Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 546486 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #990 on: September 03, 2014, 09:17:42 pm »
How beautiful. I hope there is still some sand on the beach for it in years to come.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #991 on: September 03, 2014, 09:20:24 pm »
Thanks for posting the photo,  I'll pop up there this weekend to have a look.   

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #992 on: September 03, 2014, 09:22:13 pm »
Top Pen. Just before the Ski slope car park.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #993 on: September 03, 2014, 09:27:37 pm »
How beautiful. I hope there is still some sand on the beach for it in years to come.

Totally agree about the beach. Just feel so fortunate being in the incredible position of ,every day, being able to see these donkeys roaming and rolling around in their fields on the hill.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #994 on: September 03, 2014, 10:06:23 pm »
Another couple.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #995 on: September 03, 2014, 11:31:23 pm »

Given the vehement nature of the protests regarding the beach being turned into 'rocks'
... I am surprised that very few seem to be using the bit of beach that remains.
All through August it was only half full, and now in a sunny, warm September, there is NO ONE using it, so what's the point?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #996 on: September 26, 2014, 09:15:25 pm »
I've been walking with my dog on the beach at Old Colwyn recently and there have been loads of Jellyfish stranded on the beach after the rough tides that we have been having.  They are mostly the ones that look like plants but there have been others which are a blue colour with a marking like a cross.
My dog doesn't seem bothered about them but does tend to mark things that are lying on the sand.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #997 on: October 04, 2014, 09:11:51 am »
Julian Hughes from RSPB Conwy reveals why birding is on a high as autumn approaches.
Almost predictably, as soon as the school holidays ended, high pressure brought settled weather to North Wales.

These conditions can bring “drift migrants” – Scandinavian birds that drift west into British airspace, where light rain can ground them.
A few Tree Pipits and a Dotterel were the best that the Great Orme could provide, although good numbers of Wheatears and Whinchats were scattered along the coast.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/bird-notes-good-autumn-weather-7749923

Offline SteveH

« Reply #998 on: October 14, 2014, 12:29:48 pm »

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #999 on: October 30, 2014, 11:13:00 am »
                While walking along a beside a river yesterday I came upon this little fella sitting in the middle of the footpath and he didn't move even when I stopped to photograph him from inches away. As there were a few people with dogs in the area I picked him up and put in the leaves and grass a few feet back from the path where he just sat there looking at me and carried on munching! What struck me was that he showed absolutely no fear whatsoever even when I picked him up and seemed completely unfazed by the presence of what must have seemed a giant taking an interest in him. Someone passing said it was a shrew or a vole but I think it was some kind of mouse. Can anyone tell me what it was?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1000 on: October 30, 2014, 11:34:45 am »
Hi G. Great photo...  I think it is a long tailed field mouse/Wood mouse?

Offline Jack

« Reply #1001 on: October 30, 2014, 04:49:07 pm »
Yes, that cute little fellow is a wood mouse!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1002 on: November 03, 2014, 06:25:52 pm »
When I was walking my dog on the  Old Colwyn beach today I came across the dead body of a very large spotted Dogfish.  Unfortunately I could smell it even before I saw it but that didn't seem to put the Seagulls off.      :puke2:

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1003 on: November 03, 2014, 08:10:16 pm »
Omg......... a good job Marco didn't decide to roll in it!

Quite a few seals around in Angel Bay on Friday. very vocal they were too!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1004 on: November 04, 2014, 12:13:40 pm »
Bird Notes
A Snow Bunting remains at Llandudno’s West Shore as does a Black-necked Grebe at Bodfari. A Black Redstart was on the Little Orme watching the seals in Angel Bay.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/bird-notes-twite-ultimate-little-8045569