Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 220072 times)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #555 on: July 14, 2016, 10:57:45 pm »
Ha!  Hope they don't make them angry!
The Russians would overrun those countries in 24 hours if they chose to.

And that is why Russia was told by NATO in no uncertain terms, that if they invaded, our only response would be a full nuclear strike against them. Rightly or wrongly it has kept the peace in Europe since 1945. Bankrupted the USSR as they tried in vain to keep up with western weapons technologies and lead to the fall of the Iron Curtain which in turn freed the people of Eastern Europe from the imposed tyranny they had been forced to endure by Russian Political elite. We still have a Nuclear strike capability which thank God doesn't rely on the political capabilities of one Nicola Sturgeon.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #556 on: July 15, 2016, 04:31:22 pm »
I asked myself this morning ...Why does France keep getting attacked? ... and later found this article.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/15/why-does-france-keep-getting-attacked

Offline SteveH

« Reply #557 on: July 22, 2016, 06:43:59 pm »
I do not fully understand this new craze if at all, however this article brings up the question of ............is it paid advertising ? seems a brilliant idea for increasing footfall, Portmeirion seems to be reaping benefits.

Portmeirion is Pokémon Go 'treasure trove' with Pikachu helping visitor numbers surge 13%.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/portmeirion-pokmon-go-treasure-trove-11651694

Offline SteveH

« Reply #558 on: September 30, 2016, 01:31:03 pm »
Looks like our past mistakes are catching up with us.................

People in their early 30s are half as wealthy as those now in their 40s were at the same age, a report finds.
Today's 30-something generation has missed out on house price increases and better pensions, according to research by the Institute for Fiscal Studies.
Those born in the early 1980s have an average wealth of £27,000 each, against the £53,000 those born in the 1970s had by the same age, said the IFS.
They will also find it harder to amass wealth in the future, it added.
The think tank found that people born in the early 1980s were the first post-war group not to have higher incomes in early adulthood than those born in the preceding decade.

MORE..... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37508968

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #559 on: October 01, 2016, 01:59:44 pm »
... Steve, that's a major worry for me.  Because I dare say that those born in the 90's have much less than even those born in the 80's.
I feel guilty about how I (and most folk my age), were able to have the careers with the great pensions, cars, bonuses etc.... and there is little or nothing like that available for our kids now.

It's not good for society, it's just decay, but it was inevitable I suppose.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #560 on: October 01, 2016, 04:15:55 pm »
I wonder how that plays into the support JC has been getting? There is a huge amount of dissatisfaction in that age group. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #561 on: October 01, 2016, 06:19:52 pm »
I wonder how that plays into the support JC has been getting? There is a huge amount of dissatisfaction in that age group.
... and how long before the frustration boils over?
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #562 on: October 11, 2016, 08:31:22 am »
"Social media users who engage in flame wars or retweet the doxing of others will be treated in the same way as those making fake bomb threats over social media, British prosecutors have announced.
“Those who encourage others to commit a communications offence may be charged with encouraging an offence under the Serious Crime Act 2007,” warns the guidance. In a Kafka-esque twist, the guidance also includes this chilling line, discussing how prosecutors can prove the criminal offence of sending a “grossly offensive” message, under section 127 of the Communications Act 2003:

The offence is committed by sending the message. There is no requirement that any person sees the message or be offended by it.

Setting up a fake social media account in someone else's name is also said to be a potential crime.  Full details here.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/10/cps_latest_social_media_prosecution_guidelines/
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #563 on: October 11, 2016, 10:35:06 am »
Ian, I'm interested to know why you think that the offence being committed by sending the message without any person seeing the message or being offended by is a 'chilling Kafka-esque' twist. It simply means that, for example, if the message is intercepted before being recieved, or sent to someone who isn't offended, but the message is still offensive, the sender can till be prosecuted.... 

It's simply to stop some smart-arsed social parasite of a solicitor getting someone off an offence of sending a grossly offensive message by saying 'Ah, but the person it was sent to didn't receive it' or 'They weren't offended by it' when the message was still offensive. It makes sense to me....
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #564 on: October 11, 2016, 11:55:36 am »
They're not my opinions, Bosun:  I simply copied and pasted from the Register article.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #565 on: October 11, 2016, 12:03:39 pm »
Ah, fair enough, the vagaries of 'cut 'n paste'...... 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #566 on: October 11, 2016, 12:32:15 pm »
Did someone mention "cut and paste"...............;)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #567 on: October 11, 2016, 03:06:58 pm »
If this new legislation is about prosecuting Internet Trolls, then the police will do little else ever again!
North Wales will need 25,000 new recruits  :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #568 on: October 11, 2016, 03:41:44 pm »
I suspect just a few serious prosecutions will make a difference.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #569 on: October 11, 2016, 04:46:27 pm »
If this new legislation is about prosecuting Internet Trolls, then the police will do little else ever again!
North Wales will need 25,000 new recruits  :laugh: :laugh:

And that's just for all the people bullying you  :laugh: