Author Topic: Looking for People  (Read 14225 times)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: Looking for People
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 11:08:50 am »
I think it would be great if you could do that, because people with research interests may only visit the site a few times to find out what they want but  that information is then there for others to look at at any time, and like the old forum it  will eventually  become  a mine of information that can be added to at any time.

i would love to be able to unearth old threads such as the "snippets"  one *&(

We could also become a first port of call for anyone with specific queries. You can see by the Genealogy threads that people very often get the answers they need from forum members, especially Hugo who will go to the archives to do lookups. That's invaluable for those who live far away.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 11:22:56 am »
Okay;  that sounds like a good way forward.  I'll talk to Dave, and probably what will happen is that we'll create a section of the man site specifically for the old forum database, which anyone can browse without having to visit this forum.  If we include links there, they'll also be directed to us in here if they need more details.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 11:57:25 am »
Thank you for all your hard work Ian - and Dave ££$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 12:43:33 pm »
Ta!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 06:03:47 pm »
Yes,  $thanx$

Y^^Y

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 03:31:32 pm »
 >>> Hello people. Got this from Clive:
I think the boy next to me is Brian Jarvis.  However, Di said that Brian Hughes wouldn't have forgotten someone with the same first name as him so now I'm wondering if it's Graham Jarvis, and also whether Brian just omitted him accidentally.

Could you please ask Brian about this, and I'm also wondering where he lives because I'd really like to make contact with him now I'm back in the area.

Don't know why Clive doesn't come on here himself now (he's a current GlanConwyite) but I'm happy to be an envoy.  $lol$
Micox

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 11:37:58 am »
Hi Mike,

I'm afraid that it is so long ago I cannot put a name to the boy standing between Clive and Jeff Hansen and that is why I put a  ?  there.
The name Graham Jarvis seems vaguely familiar but not Brian Jarvis but I just cannot remember. We were in Form 3 so it's more likely to be about 55 years ago not 54 as I put before.
I've also had doubts about the third boy from the left in the middle row. At first I was convinced that it was Ian Mellor but looking at the photo again he reminds me of Roger Marsden who I was in class with at one time when I was in Lloyd Street.
Roger's  parents had Marsden's Sweet Shop in Madoc Street and Clive would know whether it was Roger or Ian.
All the others I've named are correct though.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 12:22:06 am »
Talking of looking for people... are they still looking for the landlord of Y Bont pub in Conwy?  That went very quiet?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 08:09:32 am »
Talking of looking for people... are they still looking for the landlord of Y Bont pub in Conwy?  That went very quiet?
Yes, what happened with that?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 11:48:40 pm »
A curtain of silence has descended on the subject.  Most odd.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 10:14:54 am »
Nobody in Conwy has heard anything either.  He's still missing.  The Bridge now has a new Landlord.  I couldn't understand why people who went missing in South Wales got a mention on the news but not Justin?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline tonyf

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 08:37:41 pm »
 Z**I tried this in the old forum just before it switched to the current format without a result, so here goes again. Does anybody have any info on the following people:
 1. E D Jones (Eddie) aged 64. Lived in Ty Isa Road. His brother sold fish etc from a cart, his father was 'Ted' a boatman who died on the promenade where his memorial stands. I joined the Navy with Eddie, after his service he was a PC in the Shrewsbury area. I do know his Dad remarried and Eddie inherited some sisters.
 2. Paul and Ian Bothom, Paul worked as an electrician with Tommy Hughes early 60s. His brother (my pal) worked as an apprentice book binder in Conway. He emigrated to Oz on his own aged 16 as a £10 pom. His best mate Tommy Atherton was supposed to follow him after he'd finished his plumbing apprenticeship. did he? Their Dad was the manager of Woolworths early 60s.
 3. Finally, Billy Baskerville. His Dad was the Landlord of the Carlton early 60s. They moved to Manchester 1963. Billy also joined the Navy at a later date.
If you have any info it will be much appreciated. This may start a new thread of all the boys and girls that left Llandudno to see the world without paying!!! As the recruiting sergeant (Royal Marine) said to me ' we always get good lads from Llandudno' Thanks everyone!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 11:09:00 am »
I knew all of the people you have mentioned Tony but I'm afraid that I can't help you with locating them.  I last saw Ian Botham riding his motor bike down Conway Road with no crash helmet on. (not compulsory in those days) so he must have gone to Oz soon after that.
I was thinking of going there to play football and work for the club but when I found out that my friend Ray Breeze had been conscripted into the Australian Army and drafted into the Vietnamese war I soon changed my mind about going.
I suppose Ian would have been conscripted into the Army too.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 02:30:37 pm »
Hello tonyf.

>>> Going round in circles. Eddie's father must have been Ted Jones 'R ogo. of whom there was screeds of information on the forum at one time. Ted's son Johnny was also a fisherman well known on the prom. This Jones family was really a whole tribe (or two) which originated in mid wales - Llanwyddelan (Anne Jones, Ted's Nain); Llanfair Caereinion (John Jones, Ted's Taid). They migrated from Welshpool to Llandudno in the mid 1870s. Ted's mother was Miriam 'R ogo - famed in the annals of Llandudno and a whole book in herself.

However, of Eddie I have no idea.  :rage:
Micox