Author Topic: European Union Vote  (Read 145155 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: European Union Vote
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2016, 05:22:06 pm »
Steve,   Statistics are only believable if you can compare like for like.   Unless a country has a benefit system similar to ours then exact comparisons cannot be made.
Take  Ireland as an example, does anyone believe that there are only 2,620 Irish people claiming JSA  in the UK?     I would imagine that there are that many in Liverpool alone.
In addition JSA  is only one benefit and various Governments of the UK have altered the goal posts on benefits to give a false impression of actually how many people are not working.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2016, 07:19:45 pm »
A rather wise man said to me today, 'a vote to leave is a vote to have that muppet Boris Johnson as PM immediately, if that's not enough reason to vote stay, I don't know what is'

I reflected about that and thought, Boris as PM, Trump as US President and Putin in the Kremlin, might as well just blow the world up now!
But if this happens, WE let it happen!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2016, 08:51:32 am »
This is just a single example of how the DFM is attempting to manipulate the voters and why I detest the rag:

DFM reporting
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2016, 09:39:56 am »
Interesting to see how lacklustre Jeremy Corbyn has been about staying in the EU. He's barely been visible during the campaigning and any utterances have the feel of 'going through the motions' to them.

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2016, 11:29:08 am »
This is one of the biggest questions on which any of us will ever get to get to cast a vote.
Together, we will decide whether this country will break away from the EU or stay part of a community of more than 500 million people.
WalesOnline and our sister paper the Western Mail believe that Wales' future will be far better served by the UK remaining a member of the EU.

Here are nine reasons why:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/nine-reasons-wales-better-vote-11457573

Offline hollins

« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2016, 03:33:04 pm »
I empathise with this reader of the Telegraph.....

"SIR – On June 23 I intend to vote for whichever side irritates me the least.

It will be a damn close-run thing."

Dr Paddy Fielder
Woodbridge, Suffolk

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2016, 04:02:27 pm »
That is probably why I am still unlikely to vote.
Unless my loathing of Boris Johnson forces the issue...
Fester...

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2016, 05:01:56 pm »
Like it, H :-))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2016, 09:00:29 pm »
The money we send the EU certainly comes back to us......how can we possibly live without the help and guidance they so generously give us in spending our own money?
Well, here are a few reasons below to consider.

Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant.
Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant.
Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers pension funds.
Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.
British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.
Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan.
Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.
M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan.
Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with with EU grants.
Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant.
Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant.
Indesit at Bodelwyddan gone with EU grant.
Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.
Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.
ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs
Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.
JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.
UK airports are owned by a Spanish company.
Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company.
Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies.
The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.
Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.
39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU
The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK. The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn't paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK. Name me one major technology company still running in the UK, We used to contract out to many, then the work just dried up as they were sold off to companies from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc., and now we don't even teach electronic technology for technicians any more, due to EU regulations.

I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don't even go there.

I haven't mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany.

Find something that's gone the other way, I've looked and I just can't.

Still want to stay? Well it must be some consolation that you have Cameron to negotiate in Europe on your behalf.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2016, 07:35:58 am »
Blongb: if you're going to quote entire Facebook posts then please credit the original source and show clearly that what you're saying is a quote and not your own research. Especially when so much of it is actually wrong...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2016, 11:28:26 am »
That is a real problem, and a massive problem in the run up to the actual vote.
I have seen these things on Facebook too, several times a day, and everyone I speak to are 100% unshakeable in these 'facts'
I have never known a situation where such entrenched positions are being taken by the vast majority, without even considering that their facts 'could' be wrong.
I have hardly met a soul who is voting to remain, plus I have hardly met a soul who is 'undecided' but the 'facts' that they use to base this decision on are questionable at best, or just plain propaganda.

So, assuming we leave the EU, and the new Govt doesn't immediately create 10 million cushy jobs at £100k a year (for Brits only), kick every foreign person out within a month and make Britain into a paradise, there are going to be a lot of bitterly aggrieved 'Leave' voters wondering what the hell is going wrong.
Fester...

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2016, 12:01:48 pm »
Well, no doubt the Leave campaign will blame everyone but themselves when it all goes wrong. I still can't quite understand why anyone would vote for a group that lies openly about the cost of EU membership.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2016, 12:08:07 pm »
It's got momentum I will say that - it's turning into the old 'novelty' protest vote. Protest votes are fine for a bit of fun like when Rage against the machine were Christmas number 1  :P

But a 'protest' vote to leave is like cutting off your ears and nose in protest at your bad haircut  :rage:

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2016, 12:14:13 pm »
What I can't understand is that everybody who is anybody advocates we should remain and a bunch of failed Tory MPs trying to secure cabinet positions with BoJo as PM say we should leave by stating a load of lies and promises they can't hope to keep YET they appear to be winning.
Trump is also lying his way to US president with seemingly the same result.
What has the world come to???
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2016, 12:35:51 pm »
Well George Osborne has already told us what will happen if the UK votes to leave the EU.       He said he's going to increase taxes and make  cuts to all our services, but hey isn't he doing that already and we are still in the EU.     
He'll increase taxes for the working person but not for the rich and famous who will still be able to avoid paying their fair share of tax, just like Osborne has done himself.
MP's at worst, are telling lies about the facts that they are spouting and at best are just being economical with the truth.
They are not giving us the correct figures on immigration which are much higher than the official figures and our Border Force is in a dire situation.