Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 220086 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #570 on: October 11, 2016, 04:55:06 pm »
If this new legislation is about prosecuting Internet Trolls, then the police will do little else ever again!
North Wales will need 25,000 new recruits  :laugh: :laugh:

And that's just for all the people bullying you  :laugh:

Ha ha.... ''they''
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #571 on: October 12, 2016, 09:49:46 am »
If this new legislation is about prosecuting Internet Trolls, then the police will do little else ever again!
North Wales will need 25,000 new recruits  :laugh: :laugh:

And that's just for all the people bullying you  :laugh:

Ha ha.... ''they''
?{}?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #572 on: December 12, 2016, 01:05:39 am »
2013 oil was around $110 A barrel & petrol £1.56 a litre
2014 oil was around $105 a barrel & petrol £1.58 a litre
2015 oil was around $52 a barrel & petrol £1.20 litre
2016 oil is $46 a barrel and we have paid an average £1.25 per litre.

Now, I know there are lots of other factors, exchange rates etc,  but something isn't right is it?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #573 on: December 15, 2016, 12:52:04 pm »
I found this article confusing, along with other stories today of cuts, losing PCSO,s etc  now you need a degree or do you?..........

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/new-police-officers-need-degree-12323810

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #574 on: December 15, 2016, 02:05:03 pm »
Incredible.  You obliviously don't need one - unless you do.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #575 on: December 15, 2016, 03:02:05 pm »
Update on the above...

Police boss warns against 'elitist' officers as new degree-level training regime announced.

Police boss Arfon Jones has warned against the possibility of "elitist" police forces as new training procedures are introduced which will require all new officers to be educated to degree level.

The Police and Crime Commissioner admitted to the Daily Post "policing is changing" but stressed North Wales Police must make sure officers reflect the communities they serve.

There will be no minimum requirement for new bobbies, but from 2020 they will have the option of completing a paid three-year "degree apprenticeship".

More....    http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/police-boss-warns-against-elitist-12325988

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #576 on: December 15, 2016, 03:36:06 pm »
Well, degrees have become increasingly devalued so I suppose this shouldn't come as a surprise. But it might presage a worrying trend: perhaps carpenters could take a three-year "degree apprenticeship" to become surgeons...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

« Reply #577 on: December 15, 2016, 03:55:17 pm »
Well, degrees have become increasingly devalued so I suppose this shouldn't come as a surprise. But it might presage a worrying trend: perhaps carpenters could take a three-year "degree apprenticeship" to become surgeons...
I think the Police are jumping on this new apprenticeship scheme thats coming in the near future, trying to get their share......., they are having to fork out 3% of  budget, so now they can claim back a share for police training.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #578 on: January 08, 2017, 12:13:24 pm »
More than 1,300 sickies taken EVERY DAY by North Wales public sector workers

There were more than half a million days of sickness absence recorded across all the public authorities in the region in 2016, Freedom of Information request reveals.

In North Wales, across the councils, health, fire, police and ambulance services, there were 500,688 absence days recorded - equivalent to 1,374 a day.
Full article with comments below    http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/more-1300-sickies-taken-every-12420887

Offline SteveH

« Reply #579 on: January 20, 2017, 10:27:39 am »
This article has me thinking, I know we have to support tourism, but in these days of cuts, to give grants to successful private companies.......

Dylan's plans to open a third restaurant at the Washington hotel site in Llandudno has been backed with £200K of Welsh Government money.
The £1.5m development on Llandudno promenade will see the historic building transformed into a seafood restaurant and cocktail bar.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/dylans-secures-190000-grant-llandudnos-12478849

Comments....
Does the Welsh taxpayer get an appropriate share in the company in return for this capital investment? If not, why not?

There's something wrong if the Welsh government has this type money to hand out for speculative ventures. If it's viable they should borrow money from commercial sources at the going rate not dip into the pockets of hard pressed taxpayers. 

Totally agree with you, have noted over the years you have certain companies who are flavour of the month with both politicians and council,s.They come and go without having to pay back any grant,s received.

As someone who runs a care home in North Wales and has had no support over the last 20 years this gets my back up sorry. The powers that be the first minister included, will turn around sooner than expected wondering where the care sector has gone in Wales. But hey ho money is thrown at companies who really do not need it a la Dylan's !

So giving a successful company free money is ok for tourism but having toilets for the tourists to use is not.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #580 on: January 20, 2017, 12:27:55 pm »
It provides jobs what's the problem? Better than spending it on some ugly statue.
If they get low on funds just cut the bins back to only be emptied monthly or 6 weekly. Can't see a problem there, if it's tourism they want to increase simply hire more litter gangsters enforcers wardens. That way our beautiful pristine litter free streets will keep the day trippers flocking and you don't even have to pay them they simply take commission of half of what they steal extort fine the elderly/vulnerable litter louts.

I like this strike through feature

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #581 on: January 20, 2017, 01:55:00 pm »
We'd never have guessed :-)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #582 on: January 24, 2017, 01:41:29 pm »
Conwy 'snooping' dog poo poster encourages residents to spy on neighbours claims AM

The notice issued by Conwy Council asks people to take a stand against dog fouling in their community and report offenders to the authority's enforcement team.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-snooping-dog-poo-poster-12498189

Comments......
great idea and Janet, you are not listening to the people again !!    Nothing wrong in the public reporting it and it is up to CBC to then take appropriate and legal action via the correct route.    I am a responsible dog owner and people who do not clear up should be reported by the public and fined when proof is obtained.  Try Pentre Mawr Park from 6am onwards when they arrive in cars with dogs near the tennis courts,  let them out to do their business and then put them back in the cars and drive off !

The poster is quite clearly asking for people to report their concerns in order that the enforcement officers can target their patrols more effectively.  It sounds like common sense to me to have the officers visiting areas where problems have been reported rather than spending their time randomly roaming around the county.  Dog owners who clear up their mess should have nothing to worry about so I really can't see the issue here.  Surely we should be applauding the council for utilising it's resources more efficiently and effectively?

What a fantastic idea.  There's nothing worse than irresponsible dog owners leaving their excrement lying all over the footpath so I'm 100% behind any action to put a stop to this sort of anti-social behaviour.  Well done Conwy Council for taking such a proactive approach to this problem.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #583 on: January 24, 2017, 02:13:17 pm »
Conwy 'snooping' dog poo poster encourages residents to spy on neighbours claims AM

What a fantastic idea.  There's nothing worse than irresponsible dog owners leaving their excrement lying all over the footpath so I'm 100% behind any action to put a stop to this sort of anti-social behaviour.  Well done Conwy Council for taking such a proactive approach to this problem.

I totally agree.  And the dogs are almost as bad...

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #584 on: January 24, 2017, 03:56:03 pm »
What also gets me mad are the dog owners who pick up the dog's poo ( probably because someone is nearby) ,  then when nobody is watching them they immediately chuck the bag away.
Sometimes you see the bags in bushes or trees or like last week when one was chucked in my empty food bin after the binmen had been.

They are quite lazy and sly but not clever enough to notice that my CCTV cameras had captured the moment.   I now know what she looks like so I'll be having a word or two with her sometime.