Author Topic: The forum and its future: your views.  (Read 15955 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
The forum and its future: your views.
« on: July 16, 2021, 12:04:56 pm »
We're approaching the forum's 11th birthday. In the time it’s been running, a lot has changed. Some have left, some have passed away and some have joined and we've had more than eleven million hits.

DaveR has–sadly–been unable to devote much time, because of family and other commitments, so we’ve seen a lot fewer of his excellent photographs and missed his wry sense of humour. Although the forum has become largely self-managing, in August (19th, to be precise) we have to pay the annual costs of maintaining the hosting and retaining the domain name. Together, these come to roughly £200.

Because most of our long-time members are ad-free members, we now get very little from advertising revenue and, although our hit rates remain very high, it means that if we want the place to remain in existence we have to make the payments when they become due.

I have already PM’ed some of our most active and long-serving members, and one member has suggested that perhaps 20 members could contribute around £10.00 each. I would be able to set up a non-profit bank account which would exist purely for the annual renewal fees, and those members who wished to contribute would be able to pay into that account if they so wished.

In return those who contribute would become associate owners of the forum and would have a special board, inaccessible by anyone not in the group, where discussions could be held relating to the forum. They would also become able to modify and create aspects of the forum. In effect they would become moderators.

However, this all depends on whether there’s enough interest in keeping the forum going. We have some time to consider it, but please do let us know how you feel.

Thanks.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: The forum and its future: your views.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 12:55:45 pm »
I would be happy to contribute the £10 to keep it going.
I have enjoyed many aspects of the forum over the years and have found it very useful.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 01:10:37 pm »
I feel the same Hollins  I've enjoyed reading peoples postings and also contributing things myself.     It's the first thing I look at when I open up the laptop

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 02:45:06 pm »
I'm in, as I mentioned there is to much history, photos, research and information on the Forum to lose it.     $salute$ $3towns$

Offline Helig

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 03:13:21 pm »
Count me in as I get so much enjoyment from the information on Llandudno etc. I live some distance away and it is the only way I have of keeping in touch.

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 05:05:55 pm »
Likewise £10 . 00 seems very good value .

Online Hammy

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 07:13:04 pm »
Quite happy to contribute £10 for this wide ranging facility and knowledge bank. which is organised in a logical and searchable format unlike FB alternatives.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 07:43:35 pm »
Happy to chip in £10.

Offline SAJ

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 08:20:49 pm »
Count me in too! I have quite a few bits and pieces that I’d like to contribute, just haven’t got around to it yet, although I’ve been checking in fairly regularly. £10 is basically little more than a posh coffee and lump of cake.

Offline DVT

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 09:53:21 pm »
... and me!

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 11:06:16 pm »
Count me in too

Offline Michael W

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 11:55:08 pm »
Long time non posting member here. Love the town but can't visit as often as I would like. £10 is a small amount to pay for the enjoyment and knowledge I get from the forum. I would gladly pay a bit more if required to keep this forum running.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2021, 08:33:42 am »
Count me in.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline mull

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2021, 09:00:02 am »
Count me in at £10 great value.
Nice to keep in touch with what is going on from long distance and fantastic people on here helping with family history etc.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2021, 06:33:51 pm »
I'm in, it just wouldn't be the same without you $3towns$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)