Author Topic: Interesting and amusing YouTube videos  (Read 187054 times)

Online Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Interesting and amusing YouTube videos
« Reply #315 on: October 20, 2013, 12:11:22 pm »
I've seen this before but it's still good to watch.     $good$

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=A6XUVjK9W4o

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: October 20, 2013, 02:03:22 pm »
..and they'll be employed quickly by the film industry.   The two blokes doing the incredibly high free-fall water entries surprised me.  I estimated they'd have entered the water at between 55 - 75 mph, which is close to the limits of survivability. Technique has a lot to do with it, I suppose.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:51:29 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #317 on: October 21, 2013, 08:19:47 pm »
It is incredible that people work their way up to those levels.  The injuries being risked are incredible, but it is fantastic to watch.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Online Hugo

« Reply #318 on: October 22, 2013, 08:04:50 pm »

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #319 on: October 22, 2013, 08:36:46 pm »
The illusion, like most, is based on the fact that black looks the same at any depth.  In fact he did a bit too much of body covering.  A more open view would have improved the illusion and made it more plausible. 
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #320 on: October 23, 2013, 12:11:41 am »
The illusion, like most, is based on the fact that black looks the same at any depth.  In fact he did a bit too much of body covering.  A more open view would have improved the illusion and made it more plausible. 
 ZXZ

Yorkie???  Did you not see the 2nd part of the act?  That is not so easy to explain away, that was a fantastic illusion. Assuming it was an illusion?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: October 23, 2013, 07:46:58 am »
It wasn't, exactly.  Took me quite a while to figure out the second part, though - and it was very, very good.  We have the benefit of being able to replay it to study it, but the audience were clearly astonished when they lifted the top half of the sawn man off the trolley.  Did he win?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #322 on: October 23, 2013, 09:01:35 am »
 ZXZ

Yorkie???  Did you not see the 2nd part of the act?  That is not so easy to explain away, that was a fantastic illusion. Assuming it was an illusion?

Yes watched the lot.  Excellent presentation of the second part, but then again, it is an old illusion just presented in his style and format.   Watch this pint disappear and I'm no where near it!   Z**
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #323 on: October 23, 2013, 09:51:17 am »
Amazing, how was the second part done? Can anyone explain it?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #324 on: October 23, 2013, 11:02:19 am »
Yes, but that would spoil the fun.  Actually, I must add a spoiler mod for in here.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #325 on: October 23, 2013, 11:19:19 am »
This is a review of a book by Tug Wilson (stage name) who worked with a number of great illusionists from the fifties onwards.  Member of the Magic Circle until he passed on in 2011.  He stage managed the shows and even performed the Water Tank Escape himself.

Tug’s Tales
Tug Wilson (As told to Christopher Brinson)
colour illustrations.
The price is £15 and is post free in the UK http://www.arcadypress.co.uk/paypalshop/3_Magic.html

Sadly I (the reviewer) was too late to see touring illusion shows: but I have spoken to a few magicians who saw the likes of Dante and Kalanag. Tug Wilson went one better than my confidantes. He not only saw the shows, he actually worked with them as an assistant and Stage Manager: in particular Cecil Lyle, Murray and Les Levante, the latter two being Australian by birth.

Tug’s career as an assistant began in 1951 and lasted essentially until it just wasn’t possible to have a regular income in such a precarious profession. This booklet contains his memories of working with these three magicians, as told to Christopher Brinson.

It was a tough life but for a young man seeking adventure, clearly an exciting one – not to mention the attraction of being closeted with some glamorous female assistants for weeks at a time.

Tug tells some good stories of his life on the road, both in the UK and the Far East, and the book is lavishly illustrated - not only with memorabilia from the magicians’ tours (mostly from the Peter Lane collection) but also with photos from Tug’s own album. There are also potted biographies of the three magicians for those unfamiliar with their achievements.

You won’t learn any magical secrets from the booklet (although there is an intriguing description and presentation of Amac’s Elusive Lady); but you will learn some of the problems needed to tour an illusion show whilst providing a fascinating snapshot of an era that will never be repeated.

This is another publication from the prolific Arcady Press who are doing their best to preserve magic history before it fades forever. Apart from the slightly baffling index, I would certainly recommend this as an informative and entertaining read.

N.B. Tug was my (Yorkie's) Brother, so you can see I obtained a very close understanding of lots of the goings on, just don't ask me to reveal any secrets!    :D
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #326 on: October 28, 2013, 07:22:51 am »
Link didn't work
Cicero

Online Hugo

« Reply #327 on: October 28, 2013, 10:03:32 pm »
Have you ever seen a clock like this one? Keep watching … fascinating indeed!

Click Here
http://www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock.swf

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #328 on: October 28, 2013, 10:33:12 pm »
I can't see it?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #329 on: October 29, 2013, 07:44:13 am »
Hugo:  that's a flash app so anyone using iPads or iPhones can't view it.