Author Topic: Eurovision  (Read 1719 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Eurovision
« on: May 13, 2023, 05:08:07 pm »
BOOM Radio has, this afternoon, been playing a lot of the Eurovision songs from the early days, even the one that won the first contest in 1956.  Along with that most of the British ones from the 1950's and 1960's plus some of the foreign entries.  Who remembers Teddy Johnson and Pearl Carr, Bryan Johnston, Clodagh Rodgers and people who did not need all the showmanship we have today.

All from the days when the singer sang a song without shouting and screaming, without a troupe of dancers in various states of undress, you could hear what they were singing about and the emphasis was on what it says on the tin - a SONG contest.

As I've seen every one since the early 60's I will be watching - and despairing!

(If you've not heard of BOOM Radio check it out - it's where all the ex Radio 2 listeners are going for decent music!)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Eurovision
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2023, 10:13:23 am »
Yes, I remember the good old days, I record the show now, and fast forward through the dross, until the end where neighboring countries vote for each other,  :o  especially the Scandinavians this year?, and Sweden won with a sound alike Abba song ;)

PS
Mae Muller: Why did the UK do so badly at Eurovision?
Mae Muller came into Eurovision riding a wave of positivity.

Sam Ryder ended the UK's losing streak in Turin last year by doing the unthinkable - entering a decent song - and the thinking went: Why not do that again?

Mae obliged with a slick, sassy pop song that echoed recent chart trends. I Wrote A Song had the disco undercurrents of Dua Lipa, the lyrics were memorable, and it was eminently shareable on TikTok.

The public seemed to agree. Mae's song picked up tons of airplay, and more than 8 million streams on Spotify. Bookmakers predicted she'd finish in the top 10. Everyone from Ringo Starr to Lana Del Rey offered their support.

In the run-up to Eurovision, there was negative chatter about Mae's rehearsals. Her vocals were flat, insiders said, and the choreography was wooden.

But on the night, she brought out the big guns. Mae sang better than she'd done all week. Her dance moves were snappy and confident. The audience at the Liverpool Arena were ecstatic...

And then it all went wrong.    cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65586989

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 10:50:35 am »
Sweden won with a sound alike Abba song ;)

The chord structure of that song was identical to several ABBA songs.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 04:18:45 pm »
I watched the Eurovision song contest for the first time in years and although the production was very good the songs were dreadful.
I won't waste another Saturday evening watching it again

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 09:21:13 am »
I am like you, Hugo, but our two daughters have always loved it.

They went on Saturday and absolutely loved it.

Offline mull

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 10:02:33 am »
Never been the same since Terry Wogan finished. He enjoyed poking fun at the idiot's.