Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 220192 times)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2013, 11:43:21 am »
               What makes this 100% rise in Lottery Tickets even more annoying is the fact that Camelot is not even a British company now. It was bought by Ontario Teachers Pension Plan for £400m in March 2010. Would this have happened if Richard Branson had been given the franchise at the start? I know people winge about Virgin Trains but at least he had the guts to stand up and expose the complete cock-up and miscalculations by the Government that was the recent proposed transfer to Firstgroup.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2013, 12:39:20 pm »
Camelot have been very devious from the minute they started the lottery. They refused to offer the Lucky Dip option at the beginning so people would choose and ultimately memorise numbers thus making it harder for them to stop as they wouldn't want to risk the chance of their numbers 'coming up' at a future date and missing a win. They then introduced a second weekly draw which gave players a second quandary as their numbers could be drawn midweek instead so they were forced to basically double their weekly stake or risk missing out again.
Now in one foul swoop they're forcing these players to 'double up' again with no increase in the jackpot or the chances of winning it! Their arrogance is unbelievable and I think this time they may have overstepped the mark and a lot of people will finally lose patience with them and stop playing, especially as we're in the middle of the worst recession in many years & it is becoming harder to justify the expense of a little flutter/gamble twice a week.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2013, 04:30:32 pm »
Camelot have been very devious from the start as SDQ has quite rightly pointed out and it amuses me that every Tuesday the prize money seems to be £2.2 million as I thought that the jackpot depended on the amount of tickets sold on that day.   If my thinking is correct then the prize money should vary each week.   ???
When it first came out, I thought that the proceeds were going to the NHS but instead they have been diverted to minority interests and the pockets of the fat cats.
I can never understand either why Richard Branson's offer for the National Lottery rights was turned down and Camelot were able to continue operating the lottery as everyone I have spoken to about the lottery is of the same opinion.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2013, 06:30:58 pm »
Read Tom Bower's book about Richard Branson to discover he's not quite the cuddly do-gooder he likes to profess to be.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Branson-Tom-Bower/dp/0007266766

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2013, 06:35:46 pm »
I can never understand either why Richard Branson's offer for the National Lottery rights was turned down

The original chairman of Camelot was the same chap who'd steered through important legislation for the then Tory government in Education. He was appointed by John Major, who was anxious that the lottery - unlike almost all other state lotteries - should be  run by a private company instead of the government. Branson is a Labour supporter, thus he was never in with a chance at the start, and by the time the renewals came around Camelot was able to argue experience and familiarity to maintain their grip.  Branson has never been liked by the Tories - which, considering his entrepreneurial skills, I find odd. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2013, 06:39:41 pm »
Read Tom Bower's book about Richard Branson to discover he's not quite the cuddly do-gooder he likes to profess to be.

Helped by eyewitness accounts of more than 250 people with direct experience of Branson, Tom Bower has a uncovered a different tale to the one so eagerly promoted by Virgin’s publicists. Here is the full story of Branson: his businesses, his friendships, his ambition, his law-breaking, his drug-taking, his bullying.

Hmmm..sounds bit like almost any other major industry leader or politician.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2013, 06:40:34 pm »
...but they don't profess to be a squeaky clean, do-gooder like Branson?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2013, 06:41:49 pm »
Oh, I don't know about that...

Cameron, Brown, Major, Baker...the list just goes on...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2013, 07:04:10 pm »
Oh, I don't know about that...

Cameron, Brown, Major, Baker...the list just goes on...

The Thatchers, Blair, Wilson, Eden, Hume. . . . . .
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: January 19, 2013, 07:56:18 am »
Biographies are odd things, really; they always claim to be written after talking to 'intimate acquaintances' or, as in this case, 'helped by eyewitness accounts of more than 250 people with direct experience of Branson,' But inevitably, those that liked the guy are only going to say positive things, while it gives those with an axe to grind full rein to say almost anything. I'm also struck by how the same leader can be either 'strong and decisive' or 'bullying and intimidating'. One thing's for sure: no one builds an empire like Branson's by being cuddly and warm to everyone. But he's been a massive and relatively open success story, during a period when many other businesses were closeted and deceitful.  He may not be polishing his halo on a daily basis but I'd rather him than Sir Fred Goodwin any day.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: January 19, 2013, 11:01:29 am »
One gets the impression that BCUHB would like to shut down all healthcare in North Wales and save themselves the trouble of doing anything.... &shake&

FURIOUS campaigners slammed the NHS cuts revealed at the public meeting at St Asaph’s Optic Centre yesterday.

