Author Topic: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza  (Read 174961 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza
« Reply #585 on: March 26, 2014, 04:26:34 pm »
  No idea what your arguement is,if we help them have a good weekend what is your problem.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #586 on: March 26, 2014, 04:41:41 pm »
  No idea what your arguement is,if we help them have a good weekend what is your problem.

Wrex, I don't have a problem!   Just making my contribution to the discussion on a matter of some local interest.
 ££$

P.s. As usual I probably wont be around to experience the Bank Holiday events in Llandudno.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #587 on: March 26, 2014, 05:19:22 pm »
All im saying Yorkie is what are you on about,we even help small buisnesses make a few grand or we don;t.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #588 on: March 26, 2014, 08:15:15 pm »
All im saying Yorkie is what are you on about,we even help small buisnesses make a few grand or we don;t.

And what I'm saying is not all businesses gain and not all businesses can afford to pay.

This place is supposed to be a holiday resort, even the Queen of Welsh Resorts, so entertainment, and the like should be developed by the Councils along with the Community.   All we have seen in past years are beds spaces disappearing, shops closing, and absolutely zilch entertainment or pleasure facilities being provided, Extravaganza excepted.  Yet CCBC are continually bleeding the local businesses and the ratepayers to finance even worse local services and very little support for us lot.  Even the bloody Libraries are being shut down!
 >>>
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #589 on: March 26, 2014, 08:33:08 pm »
The only buisnesses i would expect to help us is every hotel,guest house,cafe,restaurant,pub and gift shop and if you want to tell me that they all don;t benefit from the extrava then so be it.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #590 on: March 26, 2014, 09:11:56 pm »
The only buisnesses i would expect to help us is every hotel,guest house,cafe,restaurant,pub and gift shop and if you want to tell me that they all don;t benefit from the extrava then so be it.

Got any statistics?    :D
Cicero

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #591 on: March 26, 2014, 10:57:42 pm »
Yorkie is right, apart from the creepy alice project the council do nothing to encourage tourism, we need the theatre to have shows, the beach to be top notch, the gardens to be full of flowers, good lighting, good seating areas, a big wheel , boat trips, and so on........

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #592 on: March 26, 2014, 11:10:37 pm »
I'm never sure whether my little business benefits from the Extravaganza or not.  Because I am equally busy (or not) on the weekends either side of that weekend.    I just know that I enjoy it when I get to take part.
I think it's a great occasion and one which I would be gutted to see come to an end.

The Pier company reckon that we don't benefit really, as most of those walking on the pier do so to avoid spending more in the town, and come on in the late afternoon and evening when they have spent up.  I'm not so sure about that, I can sometimes squeeze a few more bob out of them.

I also bring quite a few family members down for the duration who enjoy it, and spend money (mostly mine) throughout the three days.  So it's quite an expensive but enjoyable time for me.

I don't get much chance to see the attractions, and if I thought that the other local traders were contributing a bit towards it, then so would I..... but I know there are quite deep and mixed feelings amongst them.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #593 on: March 27, 2014, 06:59:13 am »
Observation Yorkie,what do you think the thousands do with their money,let me tell you,eat,drink and sleep.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #594 on: March 27, 2014, 07:20:42 am »
Observation Yorkie,what do you think the thousands do with their money,let me tell you,eat,drink and sleep.

Well, Wrex, all this debate can't do your cause any harm!   ;)
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #595 on: March 27, 2014, 07:35:24 am »
Like our town council Yorkie,you tell them till your blue in the face and they still don;t listen.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #596 on: March 27, 2014, 07:47:51 am »
Hmmm...  Statistics are tricky things. But they are available. 

First: do more people visit during the weekend than a normal weekend? Yes, and the evidence for that is in increased coach numbers, additional train numbers and the money taken by the Transport Festival Car park scheme on Bodafon.

Second: do more people visit during the weekend than any other bank holiday weekend?
That's harder to judge, and you'd need to look at two factors: food and beverage takings for that weekend compared with other BH times and then bed availability - again, as a direct comparison. But the purely empirical evidence has always been from the NW Police service, who have noted in the past that the queues of traffic leaving Llandudno and travelling along the A55 towards Liverpool and Manchester are at their heaviest during the Extravaganza weekend.

