Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 220235 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #1170 on: January 13, 2024, 11:02:54 am »
I doubt he was prosecuted too. During my days working in tax I found the Tory supporters to be the most dishonest. While they target people on benefits, they don't seem to think tax evasion, or avoidance, is wrong. It is one law for the Tories and another for everyone else.

That was my experience too Helig and that's how I found out about those identical number plates

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1171 on: January 14, 2024, 02:57:21 pm »
DVLA may know who the registered owner of the car is but it could be hidden in a barn for years.  It's only when driven on the road that it would become illegal.  ANPR cameras would catch drivers using the vehicle, and if it was a stationary camera at the road side it could check every vehicle.!

Sorry DVT but I forgot to put this down in my previous reply but I sent a FOI request to the N Wales Police in recent years and they confirmed that on the whole length of the A55 they did not have one ANPR camera.   They are all just speed cameras
I was also told that there are only 4 Police cars fitted with ANPR cameras in the whole of North Wales so I'm afraid that we can't expect the Police to recover the missing millions of pounds in unpaid road tax
The buck still lies with the DVLA

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1172 on: January 28, 2024, 10:38:59 am »
Would you mind if your mail was delivered only three days a week?

That's one option being proposed by watchdog Ofcom to reform the nation's postal service, over concerns the current operation is outdated and unsustainable.

Royal Mail has also been calling for change itself. The company has for some time questioned the UK's one-price-goes-anywhere universal postal service - an operation enshrined in law.

So is time running out for this British institution in a digital world?

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68078724

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1173 on: January 28, 2024, 11:11:09 am »
It seems that the Royal Mail and the Post Office have been forcing the issue on this for some time now.    I've had chats with the local Postmen and they have been told to concentrate on delivering parcels which are the most lucrative part of their business.   This is done at the expense of delivering letters.
I've not experienced delays in delivery of letters but you often hear about people who have and have missed vital medical appointments as a result

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1174 on: February 01, 2024, 10:17:39 am »
The financial crisis facing England's councils is "out of control" with even well-run local authorities at risk of going bust, MPs have warned.

A cross-party committee said the government must plug a ?4bn funding gap to avoid a "severe impact" on services.

They also called for council tax to be reformed, describing the current system as "outdated" and "regressive".

The government said it recognised the challenges facing councils and had announced an extra ?600m in support.

In a new report, the Commons Levelling Up, Housing and Communities Committee said councils were being hit by "systemic underfunding", as well as increased costs and demands for services.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68159001

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1175 on: February 01, 2024, 12:40:17 pm »
The government said it recognised the challenges facing councils and had announced an extra 600m in support.

Wow.  600 m, eh?  Considering the UK Government itself recognises a  4bn shortfall for next year, I wonder how that is supposed to help?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1176 on: February 05, 2024, 10:04:38 am »
Car owners urged to 'consider if they need vehicle' with big cost rise hitting soon
While some won't see major changes, others will see large amounts added to the cost of running a vehicle

Car owners are being urged to consider if they need a vehicle as a significant cost increase is expected in April. Paul Daly, director of InsureDaily.co.uk, suggested motorists should evaluate the "value of owning a car" due to the rising costs of running one.

New Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) rates are set to affect road users from April 1, 2024, according to The Express. While some won't see big changes, others will face large increases in the cost of running a car.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/car-owners-urged-consider-need-28568674

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1177 on: February 05, 2024, 11:32:08 am »
I've just had a renewal reminder for one of my cars and the premium had increased by 40% from last year even though I have never made a claim..      When I phoned the Insurance company up they explained that it was due to the rising costs of motoring.
I'm lucky because the cost wasn't so bad when you hear how much young people have to pay for their car insurance
It's not surprising that so many drivers nowadays drive without any insurance

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1178 on: February 11, 2024, 10:48:02 am »
Rishi Sunak says he was taken by surprise on ?1,000 Rwanda bet
In an interview on TalkTV, Mr Morgan challenged the PM: "I'll bet you ?1,000 to a refugee charity you don't get anybody on those planes before the election."
Shaking hands with the presenter, Mr Sunak said: "I want to get people on the planes."
Mr Sunak has said he expects a general election to be held in the second half of this year and one must legally take place by the end of January 2025.
We'll have to see who wins the bet but what I would like to know is what happens to those illegal migrants when they fail the Asylum request?      Do they remain in Rwanda or does the UK government have to fly them back to the UK?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-68214641

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1179 on: February 13, 2024, 09:53:10 am »
The forgotten teenagers

I was watching an interview on BBC  TV this morning and there was a man called John Roberts who was talking about the benefits of having youth clubs for teenagers.   They are a safe place for youngsters to go and there are plenty of activities to keep them occupied and entertained.    Sadly he said that in England there was a decline of 53% in the number of Youth Clubs in recent years.

It made me think of my own teenage years in Llandudno and I'd be at our Youth Club almost every night.   It was a safe place to meet your friends and there was so much going on that you would never get bored.    There were also other Youth Clubs in the three Towns area at Conwy,  Llandudno Junction and Colwyn Bay but they have all gone now.     I reckon that I'm one of the lucky generation and still appreciate what Dewi Parry, his wife and the other volunteers did for the youngsters of the town
When did it all start to go wrong?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1180 on: February 13, 2024, 10:41:24 am »
The forgotten teenagers
When did it all start to go wrong?

"A parliamentary report last year found that a rise in knife crime was linked to youth service cuts. "

"The government is building shops and other infrastructure, but where are the community centres?"

"We are investing ?560m over the next three years in a new National Youth Guarantee, so that by 2025 every young person will have access to regular clubs and activities, including opportunities to volunteer." A government spokesperson

"If ministers want to tackle crime, they need to rebuild youth services. And that means investing much more than they've promised." Unison.

"Almost two-thirds of youth organisations with incomes under ?250,000 say they are at risk of closure, with 31% saying they might have to shut in the next six months.The predicted closures come against a backdrop of years of chronic underfunding that has already forced at least 763 youth centres to shut since 2012. A further round of major cuts to local authority youth services is expected in the near future."

?Youth work could be the only answer to helping these children; a preventative service that provides support before problems arise.? Anna Alcock, head of engagement and advocacy at UK Youth.

Defence expenditure increased by 18% on 2020/21 spending levels to ?71.4 billion. This ranked Defence above that of HMRC, where spending decreased substantially by 52% to ?58.5 billion. Spending in HMRC was significantly higher in 2020/21 due to the support provided during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic through the Coronavirus Job Retention and Self-Employment Income Support Schemes. Continuing last year?s rise in department spending, a significant increase was once again seen in BEIS expenditure, climbing from ?54.6 billionr in 2020/21 to ?139.9 billion in 2021/22. Rather than the apparent one-off increase in HMRC expenditure seen in 2020/21, however, spending with BEIS is much more variable year-to-year.

Anne Longfield, the children?s commissioner for England, said the research was ?shocking but sadly, not surprising. A major funder said to me recently that he had wanted to substantially invest in youth provision but when he had sought applications, he found most of the services he wanted to support had already closed down,? she said.

Matthew Hussey, the public affairs manager of the Children?s Society, said another missed opportunity was the chancellor?s spending review in December.
?It was a chance to place children?s services, which include council-led support for young people like youth work, on a sustainable footing and give councils the resources they need to rebuild the support so needed by children and young people,? he said.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1181 on: February 18, 2024, 03:17:23 pm »
Pavement Parking
Making and passing laws in the UK is a long and drawn out process and I should think an expensive one too so when a law is made there should also be a way of enforcing the law if needed
We have seen laws passed for dogs to be micro chipped, litter offences, dog mess etc etc but who has ever seen anyone enforce these laws?
Here in Wales the roads are so narrow that if cars didn't park on the pavement the traffic wouldn't be able to flow in some streets so do we need new laws when we already have existing laws to prevent obstructive parking on pavements?
Traffic Wardens and the Police can enforce these present laws but again who has ever seen these laws enforced?
After introducing the 20 mph law on roads in Wales the Welsh Government should think long and hard before even considering passing any new laws

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1182 on: February 24, 2024, 10:04:10 am »
Former Post Office boss Paula Vennells has been formally stripped of her CBE for "bringing the honours system into disrepute", according to the Cabinet Office.

Ms Vennells said last month she would hand back her title following the Horizon IT scandal.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68384240

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1183 on: February 24, 2024, 10:55:11 am »
There was a talk on TV this week about car parks and the fact that the distance between the white parking lines has not increased over the years but cars have grown a lot wider in that time.        It's not helped by bad parking either.
I suppose the same could be said for garages too as all the cars I've seen parked on driveways wouldn't even get in to their garages so perhaps it's time for a rethink by the so called experts who design houses or car parking spaces

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1184 on: February 26, 2024, 09:32:36 am »
Interesting article on the recent protest by farmers.............

The Lesley Griffiths interview: farmers protests and the controversial subsidy scheme
Minister for rural affairs says 'We'll have to listen. We'll have to find solutions to all the concerns that are being raised'

Lesley Griffiths, the minister in charge of rural affairs for the Welsh Government, has spoken about the current anger among farmers in Wales. They are upset about the plans to replace the subsidies they received while part of the EU.

These plans require farmers to dedicate 10% of their land to trees and another 10% to wildlife habitats, for Wales to meet crucial emissions targets.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/lesley-griffiths-interview-farmers-protests-28703215?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

I do remember some stories back in the 80s, when farmers could get compensation for fencing off areas of their land, the rumour was that they fenced of areas that were impossible to farm, marshes and lakes and ponds etc,