Author Topic: Local Characters  (Read 20586 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Local Characters
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 06:42:25 pm »
Better still, lads, here they are:

Back Row: (L-R) C: Roberts, E Jones, J Heath, H Green, D Hughes, J Noakes, G Hughes

Front Row: (L-R) A Haslam, W Griffin, G Humphries, G Thomas, R Jarvis,  A Macmullen.

The season was 1961-62.

Offline ed jones

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 07:28:23 pm »
Gerry Humphries was a star player alright, a great outside left, a cracking left foot and couldn't he shift. He went onto play for Everton, then Crystal Palace.  I think he finished his playing days at Crew Alexandra. I watched him play for Everton once against Leicester, Peter RODRIGUES was marking him, poor old Gerry had a few bruses that night I reckon.
  That Gillespie cup winners team was a bit of O K, I don't think we lost a game that season. Gerry, Wyn, Garry THOMAS and my good self also played for Clwyd & Conwy. I only played one game, I think the others played in all the games though.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 02:21:48 pm »
Better still, lads, here they are:

Back Row: (L-R) C: Roberts, E Jones, J Heath, H Green, D Hughes, J Noakes, G Hughes

Front Row: (L-R) A Haslam, W Griffin, G Humphries, G Thomas, R Jarvis,  A Macmullen.

The season was 1961-62.

Wasn't that Dave Ginge   ?   on the far left in school uniform?      If it was a colour photo then I'd know for sure.    ;D

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 04:33:05 pm »
It certainly looks like him.

I wonder if Gwyn Hughes is the other in a school uniform.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 07:52:21 pm »
Bri,  I was a bit shocked to see an obituary in the NWWN for a David William Jones ( Ginger) aged 66.     Do you know if he is the same Dave Ginge who was in the photo of the Football Team?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:52 pm »
Yes, Hugo, I am afraid so and we have also lost Peter Ferguson who played for Llandudno FC and the Amateurs, aged 66 and 68 respectfully.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 10:40:30 pm »
Thanks Bri,  I'm so sorry to hear that.  I grew up with Ginge on the estate and he was a nice lad so it's sad to read about him.
I've just been looking at my 1959 and 1960 John Bright magazines and Peter (Fergie) Ferguson's photo is there in the Under 15 football team.  I didn't know him personally but can remember him being a good footballer.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 11:04:24 pm »
Yes, he certainly was.

I worked with Pete during the late sixties before he became a partner in Gott & Wynne.

That is a coincidence, Hugo, you mentioning the 1959 and 1960 JBGS school mags.

This afternoon, a former pupil now living in Spain e-mailed me asking if I had the 1966 mag and did I know anybody who had any others?

I e-mailed him back saying I actually had the 1961-66 mags still in pristine condition.