Author Topic: Christmassy Quizzes  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Christmassy Quizzes
« on: December 19, 2021, 10:48:34 am »
A series of fun Christmas quizzes. The answers are there, and you can find them by clicking on 'Show'.  Have fun!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 04:00:52 pm by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Christmassy Quizzes
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 10:48:45 am »
Questions pertaining to the history of Christmas.

• Which King of England was crowned on Christmas Day?[spoiler=Question 1]William the Conqueror (William I) in 1066.[/spoiler]
  • In what year was the first charity Christmas card produced?[spoiler=Question 2]1949.[/spoiler]
  • Which famous Christmas Carol was originally written in 1857 for Thanksgiving?[spoiler=Question 3]"Jingle Bells".[/spoiler]
  • In what year did the Queen talk about her 'annus horriblis' in her Christmas speech?[spoiler=Question 4]1992.[/spoiler]
  • On 26th December 1898, Marie and Pierre Curie announced the discovery of which element?[spoiler=Question 5]Radium.[/spoiler]
  • Who discovered Christmas Island on 25th December 1777?[spoiler=Question 6]Captain Cook.[/spoiler]
  • Who banned Christmas in the UK in 1647?[spoiler=Question 7]Oliver Cromwell.[/spoiler]
  • Which country did China invade on Christmas Day 1950?[spoiler=Question 8]Tibet.[/spoiler]
  • Unable to maintain control over a disintegrating Soviet Union, who announced his resignation as President on 25th December 1991?[spoiler=Question 9]Mikhail Gorbachev.[/spoiler]
  • In what year did NORAD (North American Aerospace Defence Command) start simulating the tracking of Santa's flight path around the world at Christmas? (±5 years)[spoiler=Question 10]1955.[/spoiler]
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 10:49:27 am »
Some Christmas trivia questions.

• What did pre-Christian pagans call Christmas time?[spoiler=Question 1]Yule.[/spoiler]
  • December 26th is traditionally known as Boxing Day, but it is also which Saint's Holy Day?[spoiler=Question 2]St. Stephen.[/spoiler]
  • If you were born on Christmas day what astrological sign would you be?[spoiler=Question 3]Capricorn.[/spoiler]
  • Which country traditionally provides Britain with a Christmas tree for Trafalgar Square in London?[spoiler=Question 4]Norway.[/spoiler]
  • What is the name of the Christian festival that happens 12 days after Christmas?[spoiler=Question 5]Epiphany.[/spoiler]
  • True or False: only male reindeer have antlers?[spoiler=Question 6]False.[/spoiler]
  • The Christmas Star (Poinsettia) originated from (a) Cuba, (b) China, (c) Mexico, (d) Brazil?[spoiler=Question 7](c) Mexico.[/spoiler]
  • Name Santa’s eight Reindeer.[spoiler=Question 8]Blitzen, Comet, Dancer, Prancer, Cupid, Dasher, Donder, Vixen.[/spoiler]
  • What is Myrrh? Is it a herb, a gum resin or an essence distilled from orchids?[spoiler=Question 9]Gum resin.[/spoiler]
  • The name Santa Claus is derived from which language, Dutch, French or Italian?[spoiler=Question 10]Dutch.[/spoiler]

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 10:56:03 am »
Good luck with the history of Christmas one; it's tricky.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 11:11:07 am »
After going through the questions, I don't think anyone would want me in their team.  :-[

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 11:21:20 am »
Well, I only managed to get four the first time I saw that one. But I do hope folk enjoy them.  I have several more!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2021, 09:54:41 am »
The DP Xmas quiz........

Take our Christmas quiz and test your festive knowledge
These seasonal questions will see how much you know about the most wonderful time of the year

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/take-christmas-quiz-test-your-22541203?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4