Author Topic: Covid restrictions enforcement  (Read 88171 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Covid restrictions enforcement
« Reply #180 on: May 27, 2020, 06:54:52 pm »
I doubt any action would be taken, since under the Race Relations Act 1965 the Welsh are not considered a "minority under threat".  However, in 1988 Denbighshire CC was taken to court under the act for requiring a social worker to be able to speak Welsh.  The judgement favoured the complainant. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #181 on: May 27, 2020, 11:40:44 pm »
A poll shown on BBC Newsnight on Wednesday, and also on the ITV Peston show, illustrates that sixty five percent of people now believe that the Covid 19 enforcement measures are weakened and undermined by the actions of Dominic Cummings, and will be difficult to support from now on.

The effect of this man’s actions is going to have far reaching and dire consequences.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: May 28, 2020, 09:42:48 am »
Even more interesting is why he's not yet been fired...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #183 on: May 28, 2020, 10:44:10 am »
A poll shown on BBC Newsnight on Wednesday, and also on the ITV Peston show, illustrates that sixty five percent of people now believe that the Covid 19 enforcement measures are weakened and undermined by the actions of Dominic Cummings, and will be difficult to support from now on.
The effect of this man’s actions is going to have far reaching and dire consequences.
Hi Fester, His timing wasn't great, a country on lockdown for months, and the easing of restrictions, a ticking time bomb, as you say, dire.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #184 on: May 28, 2020, 11:38:50 am »

Hi Fester, good to hear from you and hope that you are keeping safe and well in this present situation.
Quite honestly I am surprised how low that opinion poll was,   Cummings has undermined everything that has been done so far by the majority of the people.   His actions by going to Durham are debatable to say the least but the 30 mile drive to the Castle are indefensible    Driving while your vision is impaired is not only illegal it's just stupid and he broke the lockdown rules  in making that journey too.   The fact that it was his wife's birthday just makes the situation stink

Offline SteveH

« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2020, 02:06:43 pm »
Plenty of social distancing, but it is the busiest I have seen for awhile.

Offline Hugo

Offline Hugo

« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2020, 09:24:40 am »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2020, 10:05:23 am »
Police send tourists back home

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/police-send-packing-tourists-north-18326755

I don't know if it will make a difference, but the story is in the Liverpool Echo this morning, maybe that will help a little.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/police-send-liverpool-day-trippers-18328377

Offline Hugo

Offline SteveH

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2020, 12:31:51 am »
Hi Ian, Hugo, et al...
I’m fine thanks, safe and well during these strange times.
You ask why Cummings wasn’t sacked for his deplorable conduct?
Well, from what I can gather, he and Boris have too much dirt on each other.
Each can cause irreparable damage to the other is so minded.
For example, it has been said that while Boris worked with Cummings wife, before they married, Boris exposed himself to her in the office environment. Similarly Carrie Symonds (soon to be Boris’s third wife), has some murky dealings with Cummings wife during their time together working on The Spectator.
It’s all very incestuous, unsavoury and unhealthy for our democracy.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DVT

« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2020, 08:06:21 am »
... but is that relevant to today's situation - NO

... regardless of whether or not you like those in charge of the country or what they have done or said in the past it should not get in the way of the task in hand ... which is to deal with coronavirus.

... if you want to take anyone to task then aim your sights at the media with all their stirring ... how many would have complained about Cummings if the media, social or mainstream, hadn't hyped things so much and generated all the ill feeling?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2020, 11:06:16 am »
Without the detailed media coverage we'd have known nothing about Cummings;  that's true, but I wonder if we're dismissing the advantages of a free press too quickly?

I agree that the first priority is sorting out the mess that has been created by those in charge ignoring repeated warnings about the pandemic. We are now officially the worst-served country in the world, going by deaths per million. Which seems odd, given we're one of the most advanced and the fifth major economy.

The point about a free press, however, is that it's a double-edged sword; it will do a lot of things we dislike and, by use of hints and innuendo, it will often convey misleading impressions on purpose.

But in a notionally free society, it will also uncover behaviours on the part of those making policy which seem to suggest those same people don't believe the rules should apply to them.

For example, it seems Cummings is not above lying, which could have serious consequences for all of us, if he's almost running the country.

So the decision we're all left with is whether we are happy to have the country effectively run by a known liar, by someone who believes the rules don't apply to him, or whether we'd be better off without a free press and proceeding happily towards the grave, knowing nothing about who was making the major decisions on which all our lives depend.

Personally, I'm not.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #194 on: May 30, 2020, 12:01:54 pm »
It's not a case of whether we like the people in charge of the country or not, we live in a democracy and as such expect those people who lead us  to be beyond corruption.
It's not being unrealistic to expect those people to be honest and have integrity in the true meaning of the word.

The Government has given us a guideline to prevent and control the spread of the virus and it is our duty to adhere to that,   I know that you have abided  by the rules DVT and so have I but there is no excuse for what Cummings has done.     He's a liar and it's as simple as that and for a man in his position to say that he can'r remember whether or not  he stopped for petrol on the return journey is unbelievable.

I do criticise the press too but only because they never asked the questions "why didn't your wife drive"  or "had the Durham Police  checked the tracker on Cummings' car to check his story"
I don't know if there is any truth in the story Fester has mentioned but I have also heard that story a number of times and feel that there is more to come on both Cummings and on Boris too
I cannot understand why England has given unrestricted access for drivers whereas the other Home Nations have been more restrictive in the movement of people, perhaps it's to soften people's attitude to Cummings' action?