Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 220073 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #165 on: December 28, 2012, 01:20:22 pm »
Cormorants have been flying around for millions of years, like pigeons although pigeons don't eat fish.  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: December 28, 2012, 02:42:03 pm »
As ever, an erudite and informative answer from Ian.

Actually, just copied and pasted....

But you knew that, didn't you, you minx...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #167 on: December 28, 2012, 04:23:38 pm »
As ever, an erudite and informative answer from Ian.

Actually, just copied and pasted....

But you knew that, didn't you, you minx...

Actually I didn't know that.... and please don't spoil the illusion!
I assumed that a little Googling was involved, plus the over-laying of your own opinion. :)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2013, 06:26:55 pm »
This BBC News article (very short) just goes to show that you need to be very careful these days before giving a helping hand!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-20944339
Fester...

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2013, 07:38:39 pm »
This BBC News article (very short) just goes to show that you need to be very careful these days before giving a helping hand!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-20944339

I saw a TV documentary a few months ago where the exact same thing happened. A costly mistake even if the insurers pay out, with the loss of no-claims bonus & increased premiums for the next few years!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2013, 07:53:38 pm »
I heard of this many years ago which is why I would never let anyone sit in one of my cars under those circumstances!  :o

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2013, 10:25:13 am »
I saw this on Oscar's blog...I wonder how much of it is true?

"Dear Oscar,
love the site, I share your concerns over the Temple of Waste, thought you might like to know a few juicy facts about Conwy County Council and How it LOVES TO WASTE MONEY ,

number
1/ The council are paying for Broadband at home for many of its staff,

2/They are paying for Laptops at home for many of its staff.

3/They are paying for Telephone lines at home for many of its staff,

4/They are paying for photocopiers at home for many of its staff,

5/The training budget has already been spent in many departments, leaving nothing left,

6/Various staff continue to fiddle accounts, ie

Milliage,Journeys faked etc

Hotel expenses and trips away even when there is no need to stay over

7/ Unfair recruitment of staff, ie Someone is already being lined up for one of the senior posts in Dinerth road, and the existing manager has not even left, but The new woman is getting ready for the posts, similar shady practises continue all over the county,

Ill keep you posted with more
Oh yes The big wigs are soon to get their new orders of the Ipad mini to play with, and what a cost, only at Conwy could this happen   
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:44:19 pm by DaveR »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2013, 11:04:41 am »
It wouldn't matter if it were all true.

There are processes in place whereby you can lodge a complaint about such practises.
A formal complaint, with witnesses or specific examples is THE ONLY way that such things should be looked in to.

In these days of rampant slander and innuendo on social media, it makes effective management very difficult in disciplinary matters.
Such anonymous ramblings should be completely disregarded.
Fester...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2013, 11:54:40 am »

Such anonymous ramblings should be completely disregarded.

Unless, of course, such rambling are true.  I have heard the same.   It is no good being a Whistle blower within the County either, as the "confidentiality" is soon disregarded. 

One can add to this lot the high cost of allowing staff to use Counil vehicles to travel to and from home every day, possibly without being taxed on the benefit.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2013, 12:06:05 pm »
Sorry no.  There is no place for anonymous 'poison pen' attacks like that in any large organisation.

CCBC, like all large concerns employ a large HR department, who are responsible for investigating such issues.

For example, on points 1 to 4, my wife benefits from all those items...(laptop, phone bill etc), totally legitimately within her employment contract.  So these things are not uncommon.

Some of the other items look more strange, but should not be assumed are corrupt.
There are many bitter and twisted people out there who begrudge the 'perks' of others.
These people should raise complaints through proper channels.

I sincerely hope that the person who WROTE that article Oscar is disciplined in the strongest manner for doing so.
Fester...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2013, 02:34:40 pm »
Sorry no.  There is no place for anonymous 'poison pen' attacks like that in any large organisation.

CCBC, like all large concerns employ a large HR department, who are responsible for investigating such issues.

For example, on points 1 to 4, my wife benefits from all those items...(laptop, phone bill etc), totally legitimately within her employment contract.  So these things are not uncommon.

Some of the other items look more strange, but should not be assumed are corrupt.
There are many bitter and twisted people out there who begrudge the 'perks' of others.
These people should raise complaints through proper channels.

I sincerely hope that the person who WROTE that article Oscar is disciplined in the strongest manner for doing so.

All of these accusations, together with any proof, could be passed on to the Local Government Ombudsman who has a duty to investigate should the evidence warrant it.   

Unfortunately there are dishonest people in every Society and Councils could easily suffer from the same problem.    I'm sure we all know the old "fiddle" of two people travelling to the same meeting in one car, but both claiming the mileage allowance!   There are, of ourselves, many other opportunities for those dishonest people who chose to be so.    WWW
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2013, 09:29:58 am »
The decision of Camelot to double  the price of Lottery Tickets later in the year seems to have stirred up a hornets nest of objections.   Like most others I too am not happy about it as our family syndicate will have to cough up twice as much and still get only a 14,000,00 to 1 chance of winning the Jackpot as before.  The increase in prizes for the smaller wins is of little significance as we are all in it for the bigger amounts.

It was launched as a NATIONAL LOTTERY for THE PEOPLE, but now seems to be turning into another get rich quick scheme for the Private Company operating it.

Balls to them, I say!   With or without numbers on them!  $bounce$
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2013, 10:20:25 am »
You've missed a zero off there, it is 14,000,000 to one chance, I have not bought a ticket for years now, so I've won a pound several times a week over the years!   :laugh:

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2013, 11:17:47 am »
Why should Camelot be allowed to get away with this ?
As Yorkie says it is the peoples lottery and Camelot are licenced by the government run it.
The licence must have been granted at £1 a line and surely they are not going to get away with a 100% increase.

I am sure most people faced with an increase of that amount for whatever they wanted to purchase would take their custom somewhere else.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:34 am »
You've missed a zero off there, it is 14,000,000 to one chance, I have not bought a ticket for years now, so I've won a pound several times a week over the years!   :laugh:

I blame the iPad for the missing 0, it has a mind of its own!    (Yes I have - padi)  _))*

Our little family Lottery has yielded many £10 wins and a few bigger ones for getting 4 numbers correct, in fact, last week won just over £100.   I suppose still well down over the years but who knows what lies round the corner?  £££££££££££££££££££'s.  :D
Cicero