Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 373014 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Problems and questions regarding the Forum
« Reply #315 on: February 26, 2011, 10:48:30 am »
As a trial, I have installed AdBrite Advertising on the Forum. Unlike Google Adsense, this means we get paid every time an Ad is displayed, rather than based on the number of time an Ad is clicked.

As before, any revenues raised will go to pay for the running costs of the Forum, with any surplus being distributed to non-profit organisations in the Three Towns area.

$3towns$

brumbob

« Reply #316 on: February 26, 2011, 11:03:11 am »
As a trial, I have installed AdBrite Advertising on the Forum.
Where,
will it be in the part under this post that at the moment says:
Gathering data...
Please allow up to 3 hours for this zone to activate. Contact customer service with any questions.

Great news if it helps with the running costs, nobody ever clicks on adverts.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: February 26, 2011, 11:11:57 am »
That's it, and it will appear at the top as well, rotating with the Photography and Emporium ads. I have removed Betboo for now. That's betboo.com  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: February 26, 2011, 11:18:49 am »
Well it doesn't quite work like that, Show unread posts since last visit only shows the last new post in a thread, there could be twenty new posts in a thread but in the 'new post' list only the last one will show up.

Actually, I said "In short, if you want to keep in touch with everything on the forum, always use Show unread posts since last visit" and it does mean you do just that.  I had thought folk would have realised that to do as you suggest would lead to the index being inundated with posts and therefore unreadable, which is why I didn't point that out. However, since you have, it shows you the last post in any topic where there have been any new posts since your last visit.  Obviously, the software designers have tried for brevity and to keep the interface as uncluttered as possible, so the simple

Show unread posts since last visit.

works rather better than a two-page diatribe explaining its foibles.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:23:16 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: February 26, 2011, 11:19:55 am »

Actually, they do, and frequently.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #320 on: February 26, 2011, 11:32:11 am »
I have removed Betboo for now. That's betboo.com  $good$

:( :( :'( I'll miss seeing the advert for  www.betboo.com  8)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: February 26, 2011, 11:43:37 am »
Yeess..almost become like a old friend

ΒΆΒΆ##

brumbob

« Reply #322 on: February 26, 2011, 12:19:15 pm »
Actually, I said "In short, if you want to keep in touch with everything on the forum, always use Show unread posts since last visit" and it does mean you do just that.  I had thought folk would have realised that to do as you suggest would lead to the index being inundated with posts and therefore unreadable, which is why I didn't point that out. However, since you have, it shows you the last post in any topic where there have been any new posts since your last visit..

Actually, I didn't suggest anything of the sort.

brumbob

« Reply #323 on: February 26, 2011, 12:23:49 pm »
Quote from: brumbob
Actually, they do, and frequently.
Obviously not enough to finance the forum.

hmmm, something just went wrong with the quotes :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:15:57 pm by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #324 on: February 26, 2011, 03:13:36 pm »
Okay.  You said:

Well it doesn't quite work like that, Show unread posts since last visit only shows the last new post in a thread, there could be twenty new posts in a thread but in the 'new post' list only the last one will show up.

but that was in response to my pointing out that

" if you want to keep in touch with everything on the forum, always use Show unread posts since last visit
"

It seemed to me that the clear inference of your posting was either that the information I gave was erroneous - otherwise why would you have bothered posting, or you were being pedantic about the phrase itself. Now, if it was to expand upon the phrase, Show unread posts since last visit, then you should have referred directly to the quote and not simply written "Well it doesn't quite work like that,", because that implied that you disagreed fundamentally with what I was posting and were not merely being pedantic, which is what you now seem to be suggesting.

If you were simply being pedantic, and wanted to show that the phrase was in error, then I refer you back to where I stated

"I had thought folk would have realised that to do as you suggest would lead to the index being inundated with posts and therefore unreadable, which is why I didn't point that out. "

In other words, I assumed that most folk understood already that "Show unread posts since last visit" would simply show the last post in any topic which had new postings in, which, of course,  tacitly links to all unread posts thus, in effect, proving that what it says is correct,  because it does show all unread posts, and makes the process navigable by only showing the last in any topic.

brumbob

« Reply #325 on: February 26, 2011, 03:44:43 pm »
Just stop being so pompous and making condescending replies Ian, though I'm sure that you at least think you're right.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:03:52 pm by brumbob »

Yorkie

« Reply #326 on: February 26, 2011, 04:42:40 pm »
  >>>    >>>    >>>    >>>

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: February 27, 2011, 08:10:20 am »

Just stop being so pompous and making condescending replies Ian, though I'm sure that you at least think you're right.

Posting an abusive posting instead of dealing with the points raised is in contravention of our T & C.  I haven't been abusive towards you;  I've merely stated facts. If you can't express yourself in a reasonable way, then your posts will be edited or removed.

And I've sorted out your quotes.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:12:31 am by Ian »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #328 on: February 27, 2011, 04:49:15 pm »
The flashing "you're the 9999,999 visitor, You've won a prize" thingy at the bottom of the page everytime I post is really starting to get on my nerves.  If I try and close it I get redirected to a bingo/lotto site. Can I stop it..........or can you please?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #329 on: February 27, 2011, 04:59:14 pm »
How is that possible, I'm the 999999999999999999999999999,999th visitor and also I think, the 10,000th visitor this morning too  _))* , I found the flashing annoying too  :rage:  Bring back www.betboo.com  I say  :D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas