Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 220214 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #345 on: July 23, 2014, 01:12:12 pm »
Yorkie, you can still see it.  :laugh:

http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=stats
Indeed.  :laugh:

Out of interest, if we deduct both Ian and myselfs posts, that leaves 57,277 posts. Divide that figure by 1067 Members and that gives a a figure of 53.6 Posts per Member. Still substantially ahead of most other Forums.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #346 on: July 23, 2014, 01:31:08 pm »
I wonder what the stats are for Facebook?  ?{}?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #348 on: July 23, 2014, 05:36:52 pm »
Thank you ME.   2014 figures look a bit sad compared to 2013!  One post per person per week ain't bad I suppose.  With all this today the average is probably a bit higher now! 
 :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #349 on: July 23, 2014, 06:21:58 pm »
Even higher now!  ZXZ

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #350 on: July 23, 2014, 06:32:46 pm »
Thank you ME.   2014 figures look a bit sad compared to 2013!  One post per person per week ain't bad I suppose.  With all this today the average is probably a bit higher now! 
I wouldn't consider 6.8m page views so far this year disappointing myself...  :laugh:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #351 on: July 23, 2014, 06:57:20 pm »
I wouldn't consider 6.8m page views so far this year disappointing myself...  :laugh:

I don't think sad means disappointing, myself.  6.8m is excellent!  Congratulations!   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #352 on: July 28, 2014, 04:32:55 pm »
Top 10 Topic Starters This Month
Nigel The News Bot27
Lucy H
1 Meleri
1 alw
1 Bri Roberts
1 TheCellarDwellers
1 Fester
1 wrex

That's pretty surprising, nobody posting more than one topic in the whole month. I suppose quite often topics are banded into the static topics already here but I would have thought they'd be more variety

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #353 on: July 28, 2014, 07:44:59 pm »
As you say, most posts are made in the long running topics like 'What's Llandudno Like Right Now'. With over 1,700 topics on the Forum, it can't be easy to find a subject that hasn't already been covered in some way.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #354 on: July 28, 2014, 08:31:28 pm »
I will make a new one to keep b2r happy!  $walesflag$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #355 on: August 18, 2014, 08:29:05 am »
This is interesting and I thought it sufficiently significant to be aired in here, particularly as we are seeing quite a number of charedi visitors to the town at the moment:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/why-i-left-the-ultraorthodox-jewish-community-as-kids-we-were-told-that-the-outside-world-hated-us-9668865.html
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #356 on: August 18, 2014, 10:56:11 pm »
This is interesting and I thought it sufficiently significant to be aired in here, particularly as we are seeing quite a number of charedi visitors to the town at the moment:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/why-i-left-the-ultraorthodox-jewish-community-as-kids-we-were-told-that-the-outside-world-hated-us-9668865.html

Ian,
That article is indeed very interesting.
Although I must be very careful not to generalise, that article strikes a chord with me and explains certain 'behaviours' that I see more and more everyday, in my work.  It begins to explain a great deal.

You see, many ultra-orthadox Jewish families are coming into the shops on the pier these days, and by their actions, they are making themselves unpopular to say the least.
Many of the shop owners are exasperated, confused and a sometimes quite upset by the abrupt and even aggressive manner in which (many) of the Cheradi people conduct themselves.   
They tend to question everything, demand much, pack the kiosk with disruptive children, stay for a VERY long time,and purchase nothing.   I say 'tend' for fear of being branded racist.  But this is the experience of many of the pier shopkeepers.
The Punch and Judy man has suffered more acutely than most.... as they fill his audience, but pointedly refuse to donate anything towards the show.   How does one get round that issue?
Personally, to reduce my own stress levels, I have found myself having to employ certain strategies to 'curtail' my exposure to this, shall we say.

It really boils down to a lack of respect, and as your article alludes to, a culture of being aloof and deliberately separatist.

The Pier is a private business (not a free public facility), and it is populated by small private businesses.
It can only survive if the visitors to it are of a mind to enjoy and purchase the goods and entertainments on offer.
Sadly, there is now an increasing number of visitors, (of many backgrounds) who refuse to do so, for a variety of cultural reasons.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #357 on: August 19, 2014, 07:04:42 am »
They tend to question everything, demand much, pack the kiosk with disruptive children, stay for a VERY long time,and purchase nothing.   I say 'tend' for fear of being branded racist.  But this is the experience of many of the pier shopkeepers.

I believe this is being experienced widely in the town at the moment. I also believe it needs to be tackled, head on as it were. There was a particularly boisterous group of young male charedi around town last week, from a charedi 'summer camp' in Salford. We happened to encounter them, with their leaders, and what was noticeable was their apparent inability to use words like 'please' and 'thank you', a fact which I pointed out to more than one.  Since I'd heard them speaking Yiddish, I asked one - 15 year old, I suspect - which country he was from.  He told me England, rather indignantly, so I asked him what his first language was. He then said 'English' to which I responded that there were special words we use in English when we want something, or when someone has done something for us. He, at least, had the grace to look abashed.

I've not encountered this behaviour from the Jewish community before, so was a bit taken aback.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #358 on: August 19, 2014, 12:28:54 pm »

The Punch and Judy man has suffered more acutely than most.... as they fill his audience, but pointedly refuse to donate anything towards the show.   How does one get round that issue?

It's not an issue. It's a free choice whether or not to donate, they don't want to, that's up to them. If he wants to charge people that's his business, if it's donations then he has to take the rough with the smooth.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:59:31 pm by Ian »

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #359 on: August 19, 2014, 04:24:05 pm »
Personally I think they are like the Queen and do not carry money!  Never seen one on a bus, in a taxi, or any simple place where one could spend a sheckel or two.   Don't ask me why! 
 ZXZ
Cicero