Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 374061 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #270 on: January 05, 2012, 08:37:44 am »
Wow-- the sand shown on the actual road wasn't there towards lunchtime yesterday, so all that lot must have blown across during the afternoon.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #271 on: January 05, 2012, 01:29:32 pm »
The reports of 90mph winds in the Conwy area won't help the West Shore. It was still bad when I was there this morning and apart from the damage above ground, there is the hidden damage below with the drains.
How bad can it get before CCBC does something positive about it.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2012, 01:33:00 pm »
It was never like that when I was a kid.

What has changed ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2012, 02:03:05 pm »
I've never seen the sand as bad as it is now at west shore. The beach level has obviously risen so far that sand just blows straight over onto the grass and beyond. Its a problem that is only going to get worse and worse without major work.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #274 on: January 05, 2012, 02:15:10 pm »
Its the greater incidence of high winds, I tell you!    aaa.gif aaa.gif

Ignore climate change at your peril.   Z@@
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline martin

« Reply #275 on: January 05, 2012, 03:13:09 pm »
I had a drive down there this morning, what a mess, and what a cost to clean it up, let alone the cost of the work that now needs to be done to help prevent this happening in the future.  Although, with the way funding is, I don't suppose there will be any cash available for the work.  I pity those living on the "front line", their windows will be rendered opaque if this continues, as for cars parked on the roads and driveways, the sand blasting will, I assume, remove the paintwork.  I suppose we could all go down there on a Sunday morning shovels in hand and chop a few yards off the breakwater thingy that appears to be the cause of the sand build up.  Any volunteers? _))*

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #276 on: January 05, 2012, 03:17:06 pm »
Set off this morning to walk the dog to West shore and back. Got as far as The Clontarf and had to turn left. Couldn't see anything but flying sand, both dog and I were blinded by it. Expected a couple of camels any minute!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #277 on: January 05, 2012, 05:11:32 pm »
Conwy County Borough Council : Deganwy and West Shore http://bit.ly/wNcd1

However beach levels continued to fall and exposure conditions increased, requiring major coastal defence works in 1992 consisting of three shore-connected rock breakwaters and cobble beach nourishment.  The upper beach - with movement restricted by the breakwaters - is now effectively providing primary coastal defence across the West Shore frontage. [/i]

I'm not an engineer or anything like that but if my house was getting undermined then the last thing I'd think of was stacking a pile of rocks against it.  The problem needed to be sorted out properly and not just a quick fix.  The breakwater in Rhos has helped the village a lot because I can remember all the flooding they had there but the breakwater is not linked to the shore in the way that they did at the West Shore.   

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: January 06, 2012, 06:42:25 pm »
Incidentally, Fester and I were looking at the White Rabbit Statue yesterday and it is in a terrible state. The frog is missing completely, the squirrel is damaged, the white rabbit is missing both a paw and an ear. How pointless is the steel cage surrounding it? You can also now walk right up to it, thanks to the sand! Time to forget all these ridiculous ideas about putting it in the middle of the lake where it would be practically invisible as it is so small, get it repaired and stick it in the foyer of the Library.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #279 on: January 06, 2012, 07:36:34 pm »
Or better still, consign it to the underground burrow from whence it came!   I don't think this town gets any visitors due to its "association" with the Liddels.

The Japanese and other serious Alice fans got to Daresbury.    ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #280 on: January 06, 2012, 08:25:18 pm »
Yorkie you may be right,but the reason is because nobody in the town council has ever done anything to promote Alice until now,what did the council do to help keep the Rabbit hole going,they just let it close,oh sorry there was the Alice xmas light fiasco.

Offline Jack

« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2012, 09:02:29 am »
Yorkie you may be right,but the reason is because nobody in the town council has ever done anything to promote Alice until now,what did the council do to help keep the Rabbit hole going,they just let it close,oh sorry there was the Alice xmas light fiasco.

But surely the Rabbit hole was a private business, how would it be a good use of taxpayers money to buy it, why not use a room at Llandudno museum to tell the story of Alice if their is such a strong link to Lewis Carroll?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #282 on: January 09, 2012, 10:53:17 am »
Small pavement sweeper and small road sweeper messing about at West Shore this morning :o

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #283 on: January 09, 2012, 11:05:50 am »
Small pavement sweeper and small road sweeper messing about at West Shore this morning :o

they need a JCB, I suppose it's the wrong kind of sand for builders to use? or they could take it away!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline martin

« Reply #284 on: January 09, 2012, 11:19:02 am »
No good for building, contains too much salt.