Author Topic: Murder Most Foul....  (Read 60492 times)

Offline mel

Re: Murder Most Foul....
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2013, 08:15:19 pm »
can anyone remember a murder in the 70s,early i think about a girl who was found dead at the entrance of elephants cave.
The woman's name was Eirlys Roberts,23, from Old Colwyn and a waitress at the Howard Hotel in Llandudno. She had been strangled. The year was 1979. She was murdered by a man called Arthur Wynne, a convicted murderer who whilst in jail was a model prisoner and achieved a BA degree. He strangled her just two months after being released from prison.
Do you have more information on this case? Or Arthur Wynne's previous murder?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2013, 08:55:13 pm »
can anyone remember a murder in the 70s,early i think about a girl who was found dead at the entrance of elephants cave.
The woman's name was Eirlys Roberts,23, from Old Colwyn and a waitress at the Howard Hotel in Llandudno. She had been strangled. The year was 1979. She was murdered by a man called Arthur Wynne, a convicted murderer who whilst in jail was a model prisoner and achieved a BA degree. He strangled her just two months after being released from prison.
Do you have more information on this case? Or Arthur Wynne's previous murder?
Some press clippings are attached - click on them to view a larger version. His first victim:

WYNNE, Arthur (43): murder of Edith WILLIAMS (83) on 7 April 1967 at Bangor, by suffocation with cushions. Convicted

[smg id=3104]

[smg id=3105]

[smg id=3106]

Hope these help!  :)

Offline mel

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 11:02:26 am »
Thank you very much for these, researching family history and Arthur Wynne is (unfortunately!) my grandmothers brother! i no he has committed 2 murders, if anyone has any more info please let me no. thanks again for the newspaper cuttings x

Offline sunseeka

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2013, 05:39:28 pm »
There was also the murder of Karen Pooley in Colwyn Bay in 1986 on the wasteground where the old Colwyn Bay Hotel once stood.

According to http://www.britishmurders.co.uk/murder-content.php?key=7893&name=Thomas%20Ian%20Harrison

Thomas Harrison was originally convicted of the murder of Karen Pooley, but on appeal his conviction was reduced to manslaughter.

Thomas Harrison was disabled with cerebral palsy and regularly attended Bible classes. He met Karen Pooley at Colwyn Bay station when he was posting a letter. They spent some time together and then went towards some waste land where Karen Pooley was killed. Its not clear exactly what happened but it is thought Thomas Harrison had carried out an unatural sex act and strangled her.

He was originally convicted of murder but that was reduced to manslaughter on appeal.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2013, 06:20:54 pm »
I remember that one. The Police held a re-enactment of the victim's final walk, as I recall, in an attempt to jog people's memories. How the sentence was reduced to manslaughter, I'm not sure, when he strangled the poor girl.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2013, 10:26:31 pm »
The murder of Denise Reynolds was terrible.  :'(

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1992/01/01/BSP010192010/?s=Llandudno&st=0&pn=2

I remember the two lads that died in the Mini from school. One was called "Bobby" as I recall.  :'(

Someone from work was reading about this today, and informed me the top google link was in very bad taste (the second link is this site!) It's from a site called 'murderpedia' (I won't post a link as it's not nice but as I say it's the top link on google so not hard to find)
The question is why is this article, which is written in a jokey quite sick why the number 1 link, instead of a respected news site?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2013, 07:31:10 am »
It's not just Google;  DuckDuckGo also has it in first place.  Probably because someone involved has spent an inordinate amount of time to skew the results.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2013, 08:27:42 am »
One thing that's a little odd is that the Murderpedia article about Vernon Reynolds is written in a very misogynistic style, whereas the accounts of other murders are far more factual. I wonder who wrote it?

Offline Rosy

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2013, 03:37:02 pm »

Going back to the Red Gables case, careful reading of the newspaper article throws up more questions..

Late to this though I am, to return to Red Gables once more ... I also had a questions from the newspapers article though perhaps not as pertinent as Dave's.

One local states how regular the man is in his habits. "He would just have half a pint of Guinness and then go. He never stayed longer than half an hour. When we heard about all this on Friday night, no-one could believe it”.

And yet he had two gins that night, as well as a glass of Guinness. Very much not 'his normal self' - that's a pretty heavy half an hour, or an atypical prolonged stay.  ???

Signs that something was up were certainly there, alas, only those with the advantage of foresight are likely to recognise their significance. 

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2013, 04:22:03 pm »
Oh Dave, my friend who has helped me time and time again, WHAt The Hell does misogynistic style mean?
  I know I could look it up in a dictionary --- but, I.m not going to. I,m afraid it might mean some sort of sexual position  never mind yorkies old heart, mine is definitely older

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2013, 05:14:55 pm »
"misogynist": literally a woman hater...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline dmr

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2014, 07:20:58 pm »
Does anyone  remember the case of a son who murdered his parents in Llandudno. I think it was in the 1980s. Also a local lady found murdered on the great orme Llandudno in 1980s

Offline Cavernite

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2016, 12:36:08 pm »
Hi DMR

I haven't been on here for ages so just saw this. I have also been looking for info on this.

I believe the murderer was called John Keith Roberts, a local musician that i faintly knew.

I remember him doing a gig with a band in Winter's late 70's playing bass I think.

By all accounts he had a strict upbringing by religeous parents.

I think they lived on Caroline Rd or St Mary's Rd off Trinity Ave.

I seem to remember he was sent to a psychiatric unit.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2016, 02:57:45 pm »
Hi I was intrigued by all this and managed to get a copy of North Wales Murders second hand
on ebay.
 At the time of writing there are a couple of other copies on e bay for about£3 and
might be worth getting hold of if you are interested.?
    I hope someone  is inclined to update it.

Offline gazzel1166

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2017, 01:59:26 pm »

Hi DMR

I haven't been on here for ages so just saw this. I have also been looking for info on this.

I believe the murderer was called John Keith Roberts, a local musician that i faintly knew.

I remember him doing a gig with a band in Winter's late 70's playing bass I think.

By all accounts he had a strict upbringing by religeous parents.

I have also been looking for info on this and cannot find anything.

I think they lived on Caroline Rd or St Mary's Rd off Trinity Ave.

I seem to remember he was sent to a psychiatric unit.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 07:37:47 pm by Ian »