Author Topic: Just arrived from Ukraine and need help finding a place to live  (Read 7423 times)

Offline sscanf

Hello Everyone,

My name is Dan and I am British/American.  My mum spend the last 10 years of her life in Llandudno and I would visit her here often.  I was living in Ukraine with my soon-to-be-wife, Natalia, and her children.  We were planning on moving to Llandudno later this year but our time table has been accelerated by Mr. Putin.  The four of us arrived here last Saturday with one suite case and little else.  Natalia's mother (who is now in Poland) will soon join us.

We have been searching for a place to live since we arrived and have come to find out that there is nothing available.  We have been checking with all of the estate agents and haven't had any luck.  Meanwhile, we are staying at an Airbnb but it is very expensive. 

I am here to ask if anyone knows of a three or four bedroom home that we could rent for the next six months or a year.  We don't need any financial assistance and can pay 1500 or more a month for a suitable place (I have a good job where I work remotely).  We love the area and want to stay here. 

Please contact me here on the forum or email dan@dkrasmussen.com if you have any leads or ideas.

Thanks,
Dan Rasmussen

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Just arrived from Ukraine and need help finding a place to live
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 01:18:04 pm »
Sorry can't help, but all the best for you and your family, glad your safe.

Offline sscanf

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 02:38:33 pm »
Thank you.  We are lucky to be here.  Many friends and family remain in Ukraine but some have escaped to Poland and other places.  We left on Feb 15th at the behest of the British government and were to fly back on Feb 25th.  The idea was to visit relatives in Denmark for a short while to give things a chance to calm down.  We never dreamed that all this would happen.

We were to go back on Feb 25, get the children settled in for the rest of the school year with their grandmother while Natalia and I came here to set up a home for all of us by the end of the school year.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 03:06:51 pm »
I searched houses for rent......... this came up................

3 Bedroom Detached House To Rent
Marie Close, Penrhyn Bay, Llandudno, LL30
£1,050 pcm

link  https://housesforsaletorent.co.uk/property/to-rent/3-bedroom-detached-house-to-rent-in-marie-close-penrhyn-bay-llandudno-ll30/1866518/

Offline sscanf

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 03:11:17 pm »
I responded to that one earlier today and haven't heard anything back yet.  I tried calling but nobody answered.

Offline sscanf

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 10:31:29 am »
Surely somebody must know somebody that can help? 

Maybe someone has a short term rental that we could use for a while?  The airbnb we are in cost 2000 pounds for two weeks.  I'm happy to pay that per month for a suitable home for us.  Long term or short term.

Please ask your friends and family.  We very much want to stay in the area but need to find a place quickly.

Offline SAJ

• Management board member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 11:38:49 am »
I’ve just done a slightly wider search and found this one in Colwyn Bay. Might be worth investigating. Good luck.

Offline sscanf

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2022, 12:19:45 pm »
Thank you, I responded to that one days ago and never heard back from anyone.  I'm convinced that anything you see on-line is no longer available.  I have left my name with several local agents.  We were supposed to look at a house today in Conwy but they had to reschedule to Monday. 

We could buy but getting a mortgage here is going to be difficult as we have no UK credit history.  We could scrape up enough cash to buy a fixer-upper and would be willing to do that.  I see several of houses like that as we walk the town.  Maybe someone has a relative that was thinking about selling their fixer-upper but doesn't want to get it ready.  We will take it as-is and pay cash. 

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 05:17:04 pm »
Good luck in your search for the property,  our thoughts and good wishes are with you and all Ukrainians now

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 10:25:07 pm »
Hi Dan,

Welcome to the area, it really is a fabulous place to live but I am sorry your move had to be accelerated because of the awful situation in Ukraine. I cannot imagine what people are going through there.

We moved to the area five years ago and were looking for a four-bedroom place too, it was impossible then and seems like things have not improved. We found a place on Gumtree through a private landlord so if I can make two suggestions it would be to cast the net wide, and be firm and somewhat assertive with the local agents. They are absolutely useless, all of them in my experience so keep on them. Having said all that, I hope you have found a place by now and have begun to build a new life for your family.

Best wishes and good luck :)