Author Topic: Daily Post and North Wales Weekly News  (Read 114218 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Daily Post and North Wales Weekly News
« Reply #285 on: January 12, 2013, 06:22:03 pm »
All the increases have been well above inflation, Trinity Mirror must think we are a bottomless pit of money.   Enuff is enuff for me.   It is just not worth the money, doesn't even have a decent crossword. 
 >>>
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2013, 07:03:34 pm »
 I know Barbiroli says he/she has only heard it. But I find this unbelievable. It is only around four weeks ago from the last increase on both papers. If it comes true, it only means one thing. The publishers thought (correctly) that a price increase of 10p in one wack would be too much for their readers, so they thought we will split into two 5p increases, the silly devils will never notice that. Mike

Offline Tosh

« Reply #287 on: January 12, 2013, 07:33:22 pm »
You can read most of the Post online.
Why pay?
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2013, 08:37:05 pm »
You can read most of the Post online.
Why pay?
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/
...which has always been a very good point. Unlike national newspapers, which have very similar content, local newspapers like the NWWN have unique content that the viewer will often not find elsewhere. Yet, full stories are being given away for nothing! Advertising revenue is received, certainly, but does it make up for the decline in circulation caused by online readership - I doubt it! The NWWN should just have the first paragraph of the story free online and charge a subscription to view the rest.  A month's subscription need only be a couple of quid. In addition, the paper's entire archive of news stories should be available online, on a 'pay per edition' basis, so that the user gets a PDF of an entire NWWN edition on a particular date.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #289 on: January 13, 2013, 08:33:47 am »
The NWWN should just have the first paragraph of the story free online and charge a subscription to view the rest.  In addition, the paper's entire archive of news stories should be available online, on a 'pay per edition' basis, so that the user gets a PDF of an entire NWWN edition on a particular date.

Since the advent of the internet this question has vexed all newspaper proprietors with Murdock's stable being the only group to take the plunge and charge.  News gathering is an extremely expensive business; the BBC reckons the News department accounts for a massive chunk of its expenditure.  Hardly surprising, given that they employ over 800 journos and own over 40 international news bureaux.  We pay for that through our licence fees, and for Sky's news through subscription. ITV has been savagely hacking away at its news activities for several years and many newspapers find it hard to make a profit.  Yet we still expect to read the news for free. I agree with Dave, in that it might be a good idea for them to try and charge for internet versions. But I suspect that - long term - there probably isn't much future in local publishing, and that's a real shame.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #290 on: January 13, 2013, 08:37:31 am »
One is able to subscribe to certain Papers and Magazines already.  The facility just needs extending.  ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2013, 01:08:30 pm »
All the increases have been well above inflation, Trinity Mirror must think we are a bottomless pit of money.   Enuff is enuff for me.   It is just not worth the money, doesn't even have a decent crossword. 
 >>>

More of a pamphlet than a newspaper-- I'll stick to my Saturday Telegraph crossword. Keeps me busy for an hour or two.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Sara

« Reply #292 on: January 13, 2013, 04:27:33 pm »
North Wales Weekly News was 85p when I bought it on Thursday, so it has already gone up.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #293 on: January 17, 2013, 10:59:45 am »
Today, 17th. January 2013 we did not buy the North Wales Weekly News, and have vowed never to buy it again!

:P
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: January 17, 2013, 11:24:10 am »
Today, 17th. January 2013 we did not buy the North Wales Weekly News, and have vowed never to buy it again!
Why?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #295 on: January 17, 2013, 12:29:01 pm »
Why?

Because it does not represent value for money.  It is 80% adverts or public announcements.   Most news is available elsewhere with the Daily Post (Judith writes for both).  Most news available almost in real time via Twitter, on other media or the Internet.  The helicopter crash for example.   We will save £50 a year increasing!

We have been readers for over 40 years so have persevered from the days that it was in the hands of the Jones's.

Why do you continue to buy it?  I am presuming from your question that you do.
 :D
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #296 on: January 17, 2013, 01:07:10 pm »
I buy it because I think its important to support a local independent press. The NWWN's absentee owners are not helping the cause, certainly, but we can only hope that a return to local ownership and a more dynamic management style will follow at some point.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #297 on: January 17, 2013, 01:40:14 pm »
I buy it because I think its important to support a local independent press. The NWWN's absentee owners are not helping the cause, certainly, but we can only hope that a return to local ownership and a more dynamic management style will follow at some point.

Bring back Clive! 
 $walesflag$
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #298 on: January 31, 2013, 12:38:50 pm »
I see there's an Interview with our very own Mike Ormegolf in the NWWN this week.  $good$

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #299 on: January 31, 2013, 01:19:43 pm »
Very good it is too.  ;D
Congrats. Mike.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.