Author Topic: Local Characters  (Read 20585 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Local Characters
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 12:04:32 am »
SDQ, welcome to the Forum...

This wrestler... Big Daddy would have kicked his ass...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Yorkie

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 08:57:21 am »
This wrestler... Big Daddy would have kicked his ass...

When he wasn't floored underneath Giant Haystacks! >>>

Offline ed jones

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 08:17:51 pm »
The young lad who fell from the pier girders was a friend of mine, his name was Michael TYRER, we used to get quite a lot of pennies, a few tanners and the occasional half crown, I never had the bottle to do the girders though. Used to spend ages cleaning up the pennies, if I remember rightly we used to boil rhubarb, stick the coins in and leave for an hour or so. Coins would be O.K. but never fancied any rhubarb crumble though.

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 12:05:50 am »
i went to mostyn secondary with michael tyrer and the first class we were in was 2b.the teacher was holy ben,at the time we had old fashioned dual desks and michael sat beside me.he also lived behind me,and it was sad to return to school in the september and find i was sitting alone.my father was very strict and would not let us go were we pleased,if he was not this way the same might have happened to me.i remember his father who used to work in the county club above nat west bank as head waiter his mother was a waitress in one of the local cafes.its a coincidence that i was talking to colin cureton in the legion on saturday night about our time in 2b. and we talked about michael,he also had a younger brother, russel but i dont know if he is still local or moved on

Offline ed jones

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 05:39:52 pm »
My first class was 2b with Holy Ben, I don't remember too much about 2b because I went up to 2a after the first term and got mixed up with a right old bunch, Wyn GRIFFIN, Hayden Green, Richie Evans, Billy CASSIDY, Barry WINFIELD, Peter MILLICAN just to mention a few. I'm still in touch with Richie EVANS.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 12:23:05 pm »
Oh gosh.  Blast from the past!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 04:18:43 pm »
I knew Wyn, Barry, Billy and Peter from my days in Lloyd Street but haven't seen any of them for years. Sadly Hayden died some years ago.

Offline ed jones

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 08:06:45 pm »
Sorry to hear about Haydn, we were in the Ysgol Mostyn Gillespie Cup winning team 1961-62, I placed a photo of the team on the photo gallery. Haydn is fourth from the left, standing next to Jimmy HEATH.
Llechwedd, yes a blast from the past. Are you still in touch with any of the old crew?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 08:22:54 pm »
Sorry to hear about Haydn, we were in the Ysgol Mostyn Gillespie Cup winning team 1961-62, I placed a photo of the team on the photo gallery. Haydn is fourth from the left, standing next to Jimmy HEATH.
Llechwedd, yes a blast from the past. Are you still in touch with any of the old crew?

[smg id=2621]

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 08:30:36 pm »
as they say name them lol  c,mon brian can you name them all

Offline Hugo

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 03:48:35 pm »
I can name some Norman but not all of them. Next to Haydn looks like Simon Hughes, then John Noke.   In the front row from the left are   ? Haslem, Wyn Griffin and Gerry Humphreys but I can't place the others.
Sadly John Noke has also died and both John and Haydn were quite young too.
If this was a colour photo then I think it would be Dave Ginge on the left in the school uniform.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 04:00:31 pm »
Is that the same Gerry Humphreys who went on to play for Everton?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 05:18:33 pm »
Yes and if my memory is correct I think at the time he held the record for the number of Welsh Schoolboy international caps.  I was playing in the same team as Gerry once and he scored about 13 goals!  Always great to have him on your side.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 05:25:50 pm »
tony haslam ,is the other lad in blazer gwyn hughes from deganwy if so he would know them ,know the faces but can,t put a name ,yes bri that is the same gerry humphreys

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 05:57:22 pm »
I may see Gwyn Hughes tomorrow evening and, if so, I will mention the photograph to him.