Author Topic: European Union Vote  (Read 145231 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Valar Morghulis

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: European Union Vote
« Reply #346 on: July 08, 2016, 11:27:08 pm »
A rather brilliant piece by Ian Hislop, who states quite correctly, that having lost a general election doesn't stop the opposition asking questions for five years, and having lost the referendum doesn't stop those opposed questioning the rationale and way forward. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36742691
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #347 on: July 12, 2016, 08:12:37 am »
Charlie Hebdo paints a fascinating picture of the situation:

https://charliehebdo.fr/edito/racists-go-home/
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #348 on: July 12, 2016, 10:57:08 am »

I repeat my call for a Public Enquiry and (as much good as it will do...) I have written in that vein to my MP.

I have recieved a reply today from Guto Bebb MP who states that he has recieved a large amount of correspondence on the Referendum result and agrees that the Leave campaign lied, but states that 'Yes, the Leave campaign lied, but all these lies were highlighted during the campaign. The people opted not to listen. We now have a huge mess to address and we must work to mitigate the damage done'. He makes no mention in his letter of my call for a public enquiry.

Having read his letter, I actually think that as he said, he has had a great deal of correspondence on the matter and I have simply recieved his standard 'photocopy' reply.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:16:37 pm by Ian »
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #350 on: July 23, 2016, 12:25:27 pm »
Some interesting comments in this piece ...... &shake&

What will Brexit mean for Polish 'ghost towns'?

"With close to a million Poles living and working in the UK, and sending back more than a billion euros each year, many in the country were hoping that Britain would vote to remain a member of the EU."

"The Polish government, Mr Wojnarowski predicts, "will not be trading freedom of movement for access to the common market"
"The powers that be will have to listen to the "voice of the ordinary people," whose wives, sons and daughters are working in the UK, he believes."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36854272

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #352 on: July 27, 2016, 05:02:02 pm »
This piece is really worrying...

https://medium.com/@theonlytoby/history-tells-us-what-will-happen-next-with-brexit-trump-a3fefd154714#.sjulbyirw

The scenario's are similar to those in 'Prisoners of Geography' by Tim Marshall. It's not 'really worrying', it's very frightening.......

Offline SteveH

« Reply #353 on: July 27, 2016, 05:05:10 pm »
Interesting and scary read, it hits a bit to close to home.     &shake&

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #354 on: August 06, 2016, 09:11:38 am »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #355 on: August 06, 2016, 11:05:22 am »
The news doesn't really get any better, either...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/05/brit_scientist_exclusion_from_eu_funding/

I have read recently, exactly the same situation with our universities, being dropped from EU funded research projects.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #356 on: August 06, 2016, 11:07:50 am »
That seems unfair, given that we will be paying in to it for the next 3 years at least?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #357 on: August 06, 2016, 11:23:13 am »
I agree. But this is probably the 'punishment' some were anticipating.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #358 on: August 06, 2016, 04:58:22 pm »
That seems unfair, given that we will be paying in to it for the next 3 years at least?
I agree. But this is probably the 'punishment' some were anticipating.

I think it's a case of the individual European research projects, distancing themselves from the UK, in case it jeopardises their EU funding.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #359 on: August 07, 2016, 08:05:34 am »
Sad that they see it that way, though.