Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 219955 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #480 on: June 24, 2015, 10:47:31 am »
Interesting....
I would not comply,and I would simply keep walking away, use up their time, frustrate them, ignore them.... etc.
Especially on a busy day, when they need a quick turnround, and the police will be occupied with other matters.

Surely the police would take you in for disturbing the peace or something similar?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #481 on: June 24, 2015, 10:47:58 am »
You always did disturb my peace Fester  _))*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #482 on: June 24, 2015, 01:01:01 pm »
Interesting....
I would not comply,and I would simply keep walking away, use up their time, frustrate them, ignore them.... etc.
Especially on a busy day, when they need a quick turnround, and the police will be occupied with other matters.

Surely the police would take you in for disturbing the peace or something similar?

It would be interesting wouldn't it.  Disturbing the peace by saying nothing, and ignoring people.
Perhaps 'obstruction' might be a more appropriate charge.
Other than that, I will insist that the operative speaks Welsh to me.... and the Police Officer.... or if not, I'm not playing!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #483 on: June 30, 2015, 05:55:42 pm »
This worries me,........"More relaxed and rounded"  ....but can they handle the 3 R's... &shake&

Everything you need to know about Wales' new school curriculum
The curriculum is described as "more relaxed" and the aim is to develop more “rounded” pupils.
More emphasis is placed on health and wellbeing, making sure Welsh youngsters are ready to play a full part in life and work.
The authors of the new system say it is less about ticking boxes and more about ensuring pupils are “ethical, informed citizens” who better understand the world we live in.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/everything-you-need-know-wales-9556772

Wales axes formal pre-16 exams and brings in a new 'relaxed' school curriculum

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wales-axes-formal-pre-16-exams-9557810

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #484 on: June 30, 2015, 06:31:20 pm »
This worries me,........"More relaxed and rounded"  ....but can they handle the 3 R's.

It would be a good change if politicians stopped meddling in education and set up a professional teaching body to oversee all curricular changes.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #485 on: July 01, 2015, 08:49:31 am »
This worries me,........"More relaxed and rounded"  ....but can they handle the 3 R's... &shake&

Everything you need to know about Wales' new school curriculum
The curriculum is described as "more relaxed" and the aim is to develop more “rounded” pupils.
More emphasis is placed on health and wellbeing, making sure Welsh youngsters are ready to play a full part in life and work.
The authors of the new system say it is less about ticking boxes and more about ensuring pupils are “ethical, informed citizens” who better understand the world we live in.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/everything-you-need-know-wales-9556772

Wales axes formal pre-16 exams and brings in a new 'relaxed' school curriculum

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wales-axes-formal-pre-16-exams-9557810
What a joke. Considering the lamentable performance of Welsh Education in recent years, I would have hoped the emphasis would have been firmly placed on numeracy and literacy skills:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/wales-worst-uk-global-education-6364676

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #486 on: July 01, 2015, 09:20:19 am »
There's a cultural issue here (and I mean the entire UK) with regard to educational achievement - possibly not unrelated to the cultural issue regarding alcohol. The PISA rankings make for depressing reading: Ireland, Canada and Poland make it into the top ten - along with the usual crop of hi-tech far-East countries, such as Japan and Korea. But in the Far East countries, teachers are regarded with and accorded great status, respect and deference. Education is seen as a competitive business that offers success and wealth.

Talk to the average 14 year-old boy in this area, and they've not a lot of good things to say about school. Boys have inexorably been falling behind girls for years, now, and this has to be related - among other things - to cultural expectations. Doing well at school isn't 'cool', and boys are very aware of and responsive to peer pressure.

I agree the system has to change; there's been far too great an emphasis on the sorts of things at which females excel - detailed work, writing, reading, keeping records, etc. The National Curriculum plays to female strengths, too, as it systematically encourages programme-based teaching and learning at the expense of innovation, creativity and spontaneity, so boys have been perceiving themselves as marginalised for years.

But the larger issue is culture. It doesn't occur much on here, but in many forums when one member points out errors in another member's writing, spelling or grammar they're often ridiculed as a 'spelling bully' or other childish epithets. Why is that? After all, if someone makes a mathematical mistake, they usually don't object to it being pointed out. But if someone uses English poorly or lazily they think it's fine. That's a cultural issue and that's where things need to be sorted out.

And it's important, too: if people continue to let their grasp on English slide, it can only have a detrimental effect on children and we lose important concepts. That's been happening for years: few now realise there's a major difference between Uninterested and Disinterested, so these words, which spoke to significantly different ideas, are now both being used to mean the same thing.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #487 on: July 01, 2015, 12:38:58 pm »

Talk to the average 14 year-old boy in this area, .

I try not to do that at my age, for fear of being put on some kind of 'register'

I would argue that school children these days are already too 'well rounded', and I would advocate more Sports and Physical Education in schools, as a matter of great urgency.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #488 on: July 01, 2015, 02:00:29 pm »

Talk to the average 14 year-old boy in this area, .

