Author Topic: Covid 19  (Read 70242 times)

Offline Dave

Re: Covid 19
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2020, 03:22:56 pm »
Breaking news out of Brisbane, Australia (where I live).

Brisbane researchers say they are within reach of finding a cure for COVID-19 but need donations to accelerate the research.
In lab testing, two drugs have stopped Coronavirus in its tracks and a clinical trial on humans is ready to begin.

Renowned RBWH Infectious Diseases Physician Professor David Paterson who is overseeing the research said the drugs are “effective” but they are yet to determine whether “one is better than another”.

He’s hoping these drugs are the panacea the world so desperately needs. “Potentially down the road, it’s even something a general practitioner could prescribe,” Paterson said.

Safe for use

Both medications are safe for use in Australia, one treats malaria, the other HIV and in test tube studies both effectively kill the virus.
The drugs have already been given to patients infected with COVID-19 abroad and on home soil with promising results.
When asked how close we are to a cure, Paterson said there is “potential” that this drug “could cure the infection”.

But without human trials, these drugs can’t be administered with any certainty.
“We are going to coordinate with hospitals in NSW and Victoria so that we can all work on a common protocol to get the answers as quickly as possible,” Paterson said.

Funding

If the trial is successful, within three months researchers should know whether these drugs are effective in treating COVID-19.
The trial can begin within weeks but researchers need $750,000 to fund it.

If the drugs are already available and they are safe to use ( for other reasons)I can't see where the $750,000 is needed to run a trial . With nothing else currently available why not just dose up on one of these and hope for the best?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2020, 03:36:24 pm »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2020, 06:46:04 am »
If the drugs are already available and they are safe to use ( for other reasons)I can't see where the $750,000 is needed to run a trial . With nothing else currently available why not just dose up on one of these and hope for the best?

The study was to involve researchers from other states, so I assume the money is to cover their costs along with the cost of the drugs etc. But I agree that if I caught this virus I would be looking at taking one or both of these.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2020, 12:26:15 pm »
TWELVE new positive cases confirmed for Novel Coronavirus as of Tuesday morning.

The total number of confirmed cases in Wales has now risen to 136 but there are no new cases in North Wales.

Dr Giri Shankar Incident Director for the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak response at Public Health Wales, said: “We can confirm that 12 new cases have tested positive for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Wales, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 136.

“As we are currently only testing within hospitals, this is likely to underestimate the true number of cases.”

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18311020.number-coronavirus-cases-wales-rise-12-bringing-total-136/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2020, 02:33:41 pm »
Coronavirus patients are being warned against taking Ibuprofen amid fears it can make symptoms worse.

The NHS has now issued new advice urging people suspected of having the deadly illness to take paracetamol.

Just yesterday, its official website named Ibuprofen as one of the "everyday" painkillers that could help fight off a fever and cough.

But now doctors warned that in can make symptoms of Covid-19 worse by dampening the immune system, slowing recovery, as well as aggravating pneumonia symptoms.

French Health Minister Olivier Véran prompted questions over the NHS advice when he said anti-inflammatories could "aggravate the infection."

cont   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/nhs-issues-new-advice-taking-17938540

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2020, 03:03:43 pm »
Oh, yes;  thanks for that, Steve. This is very important. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory, but inflammation is the normal immune response, so taking Ibuprofen can actually prolong the illness.

Pity NHS England didn't bother thinking that through before posting it as advice.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline spotty dog

• Management board member
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2020, 04:33:25 pm »
Hi Ian letter from China
Things here are getting a little serious again. Because of the back flow of cases into China from overseas, everyone (Chinese and non Chinese) returning to our city from overseas is now being quarantined. This is being backdated to include people who entered in the last 14 days., and people are being visited at home and taken away to a hotel. I would assume this is also national.
This is proactivity in the real.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2020, 05:06:55 pm »
Thanks for the update, SD; China seems to have responded very well, along with S Korea.   Are you and yours okay?

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2020, 05:23:06 pm »
We are fine thanks Ian long early morning walks with the dogs on the hill helps fill the day.
Due surgery soon so hopefully get it done before hospital's go into emergency only

Offline SteveH

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2020, 05:40:15 pm »
I have been caught up in my bubble for a while now, so had not thought about this subject, but it does raise a lot of serious questions.

Second home owners urged to stay away from North Wales during coronavirus outbreak, fears of a population influx will overwhelm GP surgeries and local NHS services.

Mrs Saville Roberts said: "Surely now is the time for the Welsh Government to release a directive as a matter of urgency to those people planning on travelling to their holiday home or caravan advising them to remain at their principal residence?

"I am extremely concerned at reports of a substantial increase in the population of areas in Pen Llŷn since last weekend, with holiday homes which are usually empty at this time of year now being occupied."

"The population churn, whereby the population of Dwyfor may increase threefold poses a risk in Wales, which - with around five intensive care beds per 100,000 people – is under greater potential pressure than health services in England.   cont   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/second-home-owners-urged-stay-17939545

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2020, 06:35:17 pm »
Covid19
I have last one of brood at university they have stopped all lectures face to face and now do all on line.
But have recommended students remain in hall's,this is costing £130.00 a week and unite and university joint landlord won't allow early termination.
We are hoping Boris statement tonight will help .The oh is on the case let's see what happens

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2020, 06:38:56 pm »
Amazon BANS sellers shipping non-essential items to its warehouses and will prioritize food, diapers, household cleaning products, and pet and medical supplies as it tries to handle HUGE surge in online orders amid coronavirus panic

Offline SteveH

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2020, 07:16:21 pm »
Chancellor Rishi Sunak says homeowners impacted financially by the coronavirus crisis will get a three month mortgage holiday.

He said the three month break in mortgage payments would be for those missing out on wages because they have had to go into quarantine or impacted another way by the deadly virus.

At a press conference this afternoon the Chancellor also set aside £330 billion of government guaranteed loans for struggling businesses – the equivalent of 15% of GDP.    cont   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mortgage-holiday-thousands-homeowners-impacted-17940575

Mr Sunak announced:

A package of £330bn of loan guarantees to businesses
Interest-free business interruption loans will be increased to £5m
A 12-month business rates holiday for all shops, pubs, theatres, music venues and restaurants
A cash grant of up to £25,000 for those businesses with a rateable value of less than £51,000
A three-month mortgage holiday for those in difficulty because of coronavirus

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2020, 08:39:21 pm »
What about those renting, I wonder?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2020, 10:34:13 am »
On a lighter note, I read that Tom Hanks and his wife have been given the all clear, from the virus, which is just as well, considering the list below, there would not be much chance for the rest of us.

He survived 4 years on an island as a castaway
He spent a year in an airport without being able to leave
Caught AIDS in Philadelphia
He was in World War II and rescued Private Ryan;
He went to Vietnam and rescued Lieutenant Dan
Was on a boat kidnapped by Somali pirates
survived Apollo 13 trying to reach the Moon
Landed a Boeing on the Hudson          ;)