Author Topic: International politics  (Read 87571 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: International politics
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2017, 08:01:38 am »
That's a strong message, F, and very apt. If the manager doesn't actually manage, then the subordinates can simply ignore them. Trust he came to a sticky end?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2017, 11:34:25 am »
That's a strong message, F, and very apt. If the manager doesn't actually manage, then the subordinates can simply ignore them. Trust he came to a sticky end?

Well, in a way yes.  The company came to a sticky end, partly due to not focusing on the correct things (his fault)
We all got very nice redundancy deals, but he being one below Director level, got the best of all.
However in later years, I know that one of his children was killed in a skiing accident and the other is battling a terminal illness. I am being genuine when I say I wouldn't wish THOSE things on ANYONE!!
The parallel with Trump is more apparent the more I think about it.
The inertia that America is facing for the next 4 years, is down to the fact that Trump will assemble around him a team that CANNOT do what he recruited them to do.  Because no one can.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2017, 01:14:58 pm »

The inertia that America is facing for the next 4 years, is down to the fact that Trump will assemble around him a team that CANNOT do what he recruited them to do.  Because no one can.

In actual fact it really doesn't matter what Trump tries to do, the American system has built in checks and balances, put there by the Founding Fathers, just to deal with idiots like Donald. It takes all 3 branches of the American system of Government to agree for anything to get done and as already been shown sometimes they don't agree with him and stop his idiotic schemes.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2017, 01:19:08 pm »
But...it does afford him significant amounts of sheer power as Commander in Chief...

Mind you, you have to laugh at his latest faux pas. Banning some of the most respected news organisations from the White House means he cannot condemn any country in the world for censorship now.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2017, 01:36:39 pm »
I've just read that on the news Ian, it's an incredibly childish act of stupidity.

It's obvious that his Advisors are either doing a terrible job, or are being ignored.
Whichever it is, it's a waste of time and money employing them!
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2017, 02:01:32 pm »
I think it's the latter. He simply seems to do whatever he fancies as soon as the thought enters his head and before he forgets.  And you're right: he's behaving like a spoilt child. He has a photographic memory which was never developed.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2017, 06:20:06 pm »
President Trump said.... NATO is obsolete, and must be dismantled or swept away during his campaign and early weeks in power.
Today he announced to Congress,  'we strongly support NATO...'

Nice to see him sticking to his principles and not back peddling in any way.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2017, 04:31:01 pm »
In case anyone's interested, the expertly produced and scrupulously researched BBC 4 show - The Nazis - a warning from history - continues with some astonishing material. This week the Final Solution was again the topic and it examined the executions of Jews in Lithuania by Lithuanian volunteers.

They managed to interview one of the volunteers on camera and asked him how he'd felt about shooting children to death at point blank range. His responses were utterly chilling and demonstrated two things: that there are still those who would take pleasure out of heinous acts of mass slaughter both alive and well and that the Germans were far from the only people who seemed to relish genocide.

The series thus far has proved both compulsive watching and gripping viewing.  The most disturbing aspect for me, has been the simple fact that this was very far from the deranged actions of a single madman. This was concerted evil, carried out by very large numbers of people, either prepared to look the other way or to actively assist in the extermination of anyone not obviously and apparently from their own country or of their own religion.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2017, 04:56:13 pm »
I believe I might be able to get it on  iplayer, will have a go, sounds interesting, I agree it caƱnot all be blamed on one man, also that a christian country could resort to such methods, difficult to understand.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2017, 09:08:10 am »
If you haven't seen this, I can assure you that it's both hilarious and sickening at the same time - and if it wasn't Evan Davis (who can hardly manage to keep a straight face) it could possibly be from a comedy programme....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39186644
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2017, 09:56:11 am »
In the wake of yesterdays atrocities comes another disgraceful manipulation of the truth by Trump's team -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39361079

It beggars belief as to how low they can get.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2017, 11:30:44 am »
Sadly this terror attack is Christmas come early for some people. I'm not talking about the people who support the terrorists but the people using this as a stick to to 'prove' the point they have been correct all along with their warped right wing agendas. &shake&

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2017, 05:20:02 pm »
Sadly this terror attack is Christmas come early for some people. I'm not talking about the people who support the terrorists but the people using this as a stick to to 'prove' the point they have been correct all along with their warped right wing agendas. &shake&

I wholly agree. Very sadly, it's in this manner that the terrorists with these atrocities are having success.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2017, 09:18:02 pm »
This is wholly sickening, an Asian doctor being dragged off an aircraft in the USA because the flight company had overbooked seats and wanted their own personnel on the flight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39554421

In my opinion, this type of behaviour has been tacitly endorsed by Trump and his rhetoric.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2017, 11:23:23 am »
The story is a bit misleading as it says "No one volunteered, so United decided to choose for us. They chose an Asian doctor and his wife."

As I understand it - four passengers were chosen at random - this quote suggests they were colour coded!