Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 220137 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #1065 on: June 29, 2023, 12:15:33 pm »
Helig,  I share your frustration at the present asylum system.   It's a shambles and that statement "we'll take control of our borders"  was just another Tory lie
To be fair though when Labour get into power I don't think that they will do much better unless they take a more radical approach. 

The problem is that those arriving are claiming asylum. If we, as a comparatively wealthy country, choose to accept asylum seekers, then we incur obligations. But a lot of this debate is exaggerated.

There is a backlog on processing these people who have come to the UK illegally, but they could fast track all the Albanians immediately and return them to Albania as Italy did in 1991
Certainly could, if the Tories hadn't slashed the civil service.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1066 on: June 29, 2023, 12:17:28 pm »
Some facts:

At the end of 2021 around 89.3 million people were forcibly displaced across the world. Of these, 27.1 million were refugees, whilst 53.2 million were internally displaced within their country of origin.

72% of the world?s refugees are living in countries neighbouring their country of origin, often in developing countries

Over 6.8 million people have fled conflict in Syria, and many more are displaced inside the country. T?rkiye is the biggest refugee hosting country in the world. At the end of 2022 T?rkiye was providing safety to 3.7 million Syrian refugees. By the end of February 2021 the UK had resettled 20,319 refugees from Syria under the Vulnerable Persons Resettlement Scheme (VPRS). This includes 239 refugees who were resettled prior to the target of 20,000 being set.

The UK is home to approx. 1% of the 27.1 million refugees who were forcibly displaced across the world.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1067 on: June 29, 2023, 12:20:04 pm »

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #1068 on: July 01, 2023, 09:54:24 am »
Ian, in your post times at 12.17 yesterday you don't give the source of your figures. The subsequent post has a link to the Refugee Council which appears to be the basis of the figures you quote. This organisation is unlikely to give an independent account of the situation that exists in the UK. It should be borne in mind the UK is small island with limited resources. Last year the government figures show that 1.2 million people moved to the UK leaving a net migration figure of 606,000. There has been a study based on these figures which shows that if this level of migration continues the UK's population will increase by 83-87 million by 2046. This would require an additional 6-8 million more homes. That would be the equivalent of 15-18 cities the size of Birmingham.

Apart from the saturation point we have reached with immigrants in some areas, in general the level of migration is a great strain on resources and services. I also object to paying income tax to fund the lifestyle they are given here. Our own people are living in poverty on the streets with no access to basic comforts. Why can't they be accommodated in hotels etc and given some sort of dignity? I accept that some of the people coming here are genuine but the vast majority are not. Bear in mind that the figures only cover the migrants they know about, there are very many who are not reflected in the figures.

The Tory agenda is designed for business regardless of what the country, wants or can accept. Business wants cheap labour and this is one way they can get it. It wouldn't surprise me if the people smugglers are operated by the Tories. They like to make money by any way they can, legal or otherwise. As Nye Bevan once said the Tories, "are lower than vermin".

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1069 on: July 01, 2023, 11:59:30 am »
Ian, in your post times at 12.17 yesterday you don't give the source of your figures.  Business wants cheap labour and this is one way they can get it. It wouldn't surprise me if the people smugglers are operated by the Tories. They like to make money by any way they can, legal or otherwise. As Nye Bevan once said the Tories, "are lower than vermin".

Fair point, Helig. I take quotes from more than one source, and usually from around three.

In my experience, these are the best:

1.  Media Bias/FactCheck Excellent for checking on the fairness or otherwise of TV and News sites.

2. Fact Check  Broader coverage of sites in general.

3. Headline check  Good for identifying false stories

4. Snopes  One of the very best although it has been accused of some inaccuracy but which site hasn't?

In short, no one site is whiter than white, although those I've mentioned seem extremely accurate almost all the time.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1070 on: July 01, 2023, 12:11:12 pm »
Quote from: Helig link=topic=467.msg126649#msg126649
Last year the government figures show that 1.2 million people moved to the UK leaving a net migration figure of 606,000.

