Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 220017 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #210 on: January 23, 2013, 12:29:29 pm »
Although polygraphs may not be accurate, they can assist by giving an indication for further  interrogation or inquiries.   Such further questioning can then be directed at certain aspects maybe highlighted by the poly test.

I do not believe they should be relied on as a proof certain that a person is untruthful.

Not quite as dramatic as torture or the Chinese water treatment!

>?>??
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #211 on: January 23, 2013, 05:16:54 pm »
 A 1997 survey of 421 psychologists estimated the tests average accuracy at about 61%, a little better than chance.[15] Critics also argue that even given high estimates of the polygraph's accuracy a significant number of subjects (e.g. 10% given a 90% accuracy) will appear to be lying, and would unfairly suffer the consequences of "failing" the polygraph.

That's an interesting point Ian.   I wonder exactly how many of these 421 psychologists have "for experimental purposes"  had a lie detector test done on themselves?
If they haven't, as I expect they haven't then theirs is only an opinion and not based on any scientific evidence and therefore their opinion is worthless.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #212 on: January 23, 2013, 06:37:16 pm »
If they haven't, as I expect they haven't then theirs is only an opinion and not based on any scientific evidence and therefore their opinion is worthless.

Well, it's the psychological basis of the polygraph that makes it of any use whatsoever, so if the people responsible for verifying the equipment don't think it's that reliable it tends to suggest that the polygraph itself isn't a lot of use.  And that's a full galvanic response, pressure based system;  what the Insurers are using is a mere voice analytical tool - hardly cutting edge technology. And how would you feel were a close relative of yours to be found 'guilty' of a crime they hadn't committed by one of these?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #213 on: January 23, 2013, 07:52:30 pm »
And how would you feel were a close relative of yours to be found 'guilty' of a crime they hadn't committed by one of these?

I don't think anyone has ever been convicted purely on the basis of a failed polygraph test.  There would have to be substantial other corroborating testimony for any reasonable court of law to convict.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #214 on: January 23, 2013, 09:41:37 pm »
The Jeremy Kyle Show on ITV advertises the lie detector test as being 96% accurate.

This is clearly stated on screen on a daily basis.

Whether that is true or not, (though it should be) ... this mechanism is used to absolutely castigate people and label them for the rest of their lives.

If Wikipaedia is correct, and I know Wikipaedia's content is unregulated, then the actions of this prime time TV show are a national scandal, and possibly criminal.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #215 on: January 23, 2013, 10:27:47 pm »
The Jeremy Kyle Show on ITV advertises the lie detector test as being 96% accurate.

This is clearly stated on screen on a daily basis.

Whether that is true or not, (though it should be) ... this mechanism is used to absolutely castigate people and label them for the rest of their lives.

If Wikipaedia is correct, and I know Wikipaedia's content is unregulated, then the actions of this prime time TV show are a national scandal, and possibly criminal.

It is anyway, that show is vile.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #216 on: January 23, 2013, 10:42:22 pm »
Hardly relevant to the point B2R.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: January 24, 2013, 08:06:19 am »
That programme is absolute dross, to be fair.

Anyone who is stupid enough to appear on it deserves all they get.

And who watches rubbish like that?

?{}?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2013, 08:29:22 am »
That programme is absolute dross, to be fair.

Anyone who is stupid enough to appear on it deserves all they get.

And who watches rubbish like that?

?{}?

We have all been known to watch it, otherwise we would not be aware of the rubbish!  Would we?   :D
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #219 on: January 24, 2013, 08:48:50 am »
I've never watched it. Life's too short and all that....  $good$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #220 on: January 24, 2013, 11:51:10 am »
I've never watched it. Life's too short and all that....  $good$

So how can you say it's dross? 
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: January 24, 2013, 12:34:36 pm »
I don't need to go to the North Pole to know it's cold there...  :laugh:

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #222 on: January 24, 2013, 12:38:46 pm »
Hardly relevant to the point B2R.

Yes it is, I'm saying whether the lie detector actually 'works' or not is one of the least scandalous things about the show. The bullying and public humiliation of vulnerable, often addicted and, or mentally challenged members of the public on national TV is a much bigger crime and scandal.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #223 on: January 24, 2013, 04:15:14 pm »
Would love to see your "evidence" and how you substantiate your criticism of the show.  I also happen to think it's crap, but at least I made my own mind up from what I saw.

Are you sure? Or are you just basing your evidence on the fact that a few penguins live there?   _))*
Cicero

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #224 on: January 24, 2013, 06:20:15 pm »
Would love to see your "evidence" and how you substantiate your criticism of the show.  I also happen to think it's crap, but at least I made my own mind up from what I saw.

Are you sure? Or are you just basing your evidence on the fact that a few penguins live there?   _))*

Actually Penguins live in the South Pole Yorkie.