Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 220127 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #405 on: August 28, 2014, 01:05:31 pm »
No..... but HE is.... D)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #406 on: August 28, 2014, 01:31:35 pm »
Ahhhhhhh how typically sexist of me :twoface:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #407 on: August 29, 2014, 12:57:23 am »

Just for the record B2R,  I didn't mean to say 'you LIE to be contrary'......... it was a mis-key,  it was actually meant to say 'you LIKE to be contrary'.
I would never accuse a fellow Forum member of lying.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

But, you are still very CRAP at Scrabble.... and I think I beat you YET AGAIN today, did I not?
Whilst Yorkie and SDQ continued to dominate me.    &shake&
Fancy a game of darts, old bean?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #408 on: August 29, 2014, 10:15:03 am »

Just for the record B2R,  I didn't mean to say 'you LIE to be contrary'......... it was a mis-key,  it was actually meant to say 'you LIKE to be contrary'.
I would never accuse a fellow Forum member of lying.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

But, you are still very CRAP at Scrabble.... and I think I beat you YET AGAIN today, did I not?
Whilst Yorkie and SDQ continued to dominate me.    &shake&
Fancy a game of darts, old bean?

Retired from darts - and just as well as I trapped my right hand in a car door the other day and now it doesn't function as it should!
Most other throwing games I favour my left, but can't with darts for some reason.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #409 on: December 18, 2014, 07:27:21 am »
Although I wouldn't have gone to see it, the fact that both Sony and the US cinemas have bowed to terrorism by cancelling the release of the The Interview is extremely disturbing and sets a very worrying precedent. Even though the Sony hack was almost certainly achieved through someone inside Sony itself, it's certainly going to encourage whoever's behind the actions to try their hands in other areas.

I suppose one option the US has is to buy the film outright from Sony then release it on PBS.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #410 on: December 18, 2014, 08:34:33 am »
Although I wouldn't have gone to see it, the fact that both Sony and the US cinemas have bowed to terrorism by cancelling the release of the The Interview is extremely disturbing and sets a very worrying precedent. Even though the Sony hack was almost certainly achieved through someone inside Sony itself, it's certainly going to encourage whoever's behind the actions to try their hands in other areas.

I suppose one option the US has is to buy the film outright from Sony then release it on PBS.
Sony were extremely stupid to have greenlit the production of that film in the first place. How can a comedy about the assassination of a real living person be anything other than extraordinarily bad taste? Actions have consequences, and SPE's arrogance will cost them dearly.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #411 on: December 18, 2014, 12:30:56 pm »
It's ridiculous they have succumbed to these threats, 42 million dollars wasted!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #412 on: December 18, 2014, 12:49:48 pm »
I was talking to Mrs F about this last night, and I said that if some Middle Eastern State had made a film about killing Mr Cameron or Obama, we would be mortified and call them savages.

Why is this any different?    North Korea, (bizarre though they are) are rightly outraged about this, and Sony deserve to take a real hammering over it.
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #413 on: December 18, 2014, 02:06:21 pm »
No we wouldn't. Well maybe you would because you're a reactionary  $angry$ t

It's a film for heaven's sake! it's called creative licence.

The Sex Pistols did a song about our deary old queen in the 70s and a few people got upset about that, but nobody banned it (they did fiddle the sales figures to keep it off number one though  WWW)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #414 on: December 18, 2014, 02:13:37 pm »
There is such a thing as ABUSE of those freedoms.
A bit of self-regulation, or sense of 'Responsibility' should always be used in life, or the result is chaos.

In my opinion, (that is if anyone else is allowed one)... this film's premise is flippant and offensive.
Perhaps it could be released in 50 years or so, when the subject is either dead or replaced?

Harassment is in the eye of the person being harassed remember.
For example, I find it quite amusing being labelled a C### by you, however others may not, and it is their right.
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #415 on: December 18, 2014, 02:17:04 pm »
There is such a thing as ABUSE of those freedoms.
A bit of self-regulation, or sense of 'Responsibility' should always be used in life, or the result is chaos.

In my opinion, (that is if anyone else is allowed one)... this film's premise is flippant and offensive.
Perhaps it could be released in 50 years or so, when the subject is either dead or replaced?

Harassment is in the eye of the person being harassed remember.
For example, I find it quite amusing being labelled a C### by you, however others may not, and it is their right.

A lot of things are flippant and offensive, are you saying they should all be banned?
Some people may find it amusing to watch this film and this is their right

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #416 on: December 18, 2014, 02:23:23 pm »
Of course things that are DEEMED offensive should be banned.
That is how civilisation works.

But, it must be governed within sensitive, and sensible criteria.
For example, if no one complains, go ahead.    However if someone is deeply outraged or hurt, ''consider'' banning it.

I'm not saying that I personally know where to draw the line, ... I just know that someone should.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #417 on: December 18, 2014, 02:42:29 pm »
There is such a thing as ABUSE of those freedoms. A bit of self-regulation, or sense of 'Responsibility' should always be used in life, or the result is chaos.

And a pertinent point for those who defend our so-called 'free press'. There is no doubt that a lot of abuse of free speech takes place, mainly by the DFM,. but there are other culprits. Who draws the line, of course, and where is another matter .
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #418 on: December 18, 2014, 02:47:07 pm »
I'm as broad minded as anyone but I think their mistake was not making up some generic North Korean leader instead of the actual person. Many Hollywood films portray the US President under attack but make up a character instead of using Bush, Clinton, etc... for the same reason.

A few years ago there was a film made by the creators of South Park that ridiculed Kim Jong Il
(Team America: World Police) and the North Koreans took it on the chin but obviously Hollywood thought they could 'push the envelope' and it has come back and bitten them where it hurts them the most, their pocket.
Karma!
Valar Morghulis

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #419 on: December 18, 2014, 02:52:00 pm »
Nobody has the right not to be ridiculed.

"What other people say about me, is none of my business" Wayne Dyer