Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 546500 times)

Offline Music_Hut_Radio_1

• Music Hut Radio 1.
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #225 on: July 07, 2011, 02:55:01 pm »
Lovely photos. :D

Has anyone ever been to Puffin Island?

Offline Jack

« Reply #226 on: July 07, 2011, 03:16:03 pm »
Been around it a couple of times on organised boat tours.  I think the RSPB organise Summer boat trips, not sure if they land or not, out of Beaumaris.  Fantastic place for seabirds and seals and there are a few pairs of puffins there now since the Countryside Council for Wales eradicated all the rats that overran the island for many years.

Offline Music_Hut_Radio_1

• Music Hut Radio 1.
« Reply #227 on: July 07, 2011, 03:24:25 pm »
Is it only in Beaumaris that they do boat trips?

I might look into the RSPB website though, thanks.

Offline Jack

« Reply #228 on: July 07, 2011, 07:01:59 pm »
Is it only in Beaumaris that they do boat trips?

I might look into the RSPB website though, thanks.

One of the boat trips I went on actually left from Llandudno Pier and went the whole way round Anglesey and around Puffin Island also, but the lack of boats from Llandudno Pier is another story well documented on the forum!

Looks like the RSPB run trips three times a day until August 18th.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/events/details.aspx?id=tcm:9-269544

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2011, 02:38:35 pm »
Lovely photos. :D

Has anyone ever been to Puffin Island?

Voel Coaches have a trip going tomorrow priced at £20.50  "Cruise around Puffin Island - join RSPB Cymru helpers on the catarmaran Cerismar Two for a 1.5hour cruise of Puffin Island, also visiting Beaumaris"
Two friends of mine though were going on a trip that actually landed on Puffin Island and had a few hours there to explore the Island and see the wildlife. The trip was postponed due to the bad weather at the time and is due to be rescheduled. I don't have the details at present but if I get them then I'll post them here.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2011, 06:13:25 pm »
I've just had an e-mail from my friend who was going on the trip and apparently it was the Conwy Camera club who had permission to land on Puffin Island.  According to my friend it will be rearranged for next year.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2011, 10:18:16 pm »
One of the boat trips I went on actually left from Llandudno Pier and went the whole way round Anglesey and around Puffin Island also

That would be a great trip, how long did it take to go round?

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2011, 10:52:15 pm »
I had the privilege of landing on Puffin Island a couple of years ago as part of a specially arranged trip.  The island is in private ownership and we had permission to land at a time which would not disturb the breeding seabirds.  Much of the island is very overgrown with elder and brambles and, while being on the island was an interesting experience, we saw far more from the boat trip around the island.

We travelled with Starida, one of the companies providing regular trips around Puffin Island from Beaumaris, and I would thoroughly recommend them. 

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2011, 09:50:07 am »
Sort of local wildlife..
We went for a quick walk last night and found  a racing pigeon, not injured but did not fly off and as he was near a main road we picked him up. He was exhausted and wanted food and rest. He has a phone number on his ring, so I phoned up and was speaking to the owner in Glasgow! the bird had flown from Rheims in France, quite incredible! I'm looking after him for a few days to see how he gets on!
The pigeon's owner asked if I knew anyone heading to Glasgow that could give him a lift home? I don't , does anyone else?  I keep thinking of him flying over the English channel, what amazing athletes these birds are! $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #234 on: July 11, 2011, 05:35:23 pm »
Might be the same one that was hanging around in our yard in work a few weeks ago, it had a ring around it's foot but was continually returning to our yard but flew off a few weeks ago and hasn't been seen since.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2011, 06:01:46 pm »
My OH saw a small brown lizard this morning, near the 1/2 way station on the Orme.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #236 on: July 11, 2011, 06:40:45 pm »
Seriously, how bizarre I actually went to the heathland here before to try and photograph a common lizard or a snake, but it sounds like your OH found a viviparous lizard!! they're fairly rare, if you're interested,

Ask your OH did it look like this?

?

Offline Jack

« Reply #237 on: July 11, 2011, 07:01:55 pm »
Sort of local wildlife..
We went for a quick walk last night and found  a racing pigeon, not injured but did not fly off and as he was near a main road we picked him up. He was exhausted and wanted food and rest. He has a phone number on his ring, so I phoned up and was speaking to the owner in Glasgow! the bird had flown from Rheims in France, quite incredible! I'm looking after him for a few days to see how he gets on!
The pigeon's owner asked if I knew anyone heading to Glasgow that could give him a lift home? I don't , does anyone else?  I keep thinking of him flying over the English channel, what amazing athletes these birds are! $good$

I'm going to work in Dumfries on the 28th July if thats any help, I appreciate that it is still an hour shy of Glasgow but if it is any use let me know.

Offline tooly

« Reply #238 on: July 11, 2011, 07:52:40 pm »
saw green parrot destroying apples from our tree on saturday, first time i've seen a wild parrot

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #239 on: July 11, 2011, 10:52:00 pm »
Seriously, how bizarre I actually went to the heathland here before to try and photograph a common lizard or a snake, but it sounds like your OH found a viviparous lizard!! they're fairly rare, if you're interested,

Ask your OH did it look like this?

?

Where was this Green Parrot Tooly?  In the 3 towns area?

Also... that lizard, I see similar ones, about 2 inches long, on the concrete steps in my garden a couple of times a year...

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -