Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 220162 times)

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #585 on: January 25, 2017, 10:08:51 am »
Out of curiosity, here in Brisbane, Australia, we have fenced 'off leash' areas in various parks etc., for dogs to run free. Outside of this fencing and adjacent to the entry/exit gates are dispensers for degradable doggie bags to be used for the collection of your dogs 'business'. At the same location are bins where used bags can be deposited.

We have a Maltese Terrier who loves to see how many bags he can use in one walk. We do collect all of his deposits, but curiously, whilst the streets and footpaths are largely 'business' free, within the 'off leash' area it is almost a skating rink of the worst kind.

Are there similar facilities there for exercising dogs off leash and/or provision of 'collection bags', and is there supporting legislation to ensure dogs are walked on a leash when outside of their home and that their waste is collected and responsibly disposed of by their owners?

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #586 on: March 17, 2017, 03:52:21 pm »
What on earth were they thinking?

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/anglesey-rotherham-social-services-apology-12757962

If the lad required FOUR staff to watch him day and night, they obviously knew what he was potentially capable of, then they bring him from Rotherham to a privately owned holiday home, apparently under a subterfuge.....

It beggars belief.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #587 on: March 17, 2017, 04:02:39 pm »
It's a mad mad world and very reminiscent of the days when they used to send juvenile delinquents on a "safari holiday"  hoping that the experience would help them to reform.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #588 on: March 17, 2017, 05:10:50 pm »
There's a huge problem with seriously disturbed young people. The media add to this.  Note in the article they describe him as a 'child', a 'young man' and a 'young person' with the space of three paragraphs. So we don't know how old he was and he obviously didn't qualify for secure accommodation under the Children Act, otherwise he'd not have been allowed to do what he did.

All we do know is that he was not well supervised and allowed to down a bottle of wine. That in itself would justify disciplinary action, I agree.  But Child Social Workers are expected to encourage their charges to partake in a full range of activities.  If he's potentially dangerous, then he'd be held elsewhere, so he's obviously not that bad.  But what the paper calls a 'drunken rampage' appears to have consisted of a broken light switch and some decorative damage.  I think the DP has gone a bit overboard and sensationalist on this one.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Valar Morghulis

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #591 on: March 23, 2017, 08:59:36 pm »
There's a huge problem with seriously disturbed young people. The media add to this.  Note in the article they describe him as a 'child', a 'young man' and a 'young person' with the space of three paragraphs. So we don't know how old he was and he obviously didn't qualify for secure accommodation under the Children Act, otherwise he'd not have been allowed to do what he did.

All we do know is that he was not well supervised and allowed to down a bottle of wine. That in itself would justify disciplinary action, I agree.  But Child Social Workers are expected to encourage their charges to partake in a full range of activities.  If he's potentially dangerous, then he'd be held elsewhere, so he's obviously not that bad.  But what the paper calls a 'drunken rampage' appears to have consisted of a broken light switch and some decorative damage.  I think the DP has gone a bit overboard and sensationalist on this one.

Ian, I said: If the lad required FOUR staff to watch him day and night, they obviously knew what he was potentially capable of, then they bring him from Rotherham to a privately owned holiday home, apparently under a subterfuge.....

What the paper calls a drunken rampage was apparently that, not on the level of Attila the Hun I'll grant you, but my point was really my incredulity of Council Social Workers both booking under a deception, (in that, had the owner known that there were five persons in residence, not three and the circumstances of the booking, i.e a young person supposedly under close Social Services supervision they would most certainly refused it) and how did a 'young person' drink a whole bottle of wine when under the close (supposedly) close supervision of FOUR Social Workers?
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #592 on: March 24, 2017, 07:59:56 am »
That's a disciplinary offence, indeed.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #593 on: March 24, 2017, 08:00:26 am »
Sorry about the first article I posted the link for.  Here it is in full:

By Sally Adee

“The remedy is more speech, not enforced silence,” wrote US Supreme Court justice Louis Brandeis in 1927 in his defence of freedom of speech. Ninety years on, his position is often taken as read: in the marketplace of ideas, eventually the truth will out.

So it’s no surprise that many were aghast when, last week, Germany’s justice minister introduced a draft law that would fine social media companies, including Facebook and Twitter, up to €50 million if they failed to remove hate speech within 24 hours of a complaint.

“If we were trying to do this with any other media, you’d be talking about taking books off people’s shelves and going into libraries and ripping up magazines,” Vint Cerf – recognised as one of the founders of the internet – told a recent forum on internet and liberty. “We seem to be doing this just because in this medium, we can.”

For people like Cerf and many American companies, who view online speech through the lens of the US First Amendment, Germany’s approach may look like a heavy-handed suppression of the right of free expression. However, it may be a necessary first step in re-establishing a shared moral reality. In the age of bots, misinformation, and anonymity, free speech itself may be used to enact a kind of censorship.

In 2011, Russian citizens took to Twitter to voice their outrage about the contested election results. The hashtag #триумфальная (Triumfalnaya – the name of a Moscow square where a protest took place) quickly became one of the most-used on Twitter, but it didn’t take long for at least 2000 bot accounts to neutralise it by swamping the platform with nonsensical tweets, shutting down constructive debate.
Amplifying the fringe

One could argue that freedom of expression means a person has every right to propagate their ideas using as many bots as they want, and that some people use such bots for “good”, but the result can misrepresent the spread of public opinion, or throw out widely held moral consensuses. This has been noticed by some Jewish communities, who have experienced bot-borne upticks in public anti-Semitism. By artificially amplifying particular views, bots are effectively censoring speech without suppressing it.

