Author Topic: Suggestions, problems and queries.  (Read 372715 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Re: FAQs: pop in here if you're wondering how to do anything
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2010, 07:45:50 am »
I said ''Simple'' didn't I?

That was!

Here's roughly how it all works.

Compressing a jpeg - which is already a lossy medium - doesn't usually achieve the desired effect.  But any image manipulation software has a setting for 'resolution', and that's what you need to look for.

The reason is simple: on screen, we see images that are 96 dpi (dots per inch) as clear, but if we were to print those images, they wouldn't look as good, owing to our brains' ability to compensate for what we see on screen.  Thus, to print out a photo, for instance, you would need to set the resolution to 300 dpi. 

When you take a pic on your camera, the software you use on your computer makes adjustments to show the entire image on your screen at the lowest resolution, but it doesn't change the resolution of the original image, which will be pretty high - usually between 300 and 600 dpi. What you have to do, in effect, is to make a copy of the image in a much lower resolution, so it displays perfectly on a screen.

It's very simple, once you understand the relationship between 'size' and 'resolution'.  Also, to help you out, most image manipulation software has a little percentage box somewhere at the bottom, which can be set to 100%, and when you do that, you can see just how large the image really is.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline TELL

Re: Problems and questions regarding the Forum
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2010, 05:00:04 pm »
My neighbour's case rests I think!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2010, 05:49:52 pm »
Perhaps instead of dismissing the place, he might make some effort to contribute and make it what he prefers it to be. 
That's it in a nutshell. If people aren't prepared to contribute, then they can't really complain about the content, can they?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2010, 05:57:06 pm »
The practice of making facetious asides or responses to serious questions happens a fair bit, but perhaps we need to moderate the practice a bit.  It can become tiresome when you've asked a question and all that happens is folk post what they consider witty comments. It's human nature to try to make light of things, but perhaps there are places for it, and maybe we shouldn't do it in every topic. 
I agree, the more serious discussions (i.e. all those not in the Members' Lounge section)  need to be kept clear of that sort of stuff. It doesn't encourage anyone new to post, really.  :)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #169 on: November 17, 2010, 08:55:46 pm »
How do I add my own smileys to a post.  :D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2010, 11:41:52 pm »
A question if I may...

Have some posts been erased recently?   And if so why?
I have been away for a couple of days and I have found a couple of threads not as I remember them.

The example which prompted my question is on the Local Eyesores thread.
Tolly made a point ... I posted a remark ...I recall Trojan posted something after that... but only Tolly's remark remains, and the others are gone.

Please don't tell me that this is due to the remarks being deemed 'frivolous' in a 'serious' topic ... all due to an inconspicuous complaint from one person who never posts anyway?

Please advise...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2010, 07:14:53 am »
We're not deleting posts, Fester, but we do move some to pop them into more appropriate topics.  Most of the local eyesores topic towards the end was moved into this topic because it had drifted so far off subject.   

The only two reasons for deletion are legal and personal.  If there's a legal issue we have to act immediately. If something's been posted that affects another member of the forum, we might also act, depending on its severity.  But we both oppose deletion, other than in exceptional circumstances. Capricious deletion in the old forum is exactly how Dave and I come to be running this one today.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:18:34 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2010, 07:23:40 am »
Click the 'additional Options' link (bottom LH side of the new post box)  and it reveals a box which says 'Attach".  You can then browse to a smiley you have and it will be uploaded with your post.  It won't, however, be n the normal smiley location.  To do that, your smiley would have to be added to our smiley sets, which we can do, if you wish.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2010, 09:32:16 am »
Thanks Ian ....
So where am I going wrong with the search tool then?
I looked for my remark regarding eyesores, and Trojan's follow up... and I still can't find it.
If its only been moved, then I thought it would appear in some archive, or miscellaneous tidy up thread?  ..but no.

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2010, 05:49:40 pm »

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2010, 07:04:38 pm »
Ian, our moderator, our starbased commander. I must congratulate you on the technical excellence in your reply immediately before my post.  Not because of its technical excellence------No------its because of the time.   07.23 and, wait for it, thats A.M.        I take my hat of to you and return to under the blankets!!!!  Mike

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2010, 08:39:32 pm »
Shucks....

:laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2010, 12:02:54 am »
May I enquire as to why?  thats not where I left it.

Something smells fishy!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:05:08 am by Fester »
Fester...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2010, 12:13:37 am »
I didn't know that there was more than one 7.23 in each day ..... ZZZzzzzz

Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2010, 08:08:11 am »
'Twas moved because the initial post and all the subsequent ones were off topic, and belonged in the current topic. They were, after all, questions about the forum....