Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 546742 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #495 on: February 28, 2012, 08:08:37 pm »
Yes--no

possibly, although the back door is white and even with it's limited vision I would have thought that it would have seen that !

no.-- not legally.  ;D

I opened the back door and it was on the step. It was still daylight, so I followed the instructions on the web page and transferred it to a box, with water and a crumpled cloth to hide in. As I moved it it clung to my gardening glove, squeaked madly and bared it's teeth at me. Quite a nasty expression on it's face really. I had to leave my glove in the box as it was fastened to it!
I daren't leave it on the step as we get alot of cats passing through, so if it is still ok in the morning a friend of a friend knows a bat man !!! Wonder if he'll come in a batmobile???
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #496 on: February 28, 2012, 08:13:36 pm »
If I had tried to help it, and it had snarled at me like that.... I would have got the shovel out and bashed its beak in!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #497 on: February 28, 2012, 08:24:05 pm »
Bats haven't got beaks!  :D

No robin in the garden to help out?  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #498 on: February 28, 2012, 08:33:03 pm »
Not after I hit it with a shovel it wouldn't! 
Fester...

Offline Paddy

« Reply #499 on: February 28, 2012, 09:21:04 pm »
Nemesis, you're a chuffin hero. I'm not sure how I would have reacted if I'd found it at my back door. I'd like to think the same as you but I'm not sure!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #500 on: February 29, 2012, 08:23:15 am »
Thanks Paddy--it is still with us this morning, so now I have to ring the bat Conservation people when the office opens at 9am to see what to do next ! They are a protected species, so I shall have to follow their guidelines.
 Fester-- you know me better than that, the only thing that I will willingly kill are slugs.
http://www.bio.bris.ac.uk/research/bats/britishbats/batpages/commonpipi.htm
 Here he/she is !!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #501 on: February 29, 2012, 08:48:26 am »
What have slugs done wrong?   A sitting target those poor buggers!
Fester...

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #502 on: February 29, 2012, 09:49:27 am »
Eat my plants-- I jump on them-- at least it is quick and not as cruel as pellets. Bit messy if wearing sandles though ! ;D

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #503 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:57 am »
" Bat Man " cometh sometime today. I'll keep an eye open for a big black car ! ;D

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #504 on: February 29, 2012, 05:19:55 pm »
What have slugs done wrong?   A sitting target those poor buggers!

Some people say they are quite nice fried in a crispy tempura batter!    (After they have been cleaned of course!)      ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #505 on: February 29, 2012, 06:17:52 pm »
Hope you mean internally as well as externally Yorkie, having seen clusters of slugs eating excrement!

On another subject the gentleman from the Bat Conservation thingie has taken Batty away in a little box ! He/she was still squeaking and baring it's teeth !

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #506 on: February 29, 2012, 07:06:13 pm »
I love snails cooked in the shell with garlic butter and they have a period of "cleaning out" before being fit for consumption so I suppose slugs would have the same treatment!

The Recipe for SLUGS: Deep-Fried Slugs and Green Tomatoes

Look at the slugs before you kill them. Say "poor slugs", and "I'm sorry, but I hope you taste yummy." Then pick off any large pieces of dirt.

Drop slugs into a bowl with ½ vinegar, ½ hot water. Soak for 10 minutes or so to kill them and remove slime.

Rinse, then boil for about 3 minutes; change water.

Rinse, and boil again, until they stop producing slime. Stir well to separate slime from slugs, then rinse thoroughly. Slit along ventral side of each slug, being careful not to slice the organs, inside, and pull out the digestive gland (in posterior of slug), and any other organs that come out easily.

Turn slug inside out, cut a small slice into the inside of the mantle and slip out the shell. (I am sure we could eat this, but in the interest of education we took them out to examine.)
Show your amazing gutted slug to Pappa:

Rinse slugs again, cut into bite-sized pieces, and bread. We used eggs, and cornflour with a bit of salt, cumin, savoury, and garlic mixed in. We breaded halved green cherry tomatoes in the same way.

Deep-fry, until nice and brown!   Then Eat!

They are like a cross between chicken and calamari. A bit like escargot!   Certainly they are delicious, and the combination with green tomatoes is lovely!

ZXZ   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #507 on: February 29, 2012, 07:27:36 pm »
 :o  thank goodness I'm vegetarian  8)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #508 on: February 29, 2012, 07:29:24 pm »
''having seen clusters of slugs eating excrement!''

That reminds me of being in Weatherspoons at breakfast time!
Fester...

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #509 on: February 29, 2012, 10:00:39 pm »
I love snails cooked in the shell with garlic butter and they have a period of "cleaning out" before being fit for consumption so I suppose slugs would have the same treatment!

The Recipe for SLUGS: Deep-Fried Slugs and Green Tomatoes

Look at the slugs before you kill them. Say "poor slugs", and "I'm sorry, but I hope you taste yummy." Then pick off any large pieces of dirt.

Drop slugs into a bowl with ½ vinegar, ½ hot water. Soak for 10 minutes or so to kill them and remove slime.

Rinse, then boil for about 3 minutes; change water.

Rinse, and boil again, until they stop producing slime. Stir well to separate slime from slugs, then rinse thoroughly. Slit along ventral side of each slug, being careful not to slice the organs, inside, and pull out the digestive gland (in posterior of slug), and any other organs that come out easily.

Turn slug inside out, cut a small slice into the inside of the mantle and slip out the shell. (I am sure we could eat this, but in the interest of education we took them out to examine.)
Show your amazing gutted slug to Pappa:

Rinse slugs again, cut into bite-sized pieces, and bread. We used eggs, and cornflour with a bit of salt, cumin, savoury, and garlic mixed in. We breaded halved green cherry tomatoes in the same way.

Deep-fry, until nice and brown!   Then Eat!

They are like a cross between chicken and calamari. A bit like escargot!   Certainly they are delicious, and the combination with green tomatoes is lovely!

ZXZ   ZXZ