Author Topic: Remembrance Sunday 2020  (Read 2042 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Remembrance Sunday 2020
« on: November 08, 2020, 10:07:32 am »
Remembrance Sunday is being marked across Wales, but very differently because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Lockdown rules allow commemorations to take place outside, with a maximum of 30 people attending.

Some areas of Wales have replaced their formal ceremony or service with a video equivalent or individual wreath laying.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-54841725

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Remembrance Sunday 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 11:51:36 am »
Nice that Llandudno was featured during the programme from the Cenotaph.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 12:16:35 pm »
The Queen has led the nation in marking Remembrance Sunday, as people around the UK privately paid their respects at home due to the coronavirus pandemic.

She was joined by family members and the PM at the scaled-back service at the Cenotaph in London's Whitehall.

Social distancing measures were in place and the service was closed off to the public for the first time.

Following a two-minute silence, wreaths were laid by Prince Charles, Prince William and the PM, among others.

Normally, Whitehall is packed with thousands of veterans and members of the military for the commemorations, but on Sunday less than 30 veterans were in attendance.

The Queen, dressed in a black hat and coat, looked on from a balcony at the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office building, as her son, the Prince of Wales, laid a wreath on her behalf.

video......... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54859962

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 12:35:19 pm »
I watched the Remembrance Service on TV this morning and it was very moving and so different because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Watching the people bowing their heads in respect for the sacrifices that so many people made so that we didn't live in a world of tyranny made me feel quite emotional and realise that we are the lucky ones.

What a contrast to the previous day when an attention seeking individual with obvious mental health issues arranged another protest on Llandudno promenade.    Protesting at what?     the wearing of face masks and other restrictions that were intended to protect their lives and those of others too.
They and people who supported the protest should also bow their heads...... but in shame.                 &shake&

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 01:59:20 pm »
Hi Hugo I went to the cenotaph this morning it was very well attended, so sad that the blind veterans and ex service guys couldn't attend because of this virus, hopefully next year will be different,  as for those idiots yesterday that goon should be fined £10k.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 02:38:59 pm »
I'm pleased that you went to the Cenotaph to pay your respects that's the least people can do.      Your Dad and mine both served in the Royal Navy during WW II  and were the lucky ones to return home.
My Dad was just 18 when he was on a minesweeper clearing mines in the Norwegian Fjords so I realise how lucky I am to have the life I have because of the sacrifices people made during the war

Perhaps it's not quite PC but the guy is a nutter and if the Police did fine the idiot £10K then it's no more than he deserves.
You can't have one rule for fining organisers of raves and another for a nutter who organises protests against face masks and lockdowns.
What's his point anyway, the lockdown is over tomorrow!

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 03:02:27 pm »
But the think is he didn't organise the protest, the one who did hasn't been heard since, this idiot came along and took over.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 03:28:42 pm »
If he can't be fined Norman then the kindest thing would be to section him.     Regarding the organiser, can you send me a PM on here as I'd be interested to know more about it seeing that I'm not on FB
That arrest that Steve mentioned yesterday is it the same person who organised the protest?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 03:59:26 pm »
Hugo, yesterday we walked past the bandstand after 3pm thinking by then the 1pm protest would be over.

However, there were still quite a few individuals hanging around hugging one another.

About 100 yards further on we met a couple we both knew walking towards us so we all stopped for a chat with a reasonable social distance between us.

A few minutes later, a small group with a megaphone walked past us and then turned around with one young female deliberately walking through the middle of us.

I have no objection to individuals organising a peaceful protest but I feel there ought to be a new criminal charge introduced for an individual who behaves irresponsibly just like that.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 05:04:57 pm »
Those people are just agitators and will protest at anything and sadly they don't realise how stupid their actions are.     I wonder if that woman was the one that did a video of the loonie speaker in the first meeting?
If you watched the video she sounded just like a Whooping Swan or a raving Banshee.     It's sad but they walk among us and I bet that she doesn't behave like that at the Benefit's Office