I try not to do that at my age, for fear of being put on some kind of 'register'

I would argue that school children these days are already too 'well rounded', and I would advocate more Sports and Physical Education in schools, as a matter of great urgency.

Hello is that Mr Kettle?

Hello Mr Kettle, I have a Mr Pot here and he is calling you black? Do you have any response to that?

_))*

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #489 on: July 02, 2015, 12:38:49 pm »
I found this item interesting, putting it together with the standard of education we have been discussing............ &shake&       :(

caravan skill shortage warning manufacturer
In recent months Fifth Wheel Company has been trying to recruit new staff members due to the expansion and growth of the business.
However they have been unable to find candidates with the right skills or attitude towards work.

Jobs site Adzuna announced that there were more jobs advertised in April than there where people looking for a job.

They believe this could be a warning sign that the workforce lacks the skills necessary to fill up many of the new jobs being advertised.
One option in the past has been to recruit migrant workers arriving in the country as they can have better skills and a higher work ethic for manufacturing job roles.

But one initiative that the Fifth Wheel Company are keen on implementing is the “see inside manufacturing programme” which invites teachers and students from local schools to visit the manufacturing facilities.

This will also educate teachers and students about the kind of skills that are needed to thrive in manufacturing.

Ceri Whiteley at White House hotel, part of the Fifth Wheel group, agreed there were issues recruiting.
 “School leavers do have the literacy and numeracy to succeed although they lack work ethic and the willingness to complete tasks to high standards.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/denbighshire-caravan-manufacturer-skill-shortage-9561383

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #490 on: July 06, 2015, 09:11:37 am »
As the summer TV schedules of nothingness are now in force, we were watching old episodes of Yes, Prime Minister last night, and what struck me was how little things have changed.  Almost every aside they make applies now.

On Education:

"Hacker: Education in this country is a disaster. We're supposed to be preparing children for a working life. Three quarters of the time they're bored stiff!

Sir Humphrey: Well I should have thought that being bored stiff for three quarters of the time was an excellent preparation for working life.

Hacker: The school leaving age was raised to 16 so that they could learn more, and they're learning less!

Sir Humphrey: We didn't raise it to enable them to learn more! We raised it to keep teenagers off the job market and hold down the unemployment figures.

Hacker: Are you saying there's nothing wrong with education in this country?

Sir Humphrey: No, why of course not, Prime Minister! It's a joke, it's always been a joke! And as long as you leave it in the hands of the local councillors, it will remain a joke! I mean, half of them are your enemies anyway, and the other half are the sort of friends who make you prefer your enemies."

On Newspapers:

"Hacker: Don't tell me about the press. I know exactly who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country; The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country; The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country; the Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country; the Financial Times is read by people who own the country; the Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country, and the Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard: Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big t*ts.

On integrity:

"Bernard: So you want me to falsify the minutes?

Sir Humphrey: I want nothing of the sort! It's up to you Bernard; what do you want?

Bernard: I want to have a clear conscience.

Sir Humphrey: A clear conscience.

Bernard: Yes.

Sir Humphrey: When did you acquire this taste for luxuries?

Wonderful show, and it's simply a shame that its successor failed so miserably.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #491 on: July 07, 2015, 07:57:49 am »
Many of us use Google, despite knowing that it tracks our every move across the internet and uses that information in multiple ways (use DuckDuckGo if you want some privacy). We know it's worth more than £350bn, arranges its tax affairs so it pays the least possible and attempts to coerce governments into doing what it wants. What you might not know, however, is that it uses its enormous finances to break the law regularly, ignore rulings against it and actively mounts smear campaigns against those it believes are attempting to bring it to heel.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12/23/googles_driveby_shooting_of_jim_hood_takes_out_key_critic/

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #492 on: July 10, 2015, 08:28:13 am »
Across England and Wales, fewer than 1 in 50 people (aged 3 or over) could not speak English well or at all (2%, 863,000). For the majority of local authorities, the inability to speak English well or at all affected less than 1% of the population. However in areas of London, notably Newham, Brent and Tower Hamlets and also in Leicester, between 8 and 9% of the population could not speak English well or at all.

Only two-thirds (65%) of people who could not speak English well or at all (‘non-proficient)’ were in good health, compared with nearly 9 in 10 (88%) who could speak English very well or well (‘proficient)’. This may be due to lower proficiency in English making it difficult for people to access suitable healthcare, which may have a longer term impact on health. There was also a more rapid decline of good health by age among people who were less proficient in English.

Findings from the 2011 census

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #493 on: July 20, 2015, 08:16:15 pm »
Moved from the Hotels topic

O.K. but who is going to decide one from another. Imagine----I'll allow your jewish money from your thinking to buy the Grand. But I don't fancy the others thinking. Stop them.
  A minefield. Better leave them all alone. Most of the rest of my thinking is unprintable
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 07:43:20 am by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #494 on: July 20, 2015, 09:04:37 pm »
O.K. but who is going to decide one from another

Not sure I really follow what you're saying, Mike.