PM.