Author Topic: Covid 19  (Read 70260 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Covid 19
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2020, 03:19:23 pm »
... fine if the germs are made of pepper !!!!

... on a more serious note, how about today's announcement that all of you/us who are over 70 have to stay indoors ?

... how long for, I wonder - at least I should have the time to sort my garage out !!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2020, 03:25:22 pm »
They're suggesting it will be about four months. If you live  in the wilds, it'll be fine to go for long, bracing walks, as you're unlikely to meet folk and become infected. It's aimed mainly at those who live in urban areas and flats.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2020, 03:35:17 pm »
author=DVT link=topic=4351.msg111963#msg111963 date=1584285563]
... fine if the germs are made of pepper !!!!

... on a more serious note, how about today's announcement that all of you/us who are over 70 have to stay indoors ?

... how long for, I wonder - at least I should have the time to sort my garage out !!

DVT  I beat them to it...................  Ian ...Long bracing walks..........   :o

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2020, 04:31:30 pm »
We were due to go on a cruise next month to celebrate a special birthday but overnight it was cancelled.

We had planned to do something similar 10 years ago but then it was an Icelandic ash cloud that ruined it.

I won’t bother making any plans for my next big one as I will more than happy just to get there.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2020, 04:36:16 pm »
Could be third time Lucky  ;)

Offline DVT

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2020, 04:47:31 pm »
I wonder how it'll work with the "over 70" idea ... I stay indoors so as not to catch the virus, my wife can go out and bring it back !!! 

Offline SteveH

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2020, 05:30:36 pm »
I wonder how it'll work with the "over 70" idea ... I stay indoors so as not to catch the virus, my wife can go out and bring it back !!!

That's what we are having to do, not the "bring it back part ! !" it is the lesser of two evils for us, but we have a decontamination routine, on her return, a bit OTT but necessary.

Update
All three of North Wales' Covid-19 test centres have closed.

The units - opened at Bryn y Neuadd Hospital in Llanfairfechan , Ysbyty Alltwen in Porthmadog and the Rossett Clinic on Chapel Lane in Wrexham - carried out its last tests on Friday (March 13).

The decision to close the testing centres was taken as part of a UK Government strategy as the nation moves into the "delay phase" in a bid to tackle the spread of coronavirus .  ref DP

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2020, 05:48:17 pm »
we have a decontamination routine, on her return, a bit OTT but necessary.

Actually, I don't believe it is. Routine is good, since the brain works best when it's learnt something thoroughly and Covid's main property is exceptional infectivity. Most of it is via touch: lift buttons, trolley handles, doors and so on, and the best approach in those instances is to wear gloves. If you wear gloves it has a three-fold protection: no skin area to contaminate, you're unlikely to touch your face with gloves on and you can remove the gloves when back in the car, drive home, then enter the house with whatever routine you have in place. 

We have  an industrial size alcohol gel at the entry door, which allows us to do a 'pre-clean', prior to taking off outer garments and heading straight to the bathrooms for soap and water.  The gel isn't that effective, but it's better than nothing.  Did consider using the garage sink and washing thoroughly in soap and water before even entering the house.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2020, 10:42:22 pm »
Breaking news out of Brisbane, Australia (where I live).

Brisbane researchers say they are within reach of finding a cure for COVID-19 but need donations to accelerate the research.
In lab testing, two drugs have stopped Coronavirus in its tracks and a clinical trial on humans is ready to begin.

Renowned RBWH Infectious Diseases Physician Professor David Paterson who is overseeing the research said the drugs are “effective” but they are yet to determine whether “one is better than another”.

He’s hoping these drugs are the panacea the world so desperately needs. “Potentially down the road, it’s even something a general practitioner could prescribe,” Paterson said.

Safe for use

Both medications are safe for use in Australia, one treats malaria, the other HIV and in test tube studies both effectively kill the virus.
The drugs have already been given to patients infected with COVID-19 abroad and on home soil with promising results.
When asked how close we are to a cure, Paterson said there is “potential” that this drug “could cure the infection”.

But without human trials, these drugs can’t be administered with any certainty.
“We are going to coordinate with hospitals in NSW and Victoria so that we can all work on a common protocol to get the answers as quickly as possible,” Paterson said.

Funding

If the trial is successful, within three months researchers should know whether these drugs are effective in treating COVID-19.
The trial can begin within weeks but researchers need $750,000 to fund it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2020, 07:53:12 am »
Both these drugs already exist, too, which means getting them out to the general population won't be a major issue.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2020, 08:44:39 am »
Which is why I cannot understand the lack of government support. I mean, come on, $750,000 to provide an effective cure for Conovid19 should be a no brainer. It appears our PM ScoMo (Scot Morrison) has gone in to SloMo. I hope the opposition has enough foresight to push for this funding (Pant! Pant! - That's me not holding my breath).

I suspect that it will come down to Crowd Funding to get this study under way. Very sad!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2020, 10:18:19 am »
Latest from BBC news.......

People who think they may have contracted the coronavirus no longer need to call NHS 111 in Wales.

Public Health Wales (PHW) is advising those with a fever or a new persistent cough to self-isolate for seven days.

It said those people should not to attend a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital and only contact NHS 111 if they "cannot cope" with the symptoms at home or their condition worsens.

"Instead, anyone who has a high temperature or a new continuous cough should stay at home for seven days.

"They should only contact NHS 111 if they feel they cannot cope with their symptoms at home, their condition gets worse, or their symptoms do not get better after seven days."     cont     https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51899162

and strangely on Pioneer news....
9:59am
Snooker goes ahead in Llandudno

Despite elite sport fixtures and events being wiped out by the coronavirus outbreak, snooker's Coral Tour Championship event in Llandudno which starts tomorrow WILL go ahead.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2020, 10:36:59 am »
Oh, good! A nice indoor event, with everyone breathing, coughing and sneezing in an enclosed space.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2020, 10:41:02 am »
Which is why I cannot understand the lack of government support. I mean, come on, $750,000 to provide an effective cure for Conovid19 should be a no brainer. It appears our PM ScoMo (Scot Morrison) has gone in to SloMo. I hope the opposition has enough foresight to push for this funding (Pant! Pant! - That's me not holding my breath).

I suspect that it will come down to Crowd Funding to get this study under way. Very sad!

It might be in part because the same effort is being made world wide at the moment:

"Leading the pack is remdesivir, an experimental antiviral drug now undergoing large trials in patients in China and the US, including 13 people who were on the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

It is hoped that the drug, which failed in trials against Ebola in 2014 but passed safety tests, can stop the covid-19 virus replicating by blocking a crucial enzyme. Its maker, US firm Gilead Sciences, is building manufacturing facilities ahead of trial results in April.

Trials are also planned for kaletra, a combination of two anti-HIV drugs that stops viral replication and has reportedly worked on covid-19 in China.

Chloroquine, an antimalarial drug that most malaria now resists, might also hold promise. Studies suggest that it stops the related SARS virus replicating and invading cells, and that it works against the covid-19 virus. Treatment guidelines in China now recommend two 500 milligram doses daily.

Another approach is to use proteins called monoclonal antibodies that target specific viruses for destruction by the immune system. Vir Biotechnology in the US has made monoclonal antibodies for the covid-19 virus for an experimental diagnostic test. It now plans, with Chinese firm WuXi Biologics, to test them as a treatment. US firm Regeneron is brewing similar antibodies.

A team at Imperial College London has used artificial intelligence to assess approved drugs for promising candidates, and identified a rheumatoid arthritis drug, baricitinib (The Lancet, doi.org/dph5). This blocks the pathway the covid-19 virus uses to invade cells, as well as interfering with interleukin-6, the signalling molecule that triggers the lethal runaway immune response that can kill in severe cases. An antibody called tocilizumab is already being used in China to block interleukin-6 in people with covid-19.

For people who don’t catch the virus during this outbreak – and future generations – a vaccine will be needed. French firm Sanofi is working on hybridising the covid-19 virus with a harmless baculovirus already approved for its flu vaccine, which it can make in mass quantities to test if it works as a covid-19 vaccine.

The Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) is backing several other drug candidates. It was launched in 2017 by the Gates Foundation and several governments to develop vaccines for new diseases. “We were set up to respond to exactly this situation,” says spokesperson Jodie Rogers.

CEPI plans to have at least one vaccine in human trials by May. If trials succeed, it plans to make “hundreds of millions of doses available” by early 2021.

This week, CEPI announced that it would back a vaccine developed by the University of Oxford that is made of Vaccinia virus, once used in smallpox vaccine, carrying an external spike protein from covid-19. The group will also support a vaccine from US firm Novavax made of “nanoparticles” of the spike protein plus an immune-stimulating chemical.

CEPI has already launched four other covid-19 projects. US firm Inovio had been working on a DNA vaccine for the related MERS virus, and says it had one for covid-19 just 3 hours after the gene sequence for the virus was published on 10 January. It plans clinical trials in April and to have a million doses by December, if the approach works.

DNA vaccines are rings of genetic material that enter our cells and make viral proteins that induce immunity. However, they have never been approved for humans for fear they might affect our own genes or induce damaging immune reactions.

Messenger RNA vaccines don’t pose the same problems. CEPI is backing one from CureVac in Germany and another from Moderna in the US, which recently made enough vaccine for human safety trials in the record time of 42 days.

Supporters say that DNA or RNA vaccines, unlike some conventional vaccines, can’t cause disease, are stable, cheap to mass-produce and effective in small doses – all boons in a pandemic emergency. By the time they are fully tested, however, covid-19 may no longer be an emergency. It may even be hard to find test subjects not already immune.

The coalition is also supporting more conventional vaccines, including a process to make viral proteins from the University of Queensland, Australia, and a viral protein vaccine from China’s Clover Biopharmaceuticals plus an immune-boosting additive from British firm GSK. A further 48 proposals are still being considered."

So there's a lot going on.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2020, 01:57:30 pm »
Still only one case in Conwy.          Unfortunately the Wrexham patient has died.

Second phase of the government's response.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Coronavirus: US volunteers to test first vaccine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51906604

Coronavirus: What do you need to do to self-isolate?
https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18308393.coronavirus-need-self-isolate/