Author Topic: The UK's fraud epidemic.  (Read 2851 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: The UK's fraud epidemic.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2024, 02:08:21 pm »
I received a telephone call this morning from 01492594973 informing me there had been an attempt to take two payments out of my account but not which account. Then went on to ask me to press 1 for further assistance. I have had these calls before which turned out to be scams, but never from a local number which is worrying. On checking the number online all it's saying is it's a BT Landline located in Colwyn Bay. Has anyone else received one of these calls, or has anyone got a suggestion as to who I can report this too?

Meleri, here is one link .......... https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/scam-phone-call-warning

The above from Google search page, plus more below..........
https://www.google.com/search?q=who+do+you+report+suspicious+fraud+phone+calls&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB813GB813&oq=who+do+you+report+suspicious+fraud+phone+calls&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIHCAMQIRifBdIBCjMwNjc5ajBqMTWoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2024, 03:49:18 pm »
I received a telephone call this morning from 01492594973 informing me there had been an attempt to take two payments out of my account but not which account. Then went on to ask me to press 1 for further assistance. I have had these calls before which turned out to be scams, but never from a local number which is worrying. On checking the number online all it's saying is it's a BT Landline located in Colwyn Bay. Has anyone else received one of these calls, or has anyone got a suggestion as to who I can report this too?

I would use Action Fraud, Meleri.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2024, 04:44:22 pm »
Thanks very much Steve & Ian for your suggestions I will do that.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2024, 08:18:57 pm »
What you saw was an example of Number spoofing, Meleri, a technique which is seeing a rapid  rise at the moment.  It's simple to do and is making a fortune for scammers, particularly among the sufferers of Alzheimer's and other age-related memory issues. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2024, 02:14:51 pm »
I haven't heard of that before Ian, so thanks for letting me know very much appreciated.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 10:33:20 am »
Channel 5 has recently started re-running the Alexis Conran series on scam types. It can be streamed on My 5 and it's arguably the best anti-scam programme out there.