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board’s board of members were heckled, mocked and angrily shouted at by the public who looked on as they slashed services across North Wales.

At several points a neonatal campaigner – John Hewitt – was asked to sit down during discussions as he disputed the fact that babies would be more safely treated in Merseyside, rather than Ysbyty Glan Clwyd.

The board’s response was to threaten to cease the meeting when he became vocal.

Mr Hewitt, 39, experienced premature birth first-hand when his now 18-month-old daughter, Moli was born at just 32 weeks and had to be resuscitated at birth and then treated at Glan Clwyd on a ventilator.

Furious when the board went with the decision to cease treating premature babies at intensive care long-term at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd, he said outside: “I’ve no faith in those people in there.

“They are supposed to be educated people.”

John’s wife, Nicola, 34, from Llanfair TH said the decision to force seriously ill babies and their parents to travel to Arrowe Park Hospital was “disgusting”.

Nicola believed the decision to outsource the care to England could cost babies lives.

“I think it is disgusting. The main thing is it is an awful lot of stress for the parents, but the babies can’t cope with the extra stress,” she said.

“They just need to rest and get better.

“If a mother is breastfeeding, then we were going to hospital two times a day to express the milk.

“You couldn’t expect a parent to do that twice a day to Arrowe Park.

“This will 100% cost lives. Babies don’t like being handled and put in different cots and ambulances.

“The baby needs rest and if the mother is breast feeding, the mother’s breast milk and father’s contact to aid growth.

“Moli was 3lbs when she was born, some babies are only 1lb. They couldn’t survive a journey to Liverpool, they are fragile.”

Also angry were protesters complaining huge petitions hadn’t been included in the statistics as part of the consultation report.

Hecklers disrupted the meeting on several occasions particularly on figures representing feeling on the closure of Prestatyn Community Hospital and Colwyn Bay Hospital’s minor injuries unit.

Old Colwyn councillor Cheryl Carlisle complained a petition letter containing 1,796 names had not been included in the data considered by the board.

“I’m outraged. They’ve discounted 1,796 letters, our letters don’t appear in the figures,” she said.

“They were just here today to rubber stamp. But the fight goes on. We don’t feel they’ve based this decision on public opinion. We will continue to fight for the public good.”

Ann Williams, 65, is a member of Colwyn Bay Action Group.

“I’m very, very disappointed. Very cross. We don’t feel we’ve been listened to,” she said.

“I feel the results have been based on floored numbers. We are just waiting to see if this is the tip of the iceberg and they will gradually close the hospital- it’s been there since 1899.

“Colwyn Bay Hospital was built by the people of Colwyn Bay for the people of Colwyn Bay.

“They had made the decision about closing the hospital before they got here today they just came here to cross the Ts, they weren’t going to take any notice of us at all.”

Members of the public campaigning for Flint’s community hospital, which was closed, were livid when they learned the NHS would fund just one patient bed for the elderly at a nursing home.

Another member of the public called a board member trying to appease the crowds “a smiling assassin.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2013/01/18/campaigners-furious-at-north-wales-nhs-shake-up-decisions-55578-32633494/

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: January 19, 2013, 05:27:43 pm »
Presumably, this is all because of NHS money being cut.  Those bankers have a lot to answer for...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2013, 06:21:44 pm »
Presumably, this is all because of NHS money being cut.  Those bankers have a lot to answer for...
It wouldn't appear so, according to this 2011 article:

"...the NHS in Wales would receive £288m in extra funding over the next three years. "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/healthcare-network/2011/oct/10/cautious-welcome-extra-nhs-wales-funding

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2013, 06:43:16 pm »
ha ha dave we were promised 40 48 million for llandudo hospital the plans that i saw were very good they had no intetion to spend any money , just to get rid of services as they are doing ,too many bad managers on too much money,

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: January 20, 2013, 08:09:31 am »
Interesting article. Though - to be fair - managing hospitals can't be the easiest job in the world, though a lot of little things could make a big difference. And it seems to be the little things that so often get overlooked.