Author Topic: Covid-- safe shopping.  (Read 15162 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Covid-- safe shopping.
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2020, 10:15:03 am »
Thanks for the tip Dave,   Mrs H went out early today  for some essential shopping and said that the queues at Morrisons and Tescos were horrendous so she turned around and went to the small Asda in Llandudno Junction instead but still was unable to get the item she wanted.
It may be the Bank Holiday this weekend but no one is going anywhere or at least shouldn't be going anywhere so why the panic?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2020, 11:57:52 am »
Welsh Government has today implemented legislation which temporarily removes the carrier bag levy for home deliveries and click and collect orders of groceries during the coronavirus crisis.

It comes as grocery retailers have seen a surge in demand for online orders over recent weeks.

The legislation sees the bag levy temporarily removed for three months.   ref DP

Offline SteveH

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2020, 10:03:47 am »
B&Q reopens its stores online - how to shop there during UK lockdown

B&Q closed all of its outlets last month in order to work out how to operate during the lockdown.
The government had previously designated hardware stores as “essential” to the economy.

Now - the company has reopened its stores, and has a new way of serving customers.

Here's everything you need to know.            https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18376133.b-q-reopens-stores-online---shop-uk-lockdown/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2020, 02:41:35 pm »
Personally we take deliveries through the garage, and clean and wash or discard packaging, and put straight into the recycling bins, the bins have a "Thank you" and a "disinfected" sign on them. 

Clean your shopping?                                      ref BBC
One question which seems to be getting asked is if you need to clean your food shopping when you get home.

Dr David Bailey, chairman of BMA’s Welsh Council, said there was no definite answer.

"The main thing you should always remember is when you bring your food in, get all of the wrapping and packing that you can possibly off, bin that and wash your hands very, very thoroughly before you do anything else," he said.

"Fruit and fresh produce generally you should try and wash at least in water and the containers you can't discard, ideally you should clean with alcohol wipes."

Offline SteveH

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2020, 10:43:19 am »
Morrisons joins Aldi with new 'quieter' opening times
The retailer, which has introduced social distancing measures outside all of its stores, said branches will be open for longer from today to reduce wait times and make way for "quieter shopping times".

Branches will open at 7am Monday to Saturday - and will close at 8pm each night.
On Sundays, stores will open at 9:30am and close at 4pm.
cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18377652.morrisons-joins-aldi-new-quieter-opening-times/

Next bosses say they will begin selling online again today after putting extra safety measures in place to ensure warehouse staff can work safely.
https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18377614.next-begins-selling-online/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2020, 10:54:13 am »
Seems very sensible..........

new policies to protect people from the spread of coronavirus.
It will mean shoppers will be forbidden from picking up items that they don't intend to buy.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/asda-aldi-shopping-what-you-18122805

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2020, 11:08:09 am »
Not before time. The habits of some people sqeezing food before throwing it back have always been unpleasant, to say the least.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Dave

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2020, 01:44:21 pm »
Not before time. The habits of some people sqeezing food before throwing it back have always been unpleasant, to say the least.

If the item is obviously damaged then you should be able to reject it. Eggs for example, you should always open the box because they are often broken inside.
To be honest though, making rules is one thing, people sticking to them is another.
My last weeks shopping at Aldi had one person ignoring the instructions and trying to walk past everyone until I told him to back off, and was backed up by the person ahead of me too. His excuse was he'd finished his shopping and didn't see why he had to wait for everyone else . We were at the top of the first isle at the time!!!!!!
Home Bargains... nice spaced queue outside but inside a free for all although in fairness the store was almost empty which really should mean no need to enter anyone else space. They did though.
Penrhyn Bay Co-op this morning and a woman just walked past me saying she was in a hurry? Why anyone is really in a hurry to return to lockdown I don't know especially as when she got to the queue to pay she held everyone up by not being ready. Another woman just brushed past me in the check out queue and went around to shop the next isle against the marked flow .
Does this all sound familiar? Of course it does, it's happened to us all no doubt and unfortunately if people can't respect the rules now it's no wonder there is a reluctance to ease the lockdown yet.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2020, 03:49:01 pm »

The woman in front of me in Aldi this morning picked up at least 1/2 doz iceberg lettuces before she chose one, there was a shocking 'trolley jam' building up whilst this was going on. Didn't need one, but wouldn't have fancied one anyway !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Dave

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2020, 04:51:09 pm »
The woman in front of me in Aldi this morning picked up at least 1/2 doz iceberg lettuces before she chose one,

They might have some flavour now!

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2020, 09:19:53 pm »
When I shop, like many others it’s for the week, so I require to know the use by date prior to purchase and can only find out by picking up and sometimes searching through the shelf.   &shake&
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2020, 08:28:09 am »
The woman in front of me in Aldi this morning picked up at least 1/2 doz iceberg lettuces before she chose one,

Surprised how long it takes me to do my shopping with the no passing rule.
Seems some shoppers have to inspect almost every item on the shelves.
Reckon it takes me 3 times as long as normal. Shopping $cofffee$ getting to be a day out now !!!!

Offline Dave

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2020, 09:46:15 am »

Surprised how long it takes me to do my shopping with the no passing rule.
Seems some shoppers have to inspect almost every item on the shelves.
Reckon it takes me 3 times as long as normal. Shopping $cofffee$ getting to be a day out now !!!!

Makes a change from being in lockdown at home though!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:24:49 am by Ian »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2020, 10:11:18 am »
People have long memories.........................   &shake&

North Wales Spar defends selling hand sanitiser at nearly £13 a bottle as its 'cheaper than Amazon'
The Rhos-on-Sea store said it was 'just meeting a supply and demand'
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/north-wales-spar-defends-selling-18132837

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2020, 10:22:19 am »
My local chemist is selling hand sanitiser at a price of £3.99 for 50ml.

Compared to Spar that works out at £39.90 for 500ml.