Author Topic: Recycling across the area  (Read 104058 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Recycling across the area
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2011, 04:21:01 pm »
Recycling was done on the cheap in Conwy. Other Welsh councils do a far better job.

Indeed. But this is one significant argument against localisation.  Throughout the UK, it's likely that most people have a fairly typical waste output, which would suggest that a single, centralised system of collection and disposal could have been introduced.  Economy of scale in manufacturing both bins and vehicles, plus the obvious advantage of every council not having to reinvent the wheel from scratch might have been a wiser course of action.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2011, 04:45:41 pm »
That sounds very logical to me  :)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2011, 07:56:40 pm »
Couldn't agree more with Dave's comment.

As far as I am concerned I think there is much too much primary sorting of the rubbish.  It is possible to construct a sorting machine that will sort almost any substance from another.  Such machines could be built to benefit from economy of size and with a throughput that would make the local recycling centre look the size of a pimple on an elephant's backside.   This could only be done by a countrywide agreement to enter the system, so it must be a Central Government initiative.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2011, 04:26:04 pm »
I've now phoned the council and I asked if it was council policy to not use the bricks and the lady said something about different staff over Xmas and it was an oversite, I'll get a new one in the post.  To me what a waste of council money!

I hope you like the new brick these silly idiots will probably send!    _))*

This morning a new green bag arrived, postage cost of 65p

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2011, 06:09:03 pm »
Congratulations,  the postage alone has cost me .0022p without the cost of the bag!   Please be more careful with your bag in future, I cannot afford this extravagance!      L0L   L0L   L0L

Have a Happy New Year!
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2011, 07:31:09 pm »
Yes plus the cost of the envelope, bag itself and a member of staff's time! The old bag is now possibly in Rhyl  :laugh:

Happpy new year!

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2012, 03:56:04 am »
The recycling van(postponed from Thursday)that was due to arrive yesterday(Friday) actually turned up at something past six this morning(Saturday). No matter, all those incriminating wine bottles from holiday excesses are now dispatched. Sadly only to be replaced in the recycling box by this evening's supply.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2012, 08:59:33 am »
Just been down to get the Paper and the NWWN (why the latter I don't know) and the streets are strewn with bins, boxes and bags that have been blown into the road AFTER they have been emptied!   Seems that the refuse lads have difficulty in making them secure when empty!  Yet another flaw in the system!
 >>>
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2012, 09:41:05 am »
Just been down to get the Paper and the NWWN (why the latter I don't know) and the streets are strewn with bins, boxes and bags that have been blown into the road AFTER they have been emptied!   Seems that the refuse lads have difficulty in making them secure when empty!  Yet another flaw in the system!
 >>>

See the post I made a week ago, I've put it out again today with bricks again, we'll see what happens!

We put the recycling box and bags out this morning along with two bricks to stop the wind blowing it away. When we arrived home we find the grey box and lid blown into next door's slate tip (recently landscaped front garden) the green plastic bag has been blown into oblivion and the two bricks are sat on the lawn with nothing but grass beneath them!!   $angry$ $angry$

How hard can it be to put a brick on top of something to stop it blowing away? I've always said it was a stupid system having these bags, from now on they can stick it until the council gives us proper boxes to use!

:rage:

I've now phoned the council and I asked if it was council policy to not use the bricks and the lady said something about different staff over Xmas and it was an oversite, I'll get a new one in the post.  To me what a waste of council money!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2012, 01:51:32 pm »
Recycling collected, bricks used, no problem, someone must have listened!  +}}{-- <:<:<:<

{}{}

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2012, 09:24:53 pm »
Couldn't agree more with Dave's comment.

As far as I am concerned I think there is much too much primary sorting of the rubbish.  It is possible to construct a sorting machine that will sort almost any substance from another.  Such machines could be built to benefit from economy of size and with a throughput that would make the local recycling centre look the size of a pimple on an elephant's backside.   This could only be done by a countrywide agreement to enter the system, so it must be a Central Government initiative.
The number of boxes and the issue of what happens in the wind is recognised as a problem and a weak link in the current solution.
There is a sorting machine at Gofer site to seperate the plastic and different metals.
By keeping the paper seperate, it means it is not contaminated and the Council acheives a better premium from Shotton Paper Mill.
Speaking with Cllr Mike Priestley yesterday, I understand that a trail of the new box system should be available in March. Later than expected due to finding funding (i.e. not from the Council Tax)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2012, 09:44:05 pm »
The number of boxes and the issue of what happens in the wind is recognised as a problem and a weak link in the current solution.

I would have thought that it was an obvious problem right from the start, to have the green plastic bag for paper, highly likely to blow away if the operative does not put the brick on it. It seems we need one wheelie bin for normal rubbish, one weighted box with hinged lid for paper and another similar box for the rest. But you need somewhere to store them and if you're out and it's windy and the bricks have not been used....

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2012, 11:58:10 am »
Why in this day and age should one need a bloody brick to satisfy the requirements of the Council's recycling programme?

>>>
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2012, 12:23:08 pm »
Why in this day and age should one need a bloody brick to satisfy the requirements of the Council's recycling programme?

>>>

Due to the fact that the system is ludicrous!  And it's at least two bricks :rage:

Does anyone still have the small battery bag?  What a joke that was L0L

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2012, 01:49:05 pm »
Due to the fact that the system is ludicrous!  And it's at least two bricks :rage:

Does anyone still have the small battery bag?  What a joke that was L0L

I thought that two bricks were only neccessary when castrating camels!    L0L   
Just have to be careful to keep your thumbs out of the way!    :o

Yes, I still got the battery bag which is well used for disposing of all the used batteries from mice, remote controls, cameras and all the other impedimenta that seems to rely on battery power nowadays.  I even buy in bulk on the Internet!     ZXZ
Cicero