The inability to attribute real identities on the internet can also work to distort apparent consensus. There are many examples of governments recruiting people as sock puppets to confuse public opinion. In China, state employees are paid to impersonate ordinary citizens on various forums, to the tune of 448 million comments every year. Because there’s no way to tell who is a real person expressing real opinions, there’s no way to know what “ordinary” people genuinely think – which helps create the illusion of wide approval of the government’s actions.

It’s also difficult to be sure of the sources for the claims people make online. A statement about the safety of vaccines may have originated in a scientific journal, or the blog of a conspiracy theorist without medical training. “On the internet, everything looks like the New York Times,” says Richard Stengel, a former editor at Time magazine. “In my opinion the scariest words in the English language are ‘I read it on the internet’.”

One recent study suggested that the credibility of a statement on Twitter depends most on the number of times it gets retweeted. If those are the rules of the marketplace, the best ideas won’t rise to the top.
Moral suasion

Last year’s US presidential election showed just how outdated Brandeis’s belief in the power of a large volume of free speech now is. The most accurate information did not gain the most prominence. Instead, the mainstream media gave space to many ideas and stories of little relevance to the facts. “A couple of hundred or maybe a thousand people are able to create a ruckus and conflict,” says Gabriella Coleman at McGill University in Toronto, Canada. “And then they’re taken seriously in the major media.”

Together, all this is undermining “moral suasion” – the force that nudges members of a society not to do or say things that are too far outside the accepted norm. Once a society has deemed certain attitudes reprehensible – for example, white supremacy or homophobia – it becomes difficult for individuals to advocate them in public.

But with the moral consensus distorted online, in many countries the internet age has seen a resurgence of views many of us thought we had closed the book on – “scientific” racism, for example. So should Facebook and Twitter decide what constitutes hate speech, and eliminate it as soon as possible?

There are many good reasons to be wary of outsourcing the policing of moral beliefs to private corporations, even if they are only tasked with implementing a country’s national laws, as would be the case with the draft German proposal. But we should focus on the problems of relying on multinationals with corporate interests to police our moral consensus, instead of misguidedly hiding behind the old defence of free speech.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #594 on: April 23, 2017, 11:58:37 am »
Parents' mobile use harms family life, say secondary pupils.
An overuse of mobile phones by parents disrupts family life, according to a survey of secondary pupils.
More than a third of 2,000 11 to 18-year-olds who responded to a poll said they had asked their parents to stop checking their devices.
And 14% said their parents were online at meal times, although 95% of 3,000 parents, polled separately, denied it.
The research was carried out by Digital Awareness UK and the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference.
Among the pupils:
82% felt meal times should be device-free
22% said the use of mobiles stopped their families enjoying each other's company
36% had asked their parents to put down their phones.
More  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39666863

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #595 on: April 29, 2017, 12:05:35 pm »
I have for some time felt sorry for the young, trying to get on the property ladder, but when reading this article, one comment jarred...."Having spent a lot of their savings on their wedding in Las Vegas last month, the only option was to rent."..... it made me think back to my own experiences, and I am sure many others of my generation, every thing we did was modest (cheap) engagement ring, wedding (borrowed dress), gifts( household essentials),  3 day UK honeymoon, our main aim, to save for our own home, and that had to be modest to start with, I moved our possessions into our first home in one trip in a small  car.

I wonder if they expect to much, to soon, without sacrifice. ?

'Our family's housing market generation gap'
How did we go so wrong as a nation that something the baby boomer generation took for granted - being able to buy a decent-sized family home - now appears out of reach for so many of their children?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39743452

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #597 on: April 29, 2017, 04:04:18 pm »
I have for some time felt sorry for the young, trying to get on the property ladder, but when reading this article, one comment jarred...."Having spent a lot of their savings on their wedding in Las Vegas last month, the only option was to rent."..... it made me think back to my own experiences, and I am sure many others of my generation, every thing we did was modest (cheap) engagement ring, wedding (borrowed dress), gifts( household essentials),  3 day UK honeymoon, our main aim, to save for our own home, and that had to be modest to start with, I moved our possessions into our first home in one trip in a small  car.

I wonder if they expect to much, to soon, without sacrifice. ?

'Our family's housing market generation gap'
How did we go so wrong as a nation that something the baby boomer generation took for granted - being able to buy a decent-sized family home - now appears out of reach for so many of their children?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39743452

Steve....I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. We too did a very similar thing nearly 53 years ago. Everything we had we saved for and bought and our first home ( a weaver's cottage ) cost less than probably the price of a piece of furniture these days.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Nemesis

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #599 on: April 29, 2017, 11:01:56 pm »
I actually saw this couple being interviewed on TV; it's completely true.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3041516/Unemployed-bridezilla-benefits-fat-work-plans-dream-10-000-wedding-horse-drawn-carriage-Mexico-honeymoon-funded-taxpayer-claims-s-human-right.html

Aggggh. Idle lot ! $angry$

I saw something similar on TV and just had to switch off as it was sickening.    Too fat to work, claiming £27K in benefits and the morbid obesity leads to disability and then to carer's allowance.        :rage: