Author Topic: Looking for People  (Read 14057 times)

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
Looking for People
« on: March 06, 2011, 08:23:54 pm »
 $walesflag$Looking for Brian. Back in the old days when we had a valuably informative forum, there was a school photo (Lloyd Street, Llandudno). On that photo were a couple of good mates, Brian and Clive Sweet. Now Clive and his wife are working on an art project based on the photo and Clive has asked me if I can get Brian's address because he wants to get in touch with him to ask him if he knows the names of the rest of the youngsters in that photo.

Can anyone please help?

Heddwch.

Mike.  $thanx$
Micox

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Looking for People
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 08:49:49 pm »
Back in the old days when we had a valuably informative forum,

Sorry?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:44:57 pm »
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=345;preview

would it be this photo which is on page three of the "People" album  on the photo gallery ?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:51:22 pm by suepp »

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 02:29:42 pm »

Thanks Suepp

Yes, that's the one.
Micox

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 05:58:30 pm »
 ))* So can anyone please tell me how to contact 'Brian?'  $thanx$
Micox

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 06:05:16 pm »
If only you'd looked in the Photo Gallery first, Micox.....  ;)
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=media

Is not Brian the forum member known as Hugo or is this a different Brian?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:19:01 pm by DaveR »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:52:24 am »

In the meantime, I wonder if you could expand on exactly what you meant by that, Micox?  D'you feel the current forum is in some way inadequate, perhaps?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 08:32:58 am »
Hi Mike, it's such a long time since those days (about 54 years  :o ) but these are the names of the people in the photo that I can remember. Those that I can't remember either their full name or surname I have put as a question mark.
Back Row left to right
Headmaster Mr Williams, Anthony Wood, Elwyn Williams, Brian Roberts, Barry Gartside, Peter Millican, Billy Cassidy, Brian Hughes, Stuart Fenton, Brian Melia, John Priddle, Kenny Cooper, Form teacher Mrs Edwards.
Middle row left to right
Trevor Williams, Wyn Griffin, Ian Mellor (?), Graham Bullen, Donald ? , Margaret Conway, Cynthia Pritchard, Peter Griffiths, Barry Winfield, Jeff Hansen,  ?   ,Clive Sweet.
Front row left to right
Margaret Lewis,  ?   , Pat McKewan, Susan Noble,   ?   , Pat Williams, Angela Jones, Janice Morton, Catherine Bailey, Sheila Brown.
Sitting in front left to right
Howard Sutcliffe, Ian Gadd, Alun Jones.
Hope that this helps Clive with his project.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:20:55 pm by Hugo »

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 04:10:53 pm »
 $thanx$ Hugo/Brian!

Why I said this:
is because the old forum was full of information that could be invaluable to the recording of any social histories which focus on the common people as distinct from the majority which only record events and personalities to do with the elite. One obvious example was the 'where are they now' list of characters who were an indispensable part of Llandudno history.

While I fully understand that no one here is culpable for the loss of all that information, the new forum, while being a good forum, bears no comparison.

Respectfully.

Mike. $3towns$ 
Micox

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 04:26:10 pm »
Mike,    I've modified my list as I cannot remember the lad to the left (on photo ) of Clive and missed it out when I did the list.   I remember him well but his name escapes me for now!
Another senior moment I'm afraid.   :-[

Offline Trojan

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 04:31:54 am »
One obvious example was the 'where are they now' list of characters who were an indispensable part of Llandudno history

Perhaps Dave or Ian could transfer the thread over from the old forum?

The Celestial City thread that Mike started.....would that be transferable too?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 08:28:15 am »
While I fully understand that no one here is culpable for the loss of all that information, the new forum, while being a good forum, bears no comparison.

We do have access to all the old forum threads that were not hacked / burned / destroyed / lost or other wise sabotaged, Micox, so we can always trawl them for what you might want. However, this forum was not established primarily as a research tool for historians and social history aficionados, but rather as a meeting place for anyone who has an interest in the area, and what it becomes and how it develops is entirely in the hands of the members. 

No doubt you can contribute a lot, since you presumably have both an interest in the topic and a lot of information that you garnered from the previous forum?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 08:33:36 am »
The problem is that threads aren't stored as threads in the old Forum database - if they were, it would be easy to move them over. Posts are stored individually in one massive list and only a numeric reference is made to the thread it is in, it's a horrendous task to find anything even when using a search function. I'll happily post the entire list of old posts if someone wants to pick through it and pull out interesting bits.

Yorkie

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 10:02:53 am »
Is it worth using the bandwidth?   You'll finish up like the Encyclopaedia Brittanica!   L0L

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 10:44:48 am »
We have unlimited bandwidth, so that's not the problem. It's backup and loading that will eventually prove slower than many might like if we were to reproduce absolutely everything from the old forum. And, truth be told, I'm not sure there's sufficient demand for it. It's going to take Dave a lot of time today to upload what he is, and how many will really read what he's taken the trouble to transfer?  My own thoughts are moving toward the idea of storing all the old material elsewhere on the site, so those with a real interest can ferret about, but keep it separate from this forum.