Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 220046 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2012, 02:18:57 pm »
CRB checks are non-transferable, they only apply to the organisation that applied for them for you.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2012, 02:40:59 pm »
There is also the possibility that you have a valid CRB certificate but then commit an offence which results in a CRB fail but you could use the older certificate to gain employment. I guess it makes sense to have a new check for each different activity if they aren't linked.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2012, 08:09:58 am »
"Government figures have revealed up to 1,400 people received more than £30,000 in housing benefit costing the taxpayer up to £65 million. "

http://politicshome.com/uk/story/28435/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2012, 08:57:30 am »
ALMOST 800 people across North Wales are getting benefits because they are addicted to drugs or alcohol.

The bill for their claims runs into millions of pounds a year – and Ministers have promised to reform the system.

The Department for Work and Pensions have published the figures amid criticism of their plans to subject all incapacity benefit claimants to tough ‘fit for work’ tests.

In north Wales, 780 people were receiving incapacity benefit (IB) or employment support allowance (ESA) with drug or boozde addiction as their main “disabling condition”, the DWP said.

A further 200 were claiming disability living allowance (DLA), with some of them eligible for one of the other benefits.

Conwy had the most cases, 200, with 120 IB claimants and 80 on ESA because of their drug or alcohol problems. An additional 50 receive DLA.

Wrexham and Flintshire both had 150 (each having 100 IB, 50 ESA). They each also have 30 people on DLA. Denbighshire has 120 (70 on IB and 50 on ESA) with 50 claiming DLA; Gwynedd 120 (80 on IB, 40 on ESA) with 20 on DLA; Anglesey 40 (30 on IB, 10 on ESA) plus 20 on DLA, according to the figures relating to November last year.

The benefits paid to drug addicts and alcoholics come to around £83,000 a week or £4.1m each year.

A breakdown shows there are 280 people in North Wales claiming IB paid at £99.15 after 12 months for alcohol dependency and 220 for drugs. On ESA, which is paid at £99.15-£105.05 weekly, there were 210 alcoholics and 70 claimants dependent on drugs

The figure are based on claimants collecting the lowest level of one of the two DLA components at £20.55 a week, so the actual weekly total could potentially be up to £26,000 higher.

The coalition’s reforms to address the issue include replacing DLA with a new payment with tougher criteria. All IB claimants are already being subjected to tests to see if they are physically capable of working.

A DWP spokeswoman said: “Reform of the broken incapacity benefit system is about saving lives, rather than writing people off to a life on benefits as used to happen.”

Charities working with addicts say the claimants are not exploiting the system as if they are unable to work they would have to claim benefits, otherwise they would starve.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/08/02/4m-benefits-bill-for-north-wales-drug-and-alcohol-addicts-55578-31529755/#.UBlH_b7DxtE.twitter

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2012, 04:16:17 pm »
So as well as a free bus pass to get to the pub they also get the booze paid for by the taxpayer? That'll solve the problem. NOT! Surely the money would be better spent trying to end the addiction not encouraging it, or am I missing something here?
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2012, 10:29:51 pm »
So as well as a free bus pass to get to the pub they also get the booze paid for by the taxpayer? That'll solve the problem. NOT! Surely the money would be better spent trying to end the addiction not encouraging it, or am I missing something here?
No, you're absolutely right.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2012, 08:21:23 am »
It's a tricky one, addiction.  If it's pronounced, then the state chooses between abandonment of the individual or treatment of the individual, and the latter costs a great deal more than simply paying them IB or DLA. The other side of that coin is whether serious addiction should be considered a disease at all, or whether it ought to be viewed simply as a personality defect. There's also evidence that some people are far more susceptible to addictive behaviours than others, and the huge amount of research on drug abuse points to significant changes in brain chemistry and physiology occurring as a consequence of taking the drugs in the first place.  Whatever society chooses to do, however, it's going to cost.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2012, 08:34:59 am »
Whatever the reason, the State effectively giving them money to allow them to drink themselves to death whilst, in many cases, causing misery to law abiding members of society at the same time, does not seem acceptable.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2012, 08:57:18 am »
No, because the impact on the decent folk is significant.  So, what ought to be done?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2012, 09:11:18 am »
Fit them with the implants that cause vomiting if alcohol is consumed and give them a  brush to sweep the streets?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2012, 11:56:57 am »
No, because the impact on the decent folk is significant.  So, what ought to be done?

Put them together with all the worthless scum on the Isle of Wight and then . . . . . . . . . whatever you will!   ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2012, 12:43:26 am »
I find myself agreeing with Ian, (not a position I regularly find myself in) its such a tricky subject.

From personal experience, my brother was on disability allowance for his alcohol and depression problems, (before they got the better of him and he passed away)

He had a meagre few bob in his pocket to buy some beer, or get a bus to see his kids... or make a hospital appointment.
But thats all he had.
If he didn't have even that to look forward to, I'm not sure what his last few years would have been like.
Even more miserable than they were, I imagine.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2012, 02:27:46 pm »
Fit them with the implants that cause vomiting if alcohol is consumed and give them a  brush to sweep the streets?

It didn't work with George Best and probably won't work with a lot of others who are not as privilaged as Best was and who also have additional problems.
I don't think though that they should qualify for additional benefits because of a problem they have created for themselves.   Whatever next, more food for the obese. More money for drugs for the drug addicts, cigarette addicts etc. and while I'm at it no child benefit for more than 2 or 3 children.
Drink,inject, smoke or procreate what you can afford.   Workers already abide by those ideas so why shouldn't the others do it?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2012, 03:30:16 pm »
It's all bonkers, I'm very fond of driving so will they pay for my petrol addiction? No instead it's very heavily taxed!!  For a long time I have been convinced that alcohol in the wrong hands (mouths) is the biggest cause of problems here, I'm lucky I drink very little alcohol, I can take or leave it, but an addictive personality is a different matter!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2012, 11:43:20 pm »
I too can take or leave alcohol....... but I'd rather take it, its all the same to you!  (hic)   Z**
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -