Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 372642 times)

brumbob

Re: Suggestions, problems and queries.
« Reply #375 on: March 05, 2011, 04:02:47 pm »
Do you think they get priority  :laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #376 on: March 12, 2011, 08:01:08 am »
There's just been an interesting piece on the Today programme about local media, more specifically about how 'hyper local' websites are popping up to replace traditional forms of media such as local radio and newspapers. It occurred to me that the Forum is part of these changes - when it comes to local news, we are probably ahead of both the local papers and radio. I wonder if there is potential to expand the site to have a separate local news page, (probably on the front page of the site) whereby a group of trusted volunteers each cover their own area and contribute small news articles/photos?

Yorkie

« Reply #377 on: March 12, 2011, 10:43:22 am »
Maybe a separate site with a link either way would be more suitable.  One can browse the local press already and you could well finish up with a lot of copy and paste items that are merely a copy of stuff already available.  Not something I want.

brumbob

« Reply #378 on: March 12, 2011, 10:44:56 am »
the local press online is usually ancient news

Yorkie

« Reply #379 on: March 12, 2011, 11:08:59 am »
Maybe in Brum - but most Local and National Newspapers are now available on line on day of issue! 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #380 on: March 12, 2011, 11:15:11 am »
Maybe in Brum - but most Local and National Newspapers are now available on line on day of issue! 
Very true, although there is usually a delay in publishing articles online to avoid damaging print sales too significantly and not all articles appear online.

The thing about any newspaper is that the news is always out of date, to some degree, due to the news gathering and printing/distribution process. The Forum was way ahead of both the Daily Post and Weekly News with the news of Alworths closure and seizure by Landlords, for example. As for Tudno FM, is it even still going - their latest news article on http://www.tudnofm.co.uk/ is about the Celtic Fayre that took place nearly six months ago!

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #381 on: March 12, 2011, 11:54:12 am »
The Pioneer gets delivered to within 100 metres of us on the outskirts of Conwy, but not to us because I'm told there are no pavements!

I had therefore been viewing it online but the facility to view the Llandudno edition seems to have disappeared in recent times and only the CB one is available. Not that it makes that much difference!

Yorkie

« Reply #382 on: March 12, 2011, 12:45:05 pm »
I think the pieces of news we get on the Forum at present are enough, and the threads in which they are included are adequate.   A Forum is described as a place for open discussion on matters of mutual interest.  Let's keep it as that.  But then, it is the prerogative of the site owners to do as they see fit!

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #383 on: March 12, 2011, 01:18:28 pm »
Perhaps we could mirror the latest postings in Stop Press on the front page? Certainly worth thinking about, since that's one of the prime functions of a local forum.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

brumbob

« Reply #384 on: March 12, 2011, 03:15:24 pm »
You've got to be kidding, have you looked lately at the Chronicle/Pioneer/Bangor&Anglesey Mail/Weekly News, all ancient news. I'll give you the Post has some up to date articles.
As for Brum, the local news couldn't be more up to date http://www.birminghammail.net/news/birmingham-news/

Yorkie

« Reply #385 on: March 12, 2011, 04:20:46 pm »
Yeh - of course I was kidding!    L0L    L0L    Most of the "local" rags around here are only interested in what Mrs Jones (or another) had on her washing last 2 months ago!     L0L   L0L

Yorkie

Re: System Announcements
« Reply #386 on: March 30, 2011, 11:20:40 am »

But there's a more elegant way. [/b] Look for text coloured like this/  That means it's a hyperlink and will redirect you to the destination url without having to print the entire URL in full.

Except that today the pictures that the coloured like this links to ain't working!  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:36:51 am by Ian »

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #387 on: March 30, 2011, 11:28:37 am »
Except that today the pictures that the "coloured like this" links to ain't working!

I've just checked and they are for me.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Yorkie

« Reply #388 on: March 30, 2011, 11:41:46 am »
Everything else is working for me except that page (on;ly the illustartions).   Even clicking "show picture" does nowt!   C'est la vie.  I know how to do it so it don't really matter.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #389 on: March 30, 2011, 01:20:18 pm »
It could be because I'm using pics from the photo gallery and embedding them into the post, rather than simply uploading them as is the norm.  Wonder if anyone else is having a problem?