Author Topic: Daily Post and North Wales Weekly News  (Read 114190 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Daily Post and North Wales Weekly News
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2011, 06:28:55 pm »
Are you joking Yorkie !!

No - I think Judith has worked long and hard over the years.  She has done what her Editor and the publisher have required.  50 years of working for that outfit deserves a medal let alone  a few lines of congratulations!

Without her there would not be much of a paper, or should I say even less than there is!   :D
Sorry but i think Judith is as bad a reporter as the rest of them.  Twice I  had to contact the paper regarding what Judith had written off the back of press releases given by the council with no consultation with myself her excuse she couldn't contact me, what a pile of drivel when you consider opening hrs were 11am till 11pm.  nah sorry the reason she's been there for 50yrs is a pay packet every month for basically doing naff all to do with local reporting.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2011, 06:42:09 pm »
Sorry to hear of your experience -  but at least you haven't had your phone tapped, your dustbin searched, notes in your childrens satchels, been hounded by reporters or had photographers following you and your family's every move!

The NWWN and TM Group do have a complaints proceedure or there is always the Press Complaints Commission.

I had a similar problem with a Llandudno Town Council statement given to the NWWN and my complaint was dealt with very effectively and efficiently by Judith and Steve Stratford.  Not so by the Town Council.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2011, 06:44:38 pm »
Hmm all I got was a tiny little apology in the paper.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: December 22, 2011, 02:30:44 pm »
The front page NWWN photo this week of snow on the prom appears to date from the 1970s or early 80s, as the lamposts have not been painted white for many years...

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #169 on: December 22, 2011, 03:18:23 pm »
Be thankful, DaveR, they have not 'borrowed' one of yours again

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: December 22, 2011, 09:54:22 pm »
Indeed, Bri!  ;)

I wonder how many people noticed the fake letter in the NWWN this week? How did they allow 'Oscar Roberts' to get through their checking procedure? Or do they even have a checking procedure?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #171 on: December 24, 2011, 12:14:39 pm »
Ask Judith??   _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline martin

« Reply #172 on: December 24, 2011, 03:17:28 pm »
Indeed, Bri!  ;)

I wonder how many people noticed the fake letter in the NWWN this week? How did they allow 'Oscar Roberts' to get through their checking procedure? Or do they even have a checking procedure?
Does it have some numbers in the title?  That's my first guess anyway.

Offline Craigydonian

« Reply #173 on: December 24, 2011, 04:28:56 pm »
No letter is published unless a bona fide name and address are supplied.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2012, 11:38:19 am »
The front page NWWN photo this week of snow on the prom appears to date from the 1970s or early 80s, as the lamposts have not been painted white for many years...

Excellent observation skills, DaveR.

It was taken in 1982 by Gareth Pritchard.

As confirmed today in flashBACK on page 26 of the Daily Post.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2012, 01:16:27 pm »
 $thanx$  $good$

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #176 on: January 03, 2012, 05:25:45 pm »
No letter is published unless a bona fide name and address are supplied.

Are you sure?
I remember a friend having letters printed  under many different names, all were published and never checked!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2012, 06:12:53 pm »
I suspect what will happen in the end is that TrinityMirror (or whoever owns it by then) will decide to pull the plug once it becomes economically unviable (for them). At that point, somebody local could step in, buy it, and return it to its roots by making the suggested changes. 

In 2009, the NWWN sold 15,124 copies (decline of 8.3% on previous year)
In 2010, the NWWN sold 14,127 copies, (decline of 5.3% on previous year)

I did a blog post on the NWWN a few years ago, still remains true!
http://llandudnoandcolwynbay.blogspot.com/2009/11/north-wales-weekly-news.html

$walesflag$
The NWWN circulation continues to decline, now down to 13,246 in Jan2011-Jun2011:
http://www.nsdatabase.co.uk/newspaperdetail.cfm?paperid=751

It's a dreadful shame but not a surprise.I've not spoken to a single person who thinks it is good value for money any more. Last week's edition was a disgrace - hardly worth 10p, let alone 77p. As I've always said, I like to support it by buying it but its becoming a real struggle to justify it.

How low will circulation have to go before management try something radical? Or are they happy to just let it eventually fold? Giving away stories in full on their website is just madness - why would anyone pay for something you can get for free? The website should just be used to hook people in to either buying the print edition or paying for the full story online.

Offline martin

« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2012, 06:40:18 pm »
I agree fully with DaveR, why bother to buy the paper when you can get the full thing on-line for free?  We used to buy the Daily Mail, but now just look at the on-line version, with the added bonus of it being updated as news develops, not last nights news as on the papers version.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #179 on: January 05, 2012, 06:46:40 pm »
 One of the biggest events of the year is the extravaganza and the paper completly ignores it now,as you know i have been involved with it for ten years or so and i remember it having a wrap around on the week before,i think they spat the dummy when we had no money to advertize,but to ignore this event shows they have no interest unless money is involved.I used to beg Judith to put something in for me and it would always be the editor, yet i still supported the paper up until a year ago,but now i just use this forum and Oscar.