Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 220302 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #360 on: August 19, 2014, 05:40:50 pm »
I wonder what we are legally allowed to say about them? You have to be so careful these days!  :-X
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #361 on: August 19, 2014, 05:57:38 pm »
I wonder what we are legally allowed to say about them? You have to be so careful these days!  :-X

Oy vay!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #362 on: August 19, 2014, 06:02:56 pm »

Anything that is not defamatory ( libelous or slanderous) or racist.   Otherwise I suppose a modicum of politeness should be considered in whatever you say.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #363 on: August 19, 2014, 07:17:43 pm »
That's what I thought! Best to keep quiet on that particular can of worms!  &shake&

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #364 on: August 20, 2014, 12:36:04 am »

Anything we like Andy, within reason... because we are not talking about a 'race' of people.
The Charedi are a SECT,  something akin to the Moonies. 
Moonies display certain traits,  as do the Amish,  and Millwall football supporters have a certain reputation.
Remember the article?   No one want to escape being a Jewish or Islamic person,  but members of this community express the wish to 'escape'
Therefore, discussing these groups and their tendencies is not a racist matter.
If it's good enough for Ian as Moderator, then it's good enough for me.

I have had the honour of being a guest at Jewish weddings, and done business with many wonderful Jewish people over the years.    I of course refer to Orthodox Jewish people.  Those guys KNOW how to enjoy themselves.
In discussion with those people, I find they they too keep the ULTRA-Orthodox Jewish community at arms-lengths.
An acquaintance of mine from Manchester called them 'hard-core', and said that he and his family were not comfortable around them.

Having read the Independant article,  I now view the issue very differently.
When a group of them descend upon my little shop, knowing that they believe me to be 'evil',  I have no qualms about employing my strategy for lessening my exposure to them.
It is, after all, good for my mental health and stress levels.

Perhaps the Punch and Judy guy might begin to take similar 'evasive action'

Also, I find the most repugnant issue to be the lack of education of females,  and a deliberate lack of state-approved schooling.
I am afraid that is tantamount to child abuse, it is illegal and must be investigated and rectified with utmost urgency.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #365 on: August 20, 2014, 08:55:30 am »

When a group of them descend upon my little shop, knowing that they believe me to be 'evil', 

To be fair they've got a point  WWW

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: August 20, 2014, 09:03:20 am »
we are not talking about a 'race' of people. The Charedi are a SECT,  something akin to the Moonies.

That was exactly my thought on the matter. If anything, they do as much harm to genuine Jewish communities as ISIS are doing to genuine Islamic communities. Extremists in any religion are potentially extremely dangerous, and I agree with F that this deliberate policy of repressing their children is tantamount to abuse in many ways.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #367 on: August 20, 2014, 11:12:33 am »
Just look on them as the Jewish equivalent of the Jehovahs Witnesses to the Christian religion.

JWs consider everyone not of thier faith as evil.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #368 on: August 20, 2014, 11:45:09 am »
Here is a 90 page study carried out by Hackey Borough Council which makes interesting reading about all aspects of the Charedi and their "almost colonisation" of parts of the Borough.    ZXZ

Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #369 on: August 20, 2014, 12:50:05 pm »
Jehova's witless's are wallys too!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #370 on: August 20, 2014, 12:56:01 pm »

_))*     :laugh:     _))*   Way to go M.E.  I luv it.....

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #371 on: August 20, 2014, 01:32:31 pm »
 ;D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: August 20, 2014, 02:41:42 pm »
Here is a 90 page study carried out by Hackey Borough Council which makes interesting reading about all aspects of the Charedi and their "almost colonisation" of parts of the Borough.

You mean this:

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #373 on: August 20, 2014, 02:54:08 pm »

;D

It's not quite that simple although there are marked similarities: steady 'brainwashing' through mandatory attendance at worship, social restriction to only 'their' kind, suppression of any sort of questioning, invasive indoctrination suggesting they are part of a 'unique' group, and everyone else is wicked or godless, pervasive establishing of lies, superstition and so on. These extreme religions groups seek to dominate, control and manage their adherents through a combination of deceit, fear, lack of education and promise of treasures in the afterlife. In short, they aim to turn the clock back about 500 years.

The main difference is that JW's don't actively proselytise when not 'on duty'.  In fact, you wouldn't know you were talking to one unless you asked. From what can be seen, the Charedi don't seek to proselytise in any way.  Rather, they seek to maintain a secretive, insular life, making no contribution to society in general. I wonder how much good that does their children?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:34:08 pm by Ian »

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #374 on: August 20, 2014, 05:01:02 pm »
Just waiting for someone to raise the old chestnut now, and start on the Freemasons!    ZXZ
Cicero