Third: are overall takings up in the town during that weekend?
This is the nub of the matter, and the one hardest to prove, because the shops won't release their takings figures. There is anecdotal evidence, such as the fact that places like WH Smith have long argued their takings for the Extravaganza weekend are usually down on even a normal summer weekend, and people have to eat, so the people that don't bring their own butties in a bag have to pay.

Four: what's the overall perception of Llandudno as a destination for a day visitor on that weekend?
I suspect it depends on your particular preferences: it clearly attracts the steam engine fraternity and those who enjoy slightly ropey fairgrounds with their associated crowds and noise. But it almost certainly deters those who are looking for a quiet weekend by the seaside.

There's also the undeniable fact that those visiting only have a certain amount of cash, and between the Transport Festival and the fairgrounds there's a lot of competition for that limited supply.

But where the event scores heavily is in more indefinable ways. It creates an aim, a purpose if you like, for the numbers of volunteers who might otherwise be sitting about with little to do.  They come together throughout the year, at meetings, various strategy sessions and exercises and attempt to create the enthusiasm for the project which clearly so many lack. If it does anything, it demonstrates clearly what a few motivated and dedicated individuals can achieve in the face of, frankly, tremendous odds and rather a lot of naysaying. I suspect that's one of its most valuable assets.

Yorkie is right, apart from the creepy alice project the council do nothing to encourage tourism, we need the theatre to have shows, the beach to be top notch, the gardens to be full of flowers, good lighting, good seating areas, a big wheel , boat trips, and so on........

So what are you doing about it, llewelyn? What projects to improve the town are you a part of? What has been your contribution to improving the Town of Llandudno over this past year? Because that's how long Wrex and Barney have been working to produce the Festival. And if you know of a sure-fire and relatively simple way to fill the theatres, create a world-class beach, renew all the lighting, install a big wheel and ensure a flotilla of boats doing trips around the bay then please tell us all, so we can pass the news to Judith.  I guarantee you it'll be front page news.

CCBC and LTC catch it in the neck for not doing anything all the time, so let's see some of those who complain all the time stand for council.  Yorkie's done it. What about others?

We're all part of the same community and we all want a place that's pleasant to walk around and enjoy in the sunshine. To keep it like that we need the visitors and we need traders who think it's worthwhile investing in the town. The Extravaganza just might help in that regard.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #597 on: March 27, 2014, 09:45:50 am »
Third: are overall takings up in the town during that weekend? [/b]This is the nub of the matter, and the one hardest to prove, because the shops won't release their takings figures. There is anecdotal evidence, such as the fact that places like WH Smith have long argued their takings for the Extravaganza weekend are usually down on even a normal summer weekend, and people have to eat, so the people that don't bring their own butties in a bag have to pay.

My parents once owned a shop in Llandudno.  They took it over as a going concern and were advised by the previous owner not to bother opening when the Extravaganza was on.  The first time around the old man decided to give it a go despite the advice and dragged me along to help him.  We opened up at 8.30am and straight away took £20, thanks to a local coming in early so he could get out of town ASAP.  By lunchtime our sales had risen to about £30 at which point we locked up and went home to save wasting any more time chasing a lost cause.  I can't remember the exact figures now but takings must have been down about £500-600 on an normal Saturday during the tourist season, although they may have made some of that back from their regulars the following week.  I don't believe that my parents would have wanted to see the Extravangza come to an end despite their losses but at the same time I don't think they would have felt any obligation to make a donation over and above what the event was already costing them.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #598 on: March 27, 2014, 02:41:24 pm »
Hairdressers,woolshops,etc are;nt going to make extra and nobody would expect them too contribute,certainly not me.

Offline llandudnotrust

• Management board member
« Reply #599 on: March 27, 2014, 05:18:41 pm »
I allways :( put an advert in the program and I think we got a form in the letterbox last year but you know what its like put it some place and lost it. No reminder and I have come back from Hols (we have to go in the winter) and its all ready been printed !!! last 6 years count for nothing. Disapointed  :(

Must have plenty of customers