Author Topic: Karden House Hotel, Charlton Street, Llandudno Information Sought  (Read 2540 times)

Offline mrsides

Hello

I live within Karden House Hotel, Charlton Street, Llandudno. I am trying to gather information, memories & photographs of this building. I have contacted the Llandudno Archives office they suggested I look here and kindly provided the following -

We have found by looking through various street directories that Karden House has had other names in the past. The 1911, 1922, 1925 and 1925 directories list it as Glenroy and it is designated apartments.  1939 it is called Garnedd and listed as a boarding house.  In the late 1950s  and 60s it has been divided into flats with no name just number 16. I could not find any photographs of the house but I did find that the threetownsforum.co.uk has an image of Glenroy on their website. If you were able to spare the time I’m sure you could find out more about the history of this house by looking at census records and rate books here at the Archive.  There is an also an extensive collection of illustrated holiday brochures which may also be a source of information. 

If anyone can provide any additional information I would be very grateful.

Thank You

Mark

Offline Jack

Re: Karden House Hotel, Charlton Street, Llandudno Information Sought
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 04:09:44 pm »
Glenroy, Charlton Street  ;)

Offline mrsides

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:07:03 pm »
Thanks for that, that's the pic the archive people linked me too a fantastic picture

$thanx$

Offline temperance

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 10:14:46 am »
Hi

The Archives people seem to have been very helpful. Could I suggest that you try Welsh Newspapers Online - digitised copies of various newspapers in Wales, up to 1919? I've tried Glenroy and Llandudno in searches there, but a quick look doesn't produce any matches. Worth a bit more digging, I would imagine, as there were lists of people staying in Llandudno, and where they stayed, so holiday apartments might be in there somewhere.

You can also try British Newspapers Archive, but you have to pay to subscribe to that. Maybe someone can trawl that for you?

Best of luck, and do let us know what you find!

T   

Offline temperance

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 11:02:03 am »
Hold on a minute!

Before leaving the webpage, I took another look in Welsh Newspapers Online. Put "Glenroy" alone into search, select "Llandudno Advertiser" on the left, and....results. At least 15 pages!! ;D

Do let us know how you get on.

T

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 11:10:52 am »
this is from a Holiday Magazine dated 1954