Since their introduction in March 2022, there have been 283,366 applications for a visa under Ukraine Visa Schemes, of these 225,278 have been granted and 169,300 arrivals have been identified to the year ending March 2023. In addition, there have been 24,593 extensions granted under the Ukraine Family Scheme and Ukraine Extension Scheme. That represents a significant chunk of the 606,000 you quoted.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1071 on: July 01, 2023, 12:16:10 pm »
I also object to paying income tax to fund the lifestyle they are given here. Our own people are living in poverty on the streets with no access to basic comforts.

I don't wish to cause any  offence, Helig but could you explain precisely who you mean when you say "Our own people"?

Offline DVT

« Reply #1072 on: July 01, 2023, 05:29:56 pm »
I also object to paying income tax to fund the lifestyle they are given here. Our own people are living in poverty on the streets with no access to basic comforts.

I don't wish to cause any  offence, Helig but could you explain precisely who you mean when you say "Our own people"?

Quite obvious what is meant, in my opinion ... people who are of families born, live and worked in the UK, and contributed to the countries finances by way of income tax and national insurance.

We (the UK government and councils) are freely giving away hundreds every week to asylum seekers, putting them up in reasonable accomodation.  Yes, I have some sympathy with those fleeing from war-torn countries but not those who chose to cross many safe countries, and put their own lives at risk in small boats, to get to the UK because that ls where the hand-outs are.

It wouldn't matter which political party was in power, they would all be doing the same.

"Charity begins at home."

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1073 on: July 02, 2023, 09:49:48 am »
Well said DVT and that opinion is shared by everyone I have spoken to.        In the UK we seem to be scared of stating the truth in case it offends anyone.
"We'll take control of our borders, we'll select who we want to come to the UK" are just empty comments made by this totally delusional Tory Government.      The Tories have a duty to protect and look after UK citizens but they are not doing that.
Despite what anyone says these "asylum seekers" are not genuine refugees or otherwise they would have applied for asylum in the first safe country they arrived at.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1074 on: July 03, 2023, 12:49:30 pm »
Tory MPs issue plan for Rishi Sunak to slash migration,   :o   will it work  :roll:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66084962

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1075 on: July 14, 2023, 10:45:29 am »
Many people feel the same about proposals to scrap six week summer holiday in Wales
Teachers, parents and others will be asked for their opinions, but some have already given their views

People have been giving their opinions on the proposed scrapping of the six-week school summer holiday in Wales. On Thursday this week, education minister Jeremy Miles said a formal public consultation would be held in the 2023-24 academic year to gauge support for changing holiday and half term dates.

Reforming the school year is one of the commitments in the Welsh Government's manifesto, which also argues the current calendar of three school terms was designed 150 years ago in a very different era when children were needed to help with agricultural work in the summer. Parents, teachers and others are to be asked their views on shortening the school summer holiday in Wales in the next year.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/many-people-feel-same-proposals-27318908?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1076 on: July 16, 2023, 01:14:51 pm »
I saw a TV programme yesterday about the Asylum seekers in the UK and it was quite refreshing listening to it  without interference  from PC or the small minority of unelected do gooders.    Apparently Asylum seekers including failed Asylum seekers will be given somewhere to live if they need it, plus a range of other benefits.      I'm sure in time some will even get an OAP
It's worth having a look at the link below which is an eye opener.       Those illegal migrants now landing in Greece and Italy may be heading here soon thanks to the generosity of the UK government

https://www.gov.uk/asylum-support/what-youll-get

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1077 on: July 16, 2023, 01:36:07 pm »
Reap what you sow ............   

Offline DVT

« Reply #1078 on: July 16, 2023, 08:27:07 pm »
I was talking about the asylum seekers today with someone whose sister lives in France.

What do the asylum seekers get from the French government - absolutely nothing - that's why they come here.

If the government (regardless of party) wants to stop the boats then quite simply stop the hand-outs.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1079 on: July 17, 2023, 09:51:26 am »
My sister was over last week, she mentioned that both she and her friends have stopped wearing jewellery in public, and have all increased home security.